DVDVR Message Board

2016-17 NBA - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

Pat Riley has called a news conference at 3 for some reason.  This paired with this tweet:

.... makes me think Miami has bought out Chris Bosh and he's retiring.  

Of course, it's being reported that Bosh is only joining for 5 weeks, so...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I figured the deal with Bosh was the Heat are relieving him because they know he can't play 25 games for another team this season. He might reitre but right now it feels like Daniel Bryan all over again. 

Hibbert never played a single game for the Bucks, talk about a definitive salary dump. Hawes hasn't played a game yet either. They really just wanted to dump that idiotic Plumlee contract that's for sure.

29 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Nikola Mirotic is still a Bull.

Taj is gone.

This team, man.

Payne makes it four PG's that can't shoot and is coming off injury, Morrow is a good shooter that is shooting 29% from 3 for the season, and even if Lauvergne turns out to be solid he's a FA the coming offseason. They traded Taj and Doug (Who I was ready to part with but is a rotation player) for nothing essentially.

And the front office is going nowhere. I don't know why I watch anymore. That was more a tank move than a rebuild move but it failed on both accounts.

Maybe, there's a chance they push for Terrence Jones or Deron Williams since they were waved but I doubt it.

36 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Hibbert never played a single game for the Bucks, talk about a definitive salary dump. Hawes hasn't played a game yet either. They really just wanted to dump that idiotic Plumlee contract that's for sure.

They got back a second-round pick that will never convey, so they basically got equal value in return.

46 minutes ago, brocklock said:

Maybe, there's a chance they push for Terrence Jones or Deron Williams since they were waved but I doubt it.

Oh good Deron Williams. I'm going to go fix a bath. 

Well, Brewer for Lou Williams is great and all, but I don't know what to expect with the last two trades.  KJ McDaniels and Tyler Ennis for nothing, and I guess we'll try to sign Bogut?  I hhhhhate Bogut and his moving screens but I guess if he's doing it FOR Harden instead of against him, it'll be okay.  He'd probably not play unless we're playing a team with a big frontcourt.  If not Bugut, then I don't know.  I'm sure Morey's got some guy in China or Siberia that can go.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Oh good Deron Williams. I'm going to go fix a bath. 

Looking at his stats this season, I regret that post. He might be a better fit than Rondo with Wade/Jimmy but that's probably it. I'd still be fine if they go after Terrence Jones. But, I figure he'll have plenty of suitors.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Derrick Rose to Minnesota appears to be dead.  The Wolves were going to send Ricky Rubio to NY, but Phil wanted more (Bjelica).  Minnesota has steadfastly said no. 

Me- Phil Jackson is the worst executive in the entire league.

Collangelo- Hold my beer.

• Like 1

D-Will was actually REALLY solid for us, especially late in games. His IQ really shows now that his body is breaking down. Mavs made the right move with the buyout so he can choose his own destiny.

With that said, I am soooooo on board with Yogi being our guy now. He and Noel will have a fun PnR game.

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of Deron Williams. Could Cavs sign him?  That seems like the logical place for him.

The future of the Bulls is horrendous right now. We can't build a team around Jimmy Butler. Who'd want to come here? Even he talks about paranoia between the lockeroom and the front office. Surprised Celts didn't make bigger moves. That Nets pick for George or Butler doesn't really seem like an awful idea. 

Noel in Dallas seems almost too perfect. A coach who has a track record developing young guys in Detroit and Indiana at least, a young, athletic center who seems to have a best case upside as "Tyson Chandler 2.0' landing on the team that Ty had his best seasons, and a team that has basically spent most of the last half decade+ (except that one year) searching for a new Tyson Chandler.

They got him for two guys who have completely fallen out of their rotation, and likely a pair of second round picks. Great move. 

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Noel in Dallas seems almost too perfect. A coach who has a track record developing young guys in Detroit and Indiana at least, a young, athletic center who seems to have a best case upside as "Tyson Chandler 2.0' landing on the team that Ty had his best seasons, and a team that has basically spent most of the last half decade+ (except that one year) searching for a new Tyson Chandler.

They got him for two guys who have completely fallen out of their rotation, and likely a pair of second round picks. Great move. 

I'm still scratching my head as to why the Sixers made that trade. How did it benefit them in any way? Just awful asset management.

It wasn't a great return but it was a fair return.

FIrst Noel was done here after this season. He's going to get in the neighborhood of 20 million or more per year. That's too much for a backup center. Which is what he would be here. Between him and Embiid getting paid next year that would be close to half our cap space to 1 position. Noel has shown pretty clearly he is not a 4. 

Trade partners for him were limited to teams that would be willing to pay him this offseason. The fact that they have to pay him diminishes his value. A team acquiring him wouldn't even have a guarantee that he will stay. That is likely since they can match. Noel could do what Monroe did and just accept the qualifying offer and wait to be an unrestricted free agent. That was more likely to happen had he stayed here though than with a new team. 

It is annoying that they put that protected first in the trade with no chance of actually getting it. A blatant public relations stunt to make headlines look better. Annoying since we don't even really need another first. We have 5 in the next 3 years already. Our own, Lakers pick this year top 3 protected or unprotected next year, and the Kings 2019 pick unprotected. Of course didn't need more 2nds either really.  

The only real argument for keeping Noel IMO was that maybe his value increases after he is signed. Since he would be under guaranteed team control longer. That would come with risks though like an injury. Better to keep cap flexibility for a position of need. I suppose some people might want Embiid insurance. That limits the type of talent you can put around him. 

It was a good move for Dallas but doesn't come without risk. Noel is still very much a project considering the cap cost. He has consistently trended in the right direction though. Remember this though from earlier in the season:

"Wojnarowski said that Philadelphia’s Nerlens Noel is seeing his stock drop across the league. The more teams see of him, Wojnarowski said, the less teams like him.  
“The research teams have done on him is not good,” Wojnarowski said. “They don’t get good reports back, their intel on how he’s carried himself there, of his habits. It’s not a great return, so there are teams willing to do a deal for him and bring him in, but they don’t want to give up much, so at some point there Philly’s gotta make a decision, ‘What’s the best we can get for him?’ I think at some point he probably moves, too.” 

I don't think the risk is all that high though. I think it is a trade that should work out for Dallas. Our future is Embiid. That comes with risk as well. Just with much higher reward potential. Can't say my expectations for Justin Anderson are all that high but he'll have his chances here. We do need some guys that can get out and run with Simmons once he is ready to go; which might be next year. Anderson looks tentative a lot. Maybe Brett Brown's personality will suit him better.  

What sucks is that we didn't trade Okafor too. Was ready for Holmes to step into the backup center position. Honestly close to torture watching the guy play sometimes. 

"Nerlens Noel lives in Conshohocken and his place is trash."

I overheard that in line to a game last year. I think there is more going on with that dude beyond being sort of overrated by Sixers fans (go figure). He can finish and is a good defender but he isn't a $20 million player. Let someone else overlay him and get what you can. That the answer is "not much" from a guy who flipped Jerami Grant into Ersan and a pick into more picks (knows what he is doing) is telling.