DVDVR Message Board

2016-17 NBA - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

Rubio's fantastic recent stretch aside, I'm not sure he's exactly the kind of player New York needs, especially given the planned re- emphasizing of the triangle next year. A ball dominant point guard who doesn't shoot well is kinda the opposite of what Phil always loved in the role.

Of course, that's still better than a broken down, washed up ball dominant point guard that can't shoot well. 

But you are going with the idea that using the triangle offense is smart to do in today's NBA. Any sane person would see the value of having an assist machine paired with Porzingis, but not Phil.  Phil needs to go or we are looking at another decade of the Knicks being an embarrassment to professional basketball. 

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

But you are going with the idea that using the triangle offense is smart to do in today's NBA. Any sane person would see the value of having an assist machine paired with Porzingis, but not Phil.  Phil needs to go or we are looking at another decade of the Knicks being an embarrassment to professional basketball. 

Well, clearly. But even then, Rubio's lack of shooting hurts his ability to do anything else (him suddenly knocking down shots, again, notwithstanding) and, more importantly, Hornacek just came out this past week to tell us he's going to abandon the hybrid offense they've ran this year to go with Phil's pet offense. Because Phil refuses to believe the game has changed.

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, clearly. But even then, Rubio's lack of shooting hurts his ability to do anything else (him suddenly knocking down shots, again, notwithstanding) and, more importantly, Hornacek just came out this past week to tell us he's going to abandon the hybrid offense they've ran this year to go with Phil's pet offense. Because Phil refuses to believe the game has changed.

Yup I know. Knicks are in a hole and their plan to get out of it is to keep on digging.

The Kings are asking the 76ers for permission to interview Sam Hinkie for an unspecified front office job.

Having the Kings be bad on purpose instead of through incompetence will at least be new and different.

• Like 2

The Boston Celtics are now in first place in the East.  I will say that of course I would be very surprised if they actually beat the Cavs in a series. However, this is more about Danny Ainge. I've been hard on him about adding a max player.  I didn't necessarily want or need Cousins but I wanted someone.  That said, I take a step back and just look at what he's done. He hires Stevens, best young coach in the NBA.  Then he turns aging KG, Pierce and later Rondo into Thomas, Crowder, Jaylen Brown and maybe the #1 pick in this year's draft as well as possibly a lottery pick the year after. He also drafts Avery Bradley. And they still have that room for a max player.

Bulls have swept the Cavs this season.

Mirotic raining threes and Rondo with 15 assists.

They'll probably lose the remaining games and trade Jimmy Butler in the off season.

I'm so sick of this endless Westbrook over Harden for MVP bullshit. Both have exactly the same number of all stars as teammates: ZERO. Harden is making all his teammates better than they are, and Russ's teammates are making Westbrook's stats better than they are. And Harden's team has won 8 more games. Let's not forget that the Rockets were predicted to finish barely making the playoffs and the Thunder were predicted to finish with the 4 seed. So do we reward the guy who has his team playing better and finishing with 8 more wins or do we reward the guy with 2 more (completely manufactured) rebounds per game and an underperforming team?

and this: 

• Like 2

I find it slightly amazing how many people seem absolutely locked into one MVP candidate or another, when they both had literally unprecedented in modern NBA history seasons. In the last 40 years, there have have only been four times a guy put together three straight games of 30+ points and 10+ assists. Michael Jordan in 1989 and James Harden three times this year. He's the first guy to average 28 PPG, 11 APG, and 8 RPG since Robertson. James Harden is absolutely having an MVP season.

Westbrook averaged a triple double and led the league in scoring. He's had 42 triple doubles. He's absolutely having an MVP season.

They both carried less than ideal rosters to playoff spots.

Anyone acting like this is a closed case done deal that's not even close for either guy is just being obtuse. There isn't a wrong answer between the two of them.

Plus LeBron's still the best player in the NBA anyway.

• Like 3

I can't believe I'm gonna side with Lawful here, but I'm on the Harden train, and I can't stand the dude. I think there is alot of merit to the Westbrook stat-padding talk. Not just rebounds either, I've seen plenty of times where he passes up wide open shots, so he can get his double digits in assists. Scoring wise, he's having a beast of a season and I wouldn't want to face him in the playoffs, but I won't act like he hasn't manufactured some numbers.

Giannis Antetokounmpo is about to end the season as the FIRST. PLAYER. EVER.  to finish Top 20 in points, assists, steals, rebounds, and blocks.

He is 22 years old.

No matter who wins MVP I think we can all agree that basketball fans have an embarrassment of riches.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Giannis Antetokounmpo is about to end the season as the FIRST. PLAYER. EVER.  to finish Top 20 in points, assists, steals, rebounds, and blocks.

He is 22 years old.

No matter who wins MVP I think we can all agree that basketball fans have an embarrassment of riches.

Giannis is awesome.

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

He is 22 years old.

Seriously, who would have thought we'd have multiple seven footers who are superstar caliber perimeter players.  Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Giannis, Karl Anthony-Towns, apparently Ben Simmons is now seven feet tall, and who knows who is coming down the pike.  We are seeing something crazy, and all of those dudes are under 30.

You are witnessing the revolution of the game.  It started when guys like Olajuwon, Nowitzki, Duncan, etc, moved away from the basket because they were taught to shoot and play just like any other Forward.  The game has changed and the era of the Big Bruising Center (Shaq, Ewing, Laimbeer) is over. 

Long live 7 footers shooting impossible to block 3's.