DVDVR Message Board

SDL IS THE SHOW OF THE YEAR... AGAIN!!! (022117)

RIPPA

BTW - I really enjoyed on Talking Smack how AJ was putting over how hard Miz hits - it was amazing.

Also - it is subtle but they seemed to have backed away from the AJ/Shane stuff. I mean they still have several weeks to go but like last night - AJ said to Bryan's face that he thought Shane would have handled the Battle Royal finish better

American Alpha could have easily done good for themselves by just continuing to invite the Uso's into the ring. Like, when the camera cuts to them they one could have been holding open the ropes and the other one gesturing "step up, motherfuckers". They should have been like, "your over there talking and we are over here ready to fight". Instead they just stood there sort of flexing. 

And RE: The Miz. Another example of the E slotting a guy where they think he is and then being completely oblivious to the work the guy is doing and the reactions he is getting. Seriously, tell me there is a reason that Ambrose has that belt? It's a waste. And I like Ambrose a lot. It would just be much more entertaining for the show for Miz to have it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

American Alpha could have easily done good for themselves by just continuing to invite the Uso's into the ring. Like, when the camera cuts to them they one could have been holding open the ropes and the other one gesturing "step up, motherfuckers". They should have been like, "your over there talking and we are over here ready to fight". Instead they just stood there sort of flexing. 

And RE: The Miz. Another example of the E slotting a guy where they think he is and then being completely oblivious to the work the guy is doing and the reactions he is getting. Seriously, tell me there is a reason that Ambrose has that belt? It's a waste. And I like Ambrose a lot. It would just be much more entertaining for the show for Miz to have it.

To drop it to Corbin, who needs a big victory at Mania. Miz doesn't need it long term, but it's a good rub for Corbin.

• Like 1

Miz should have carried the IC belt into WM.  Threatened to break the Honky Tonk Man's title reign record. Heck, let him break it. Retire Ziggler, all that jazz.  Meanwhile, find a baby face to build up to take the strap off Miz at SummerSlam 2017. Probably could have built Slater for it if they had followed through with the Rhyno breakup.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Personally, I think it's criminal the way they're wasting Cena on what will probably be a mixed tag at WrestleMania.  The dude's not fucking Hogan, you don't have to cover him the fact he can't move anymore.  Cena can still go and he's still one of their top draws.  Give him a fucking one-on-one - hell, do it against Miz.  It's not like they don't have history one-on-one at WrestleMania.  Cena has an unavenged loss, which led into him losing to Rock the following year.  Easy storyline.

Sucks for Naomi, but at least Bryan's explanation on Talking Smack made sense - any other time, it'd be fine, but things are different when WrestleMania's around the corner and they can't risk not having a champion going into WrestleMania, especially when the "women's revolution" had its big moment (reintroducing the women's championship) just last year.  At this rate I'd imagine it's Alexa vs. Becky at Mania.

I hate any finish that makes referees look stupid, and that finish made every referee look stupid.  On the bright side, Harper vs. Styles next week, and I'll never complain about THAT.  

SmackDown is truly the best show on TV, even counting any random indies.  You can see actual character growth on SmackDown.  Honestly, if they moved Strowman, Joe, Owens and Gallows/Anderson over, I'd have no reason whatsoever to watch Raw.

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this but the reason Cena is teaming with Nikki  (there are 2 reasons)

1. Cena is supposedly proposing to her after the match

2. Cena is taking time off after Mania and they couldn't put him in a title/main event storyline.

If they don't do AJ/Shane. Could they run an inter-brand match between Roman Reigns and AJ. Taker didn't look too good at the Rumble and AJ/Reigns would be a good match. Put Steph in Roman's corner and Shane in AJ's corner. This way you get the McMahons involved without having Shane actually in a match.

• Like 2

I think Rollins will be back in time. Really the thing is Taker/Reigns is somehow less interesting than AJ/Shane. At least with AJ/Shane we'll get some crazy ass Shane bump. Taker/Reigns would be Reigns trying to work around an immobile 53 year old man. So the easiest solution is to take the active wrestlers from the two matches and put them together. Plus Steph interfering in favor of Reigns could be an interesting subplot how she cares more about beating her brother than humiliating the guy who beat her husband at last year's Mania

Miz has had an all-time great year. He gets to have a WM match against the biggest star of his generation. Huge reward for a guy who has had an awesome year. It also gives Nikki a really quality goodbye (I'm not a fan, at all, but she's an actual mainstream star because of Total Divas) and lets the very talented Maryse in the mix, too.

That Usos promo was the hotness. I liked it because they talked all that junk while behind a security barrier. Great heel hypocrisy there -- claiming AA are afraid and paranoid while they can backpedal out of the scene the first second Gable and Jordan say jump.

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this but the reason Cena is teaming with Nikki  (there are 2 reasons)

2. Cena is taking time off after Mania and they couldn't put him in a title/main event storyline.

Well of course they're going to have a match that's integral to Total Divas storylines. Or Total Bellas, whichever. At least with this one, they won't say it got bumped because Taker's match went long.

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

He could have put a guy over.   Instead of cutting AJ's balls off he could have given AJ another W or he could have been pinned by Wyatt here instead of Chamber.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brysynner said:

I think Rollins will be back in time. Really the thing is Taker/Reigns is somehow less interesting than AJ/Shane. At least with AJ/Shane we'll get some crazy ass Shane bump. Taker/Reigns would be Reigns trying to work around an immobile 53 year old man. So the easiest solution is to take the active wrestlers from the two matches and put them together. Plus Steph interfering in favor of Reigns could be an interesting subplot how she cares more about beating her brother than humiliating the guy who beat her husband at last year's Mania

If they want to throw both shows into total chaos, have Stephanie review the WWE Rule Book and realize there's precedent for the Royal Rumble runner-up to be given the WM main event spot should the winner refuse to participate.  Orton's on record as saying he doesn't want the match.  Have her strong-arm Reigns into it.  Have her at SDL to say Bryan and Shane overstepped their bounds by having the Battle Royal in the first place.  If it needs to be a four-way: not ideal, but let's roll with it.  Wyatt/Orton/Harper/Reigns in the WWE match at WM.

That would leave AJ as the odd man out somehow, which he blames on Shane and that kicks off their feud.

The idea of Roman/Stephanie working together would be the catalyst for a year's worth of stories if done right.

11 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

I know this is a longshot....but the though of Luke Harper being in the World Title match at Mania gets me tingly.

Same.

11 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Haha.  Harper has been a favorite of mine for a longggggggg time.  Haha..  I'm not getting my hopes up.  I just like that he's in this position right now.

I've liked Luke Harper since 2014. I was gutted about his knee injury last March and he was booked for the WWE Live event I was attending in April. First time he was going to be on the show I had tickets for. Luke's deserved the big push for a long time.

7 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Stoked to see an AJ/Harper matchup next week, and when I was looking at the possible winners of the battle royal, Harper was and AJ were the two guys I most wanted to see face Bray for the title. AJ because it meant he wouldn't be wasting a Mania appearance against Shane, Harper because he so deserved some time at the top of the card, and the story seemed tailor-made for it.

Agreed on Harper and AJ Styles.

4 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Miz should have carried the IC belt into WM.  Threatened to break the Honky Tonk Man's title reign record. Heck, let him break it. Retire Ziggler, all that jazz.  Meanwhile, find a baby face to build up to take the strap off Miz at SummerSlam 2017. Probably could have built Slater for it if they had followed through with the Rhyno breakup.

I endorse this post fully.

3 hours ago, Brysynner said:

If they don't do AJ/Shane. Could they run an inter-brand match between Roman Reigns and AJ. Taker didn't look too good at the Rumble and AJ/Reigns would be a good match. Put Steph in Roman's corner and Shane in AJ's corner. This way you get the McMahons involved without having Shane actually in a match.

I'd be down for AJ Styles vs. Roman Reigns, they have great chemistry and the Extreme Rules 2016 is Roman's best singles match. Other options: Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, Styles vs. Samoa Joe, Styles vs. Undertaker as AJ's the best wrestler in the company. Styles vs. Angle even.

Per Meltzer on last night's radio show

Naomi injured her knee on the split-legged moonsault that won her the title

They thought she would be ready in two weeks but it turns out that she basically has the same injury as Seth Rollins.

So she MAY be back for Mania

The Usos are straight fucking clowns. I love their personality off-stage and their segment in Talking Smack had me dying, but they are heels and they should not  come off as so....like-able. It ruins the intimidation vibe they have been going for on-screen.

Sad for Naomi because I always thought she has been overlooked even when TEAM Bad was a thing. She had some minor psychology issues(the whole using her ass as some reverse stinkface as a heel), but I always stupidly athletic compared to most women in wrestling in general. The only women that I can say who are more so are Io Shirai and Charlotte. Hopefully she gets the belt back. In which case, it is time to bring up the candy coated murder machine that is Asuka to kick Alexa's head off.

Nikki and Nattie had a good match. I was a little annoyed wth the roll-up or small pins Nikki did during the match because from a storyline standpoint, her motivation was not to just beat Nattie. She wanted to hurt her. But that is a minor nitpick. I guess they are really setting up the mixed tag team match at Mania.

I love Harper. If there is one person on the Wyatt's that held the gimmick of back country meth and moonshine dealing cultists with a touch of Nietzsche, it has been Harper. So am I glad that dude is getting a Wrestlemania title shot? Hell yeah. However, the matter of AJ's wrestlemania destination concerns me. I do not want to watch AJ vs Shane. I am still hoping for AJ vs Undertaker/Nakamura/Finn Balor. I have never liked Shane matches outside that one match with Kurt Angle and yeah, I like the character enough, but AJ deserves better. I can't wait to see AJ vs Harper though...

15 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Oh, I understand why they're doing it.  I just think it's stupid.  Nikki is not a bigger star than Cena, despite the Total Divas/Bellas success, unless I'm grossly misreading WWE's numbers.  

16 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

90% of Mania main eventers over the past 5 years have disappeared  the night after the show.

19 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

As good as Smackdown was, Talking Smack was even better. AJ Styles...Flat Earther.

AJs been in WWE 14 months now and you could already fill a 3 disc set of his matches, promos and Talking Smack appearances.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

I am still hoping for AJ vs Undertaker

Boo.  What did AJ ever do to you that you'd wish this stinker on him?

At this point, I almost hope they do run with AJ/Shane because I have a feeling the alternative will be to push him even further down the card and waste him.  AJ/Nakamura would be my pick at the moment (AJ-Balor would probably be a lot of fun too), but i'm not getting my hopes up.

• Like 1