DVDVR Message Board

Let's Do the Right Thing!!!

OSJ

I wasn't sure if I should just post this in the WWE HOF discussion thread, but upon reflection, I think all would agree with me that at the very least Dick Beyer merits his own thread. Yeah, I caught only the tail end of his career, but thanks to the constant raves his work received from people whose opinions I respect a great deal at theOtherArena and Wrestling Classics, (JDW, Steve Yohe, Boston Idol, to name but a few), I was convinced to seek out tapes of AJPW featuring the Destroyer. And yes, the search was well worth the effort. No, he's not my favorite old-school guy, that spot is reserved for Johnny Valentine, but I have to admit that in nearly every aspect the Destroyer was a better worker than Valentine.

Apparently Mr. Beyer has expressed to some fans that it would be meaningful to him to be inducted into the WWE HOF (he's in every other wrestling HOF). If we can spend pages discussing the merits (or lack thereof) of Big Steph as Authority Figure or making up funny names for Bangagong Strumbanjo, we can certainly devote a couple of minutes to click here: 

https://www.change.org/p/enshrine-the-destroyer-dick-beyer-in-the-wwe-hall-of-fame

Dick Beyer has spent his entire adult life (over fifty years) doing his best to entertain folks like us and in a business filled with bitter backstabbers who will go out of their way to try and build themselves up by tearing someone else down, I can't recall anyone, ever, having a bad word to say about Dick Beyer. In fact, when his name is brought up in conversation, it's generally followed by "a great guy" or similar description. Dick's not getting any younger and if we can make an old man who has given us so much entertainment over the years some happiness by way of saying "thank you" by letting the WWE know how we feel, then by all means let's spread the word...

• Like 2

A couple of people IM'd me to say that (1.) this is a swell idea and (2.) the link doesn't work. I dunno, I click on the link and it eventually just times out. However, if I cut and paste it into my browser, I'm over in the clover. I blame Rippa.

https://www.change.org/p/enshrine-the-destroyer-dick-beyer-in-the-wwe-hall-of-fame

Yup - because if there is one thing Vince McMahon loves to do is listen to the fans.

But clearly I am the stick in the mud so I will just remind everyone the last time OSJ brought up change.org and go back to shaking my fist

Awww, gee whilikers, you remembered... And IIRC, we all learned valuable information regarding the dire plight of the housing of zoo bats, (such as Piranesi's uncle)     who are forced to struggle along with only basic cable for their entertainment. The zoos also have tremendous restrictions regarding visitors, otherwise Piranesi's uncle would have hosted one of his justly famous Superbowl parties. All in all, the poor chap feels he was completely mislead by the facility's brochures. 

You'll be happy to know that my uncle is awaiting his senate committee confirmation vote to become the new chair of the Federal Aviation Administration. He is a big-time reformer and wants to eliminate all big government regulations requiring the following for pilots:

1) eyesight

2) drug/alcohol screening

3) sex registry background checks

4) fingers (excepting a single thumb)

5) passing a written test

6) not having daylight narcolepsy

7) lice/rabies check

The only problem right now is a few obstructors claiming that the vote shouldn't go forward until anyone can tell him apart from the the other 14 million members of his colony. It shouldn't be a problem because they all feel the same way.

• Like 1