DVDVR Message Board

SDL IS THE SHOW OF THE YEAR... AGAIN!!! (022117)

RIPPA

44 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Just saw the Usos promo and was it just me or were they do a Briscoe Brothers promo?

Sorta....

The big difference is (which I think people often miss) is that the Briscoe's have this ability to always put over their opponent while cutting their promos.

The Usos more sounded like they just showed up for open mic night.

And AA looked like huge dopes for just standing there and not doing anything about the Usos

• Like 2

Here I was expecting greatness but it was only a good promo. 

The Usos were full of fire and that is good, but anyone can run down their competition. 

Great promos can still build up your opponents and the significance of the match while still being blustery about how big and bad you are. 

Poor Naomi. :(

Luke vs. AJ looks like magic on paper.  We'll see what happens.

So the new thing in battle royals is for 6 people to lay around while two guys run through spots? That finish sucked so hard. They could have just restarted the match. I'm not looking forward to anything that's being built up for Mania on SDL. Sticking their biggest star in a silly mixed tag feud is borderline criminal.

Alexa should've never dropped the title in the first place. I saw Crews get his ankle destroyed by Ziggler at the last ppv, and now he's running around like nothing happened. I'm trying to get back into the product for Mania season, but they're not making it easy. Bray and Orton on top do nothing for me. I hope we get a Harper vs Corbin match sometime.

Personally, I think it's criminal the way they're wasting Cena on what will probably be a mixed tag at WrestleMania.  The dude's not fucking Hogan, you don't have to cover him the fact he can't move anymore.  Cena can still go and he's still one of their top draws.  Give him a fucking one-on-one - hell, do it against Miz.  It's not like they don't have history one-on-one at WrestleMania.  Cena has an unavenged loss, which led into him losing to Rock the following year.  Easy storyline.

Sucks for Naomi, but at least Bryan's explanation on Talking Smack made sense - any other time, it'd be fine, but things are different when WrestleMania's around the corner and they can't risk not having a champion going into WrestleMania, especially when the "women's revolution" had its big moment (reintroducing the women's championship) just last year.  At this rate I'd imagine it's Alexa vs. Becky at Mania.

I hate any finish that makes referees look stupid, and that finish made every referee look stupid.  On the bright side, Harper vs. Styles next week, and I'll never complain about THAT.  

SmackDown is truly the best show on TV, even counting any random indies.  You can see actual character growth on SmackDown.  Honestly, if they moved Strowman, Joe, Owens and Gallows/Anderson over, I'd have no reason whatsoever to watch Raw.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

I know this is a longshot....but the though of Luke Harper being in the World Title match at Mania gets me tingly.

Oh I am fairly positive it is a 3 way now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Personally, I think it's criminal the way they're wasting Cena on what will probably be a mixed tag at WrestleMania.  The dude's not fucking Hogan, you don't have to cover him the fact he can't move anymore.  Cena can still go and he's still one of their top draws.

It's a side effect of their blowing his title win over AJ at the Rumble. What could Cena do now that would be significant? You suggested a one-on-one with the Miz, but I don't see how that's an improvement.

Also, I love that internet fans are now complaining about Cena not being featured enough.:)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

It's a side effect of their blowing his title win over AJ at the Rumble. What could Cena do now that would be significant? You suggested a one-on-one with the Miz, but I don't see how that's an improvement.

Also, I love that internet fans are now complaining about Cena not being featured enough.:)

I never thought I'd see the day either, but Cena from the US title reign onward has been on fire and putting out tons of great work.  He's fit into the "Babe Ruth of wrestling" role that Vince always envisioned and pitched for Hogan and Bret back in the day.  

In a mixed tag, the focus will be more on Nikki and Maryse than on Cena and Miz, and from a promotional standpoint (Total Divas/Bellas notwithstanding) that seems like an utter waste of Cena's name value.  And hell, Miz's too.  

I still don't see why they can't just do AJ vs. Cena 2 out of 3 falls at Wrestlemania.  Let Maryse and Nikki have at it in whatever multi-woman match they're going to do anyway.  Miz can fit in with whatever multi-Intercontinental match they're doing at Mania. 

My secret wish is that they do a 15 woman Royal Rumble at Mania for both brands, winner gets title shot that night.  Let the champs in it and if they win they can challenge for the other belt if they want. Perfect for one of the four hours of pre-show they've got going.

Randy Orton can only wrestle in triple threat matches for the World title at WM.

As for the Usos promo, man, that was awesome, but it totally made American Alpha look like dweeby, Kurt Angle type heels. I actually wouldn't mind if American Alpha turned heel with Usos turning face, but keeping their current gimmick, which is just the Usos being themselves.

How about that, dudes getting over because they were themselves.

Oh, and for some reason, I missed the Usos spiking the mics onto the concrete the first time I watched that. It made me miss Vince on commentary bitching about how that's a $10,000 microphone.

Regarding Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse. While it's not a marquee matchup it allows Cena to wrestle a match with his longtime girlfriend in what might be her last match against a top heel in the company and his wife (who also, to my knowledge, have never teamed up). This match could be simply explained as Cena wanting to work with Nikki on the biggest stage. It's a good time filler match and will have tremendous heat due to everyone involved which is all you can ask for in a mid-card match.

46 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

It's a good time filler match and will have tremendous heat due to everyone involved which is all you can ask for in a mid-card match.

I agree with all of that, but we're still talking about the best big match worker in the company and the most over guy in the company in a mid card match at the biggest show of the year. Miz was great in 2016, but it seems like he's lost a lot of momentum to me. The mixed tag thing just fells like it's beneath Cena. This would be the perfect time to do Cena/Stroman if they were on the same brand. I really wouldn't mind Cena issuing a special challenge for Mania from anyone in the world and have Nak answer it.

Again I think it really comes down to Nikki's done or close to done and John wants to have a match with his girlfriend. Also there's 6 more episodes of Smackdown until WrestleMania. It's very likely everyone involved will make the match feel bigger by the time the bell actually rings.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Here I was expecting greatness but it was only a good promo. 

The Usos were full of fire and that is good, but anyone can run down their competition. 

Great promos can still build up your opponents and the significance of the match while still being blustery about how big and bad you are. 

A couple of things:

1. People had decided that the Usos were slack-jawed coconut heads who could barely string together three words between them, let alone a full promo. 

2. When two people finish each other's sentences, it usually sounds corny.  The Usos did it with swagger and great timing to boot.

3. They didn't call out American Alpha so much as put them on notice.  AA is walking around in their perfect worlds, thinking all is well.  But as they try to sleep at night, they find themselves shaken and afraid.  Why? Are they paranoid? No, someone is actually out to get them.  Think If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich? on a smaller scale.

4. We rarely see promos that intense in WWE outside of Cena or the Miz. It was a treat.

5. There's no match yet.  The promo was the opening salvo. There will be more verbal exchanges. Give it time.

And finally: The problem isn't with the Usos.  It's American Alpha.  They basically only stood there, doing little in response to having Molotov cocktails thrown at them. They needed to do something to meet that energy.  As such, it felt like they were being run down more than they actually were. That's not all their fault, they haven't been properly built since being drafted to the main roster. But it speaks to the problem WWE has with tag teams on their main shows.  They don't enough with them and when they finally try, the division is to weak to support such efforts.

Was it the best promo in the history of promos? Of course not.  But let's not undersell it, either.

• Like 4

Stoked to see an AJ/Harper matchup next week, and when I was looking at the possible winners of the battle royal, Harper was and AJ were the two guys I most wanted to see face Bray for the title. AJ because it meant he wouldn't be wasting a Mania appearance against Shane, Harper because he so deserved some time at the top of the card, and the story seemed tailor-made for it.

• Like 1