DVDVR Message Board

2016-17 NBA - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

I still am of the mindset that Giannis Antetokounmpo needs to get more credit for MVP then he's going to get, especially with the Bucks making a push for the playoffs.

Top 15 in PPG and RPG, Top 6 in SPG and BPG, 3rd among all non guards in APG, and shooting 53% from the field on the year. Is there anything he isn't very good at?

• Like 3

On 3/11/2017 at 11:17 PM, El Dragon said:

I still am of the mindset that Giannis Antetokounmpo needs to get more credit for MVP then he's going to get, especially with the Bucks making a push for the playoffs.

Top 15 in PPG and RPG, Top 6 in SPG and BPG, 3rd among all non guards in APG, and shooting 53% from the field on the year. Is there anything he isn't very good at?

Outside shooting, but that's pretty much it. His overall defensive game still has room to improve, but that's expected at his age, and he makes up for at least some of it with big plays on that end.

But his team isn't good enough to get him in the discussion, especially with the stat lines Westbrook and Harden keep putting up, and the recent push off Leonard, plus LeBron still being LeBron.

Parsons out for the year AGAIN. With the same knee injury as the last two years.  Kinda feel for the dude. Before he went down last year, he was looking like a potential franchise guy, but I feel like his window is officially closed now. I liked having him as a Mav, and he seems like a decent dude. Sucks for him.

Seems it's perfectly okay when San Antonio and Golden State rest their players over the last few years, but if Cleveland tries it.... 

Holy shit it's the end of the god damned world. 

Adam Silver says there will now be "significant penalties" for teams that rest players without adequate notice. 

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 10:20 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Seems it's perfectly okay when San Antonio and Golden State rest their players over the last few years, but if Cleveland tries it.... 

Holy shit it's the end of the god damned world. 

Adam Silver says there will now be "significant penalties" for teams that rest players without adequate notice. 

This may be the straw that broke the camels back after Golden State and San Antonio just had a bench vs bench televised match up last week. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Didn't the Cavs game also tank in the ratings? I'm sure that's where Silver is getting a lot of pressure from. The networks paid for a certain product and they're not getting it because players are resting.

There was a study done that said players are 3.5 times more likely to be injured playing in road back to backs.  If you are competing for a championship, why would you risk injuring your best players because the schedule is stupid?  If one of those players gets injured playing in a meaningless game, they'd miss more than the league leading 5 games that LeBron has missed this season for rest.  There is no good argument against resting players on road back to backs.

I think going back to a five game first round might solve some of these issues. You can spread out the regular season a little bit more and there will hopefully be more jockeying for position among the top teams because upsets are more likely in a five game series.

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

There was a study done that said players are 3.5 times more likely to be injured playing in road back to backs.  If you are competing for a championship, why would you risk injuring your best players because the schedule is stupid?  If one of those players gets injured playing in a meaningless game, they'd miss more than the league leading 5 games that LeBron has missed this season for rest.  There is no good argument against resting players on road back to backs.

Both games for the Cavs were in the same city. Not sure the long bus ride to and from the hotel is that strenuous.

Also, they rested their players in a nationally televised game, and chose to play them the next night against the second worst team in the league. This is were the blowback is coming from.

• Like 1

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart and my heart will go on and on  

- Celine Dion

• Like 1

The idea that the Knicks could've traded Rose for Rubio (who is exactly the type of player they need) but Phil Jackson had to play hardball until the T Wolves changed their minds blows my mind. It's a contest between Phil and Joe Sackic over who is the worst GM in all of American pro sports.