DVDVR Message Board

SDL IS THE SHOW OF THE YEAR... AGAIN!!! (022117)

RIPPA

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

We'll never know since somehow not a single referee out of four or a single camera out of 12 were focused on the corner of the ring where the entire match was decided. Sad.

They actually did have a cameraman on that side filming it. If you watch again, they show it from behind the turnbuckle (presumably in case it doesn't come off) and then they immediately cut to a camera showing them both on the ground. Had to have been fucked up, otherwise they would've shown that replay over and over in slow mo.

Usos promo was amazing; dunno how anyone had trouble understanding them.

I loved Nikki-Nattie.  That Alabama Slam on the table was one of the harshest/dumbest high spots in a while;  I dug it in a "Shibata kicking dudes in the face" kind of way where I enjoyed it today but will feel bad about it in a few years if Nattie has massive neck surgery or CTE.  It was a particularly stiff little brawl for a TV match.  Biggest complaint (That's also not a complaint) is that Nikki's shorts were way too tiny so she had to keep pulling them up in the midst of a heated fight; alternately, Nikki's tights were really tiny which has its good points, too.  Though somehow they are not the smallest, tightest tights I've seen this week, because I saw a Jesse Godderz match this past week.

Apollo Crews showed some flashes of potential tonight.  I think the best use of him would be for a heel (Miz? Dolph) take him under their wing as a bodyguard.  He'd be such a hateable heel interfering in Miz matches and standing behind him with a big grin on his face.  Then as he sorta learns from them, eventually have him turn on Miz/Dolph and he should be more over than he is right now.

I feel bad for Naomi but I think she's back by WM because the announcers kept going out of their way to say she's "probably" and "likely" out of Wrestlemania now.  Personally, I think she's a little dangerous and probably needs to tone down her style a bit for her own sake, and that of her opponents.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, caley said:

I loved Nikki-Nattie.  That Alabama Slam on the table was one of the harshest/dumbest high spots in a while;  I dug it in a "Shibata kicking dudes in the face" kind of way where I enjoyed it today but will feel bad about it in a few years if Nattie has massive neck surgery or CTE. 

Still not as bad as when she did it to Charlotte on, I want to say the apron during her rematch for the belt.

Hopefully Naomi can come back for a match with Alexa at WM 34 and she can recapture it then. Personally, I don't know why they had to rush to put it back on anyone last night. I'm glad Alexa won it back. But they could have held it off a week maybe.

I can't stand The Uso's but I have to give it to them, they sure did give the promo of their lives. Maybe a damn good brawl is what American Alpha really needs to finally catch that fire because they still are just there/treading water till The Revival come up.

The Nikki/Natalya match was fun, but a really dumb way to set up this rumored Nikki/Cena vs. Miz/Maryse match at Wrestlemania. But if this gets Maryse back into Wrestling and her potentially doing a full comeback so she's in the women's division I'm all for it.

The battle royal was so good. I was amazed they stretched out a ten man one for over a half hour. I always knew they would have something with Harper if they would just let the guy off the chains and between the match with Orton at EC, this and next week there is no excuse for them not to have a rocket on him.

6 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

That was the best promo cocaine could buy in 2017.  And they were clear from my usually poor hearing. (passes Binky some Q-tips)

Actually, I was thinking instead of the 80's coke fueled promo, that was it's updated 2017 Monster Energy drink fueled promo.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Dean Ambrose hasn't defended the IC Title on TV since the Jan 24 Lumberjack match.

But apparently Naomi has to drop her title...

Meltzer's recapper also pointed out that Becky went more than 30 days without defending the title last year while she was ill - and that was with Alexa waiting on a title shot soon as Becky got well.

Also - and God knows I'm probably giving this more thought than the company - but why is vicious chair-swinging heel Dolph Ziggler wearing the US flag on his tights?  I mean, is it really that hard to remember how not to do babyface things?  To make it worse, he's feuding with a pair of minority wrestlers, so I'm not sure if he's doing some sort of subtle Oliver John Border Patrol gimmick, if he secretly supports Trump in real life, if he's about to jump to AAA and join Team Trump (AAA's heel stable du jour).  He was getting cheers in the PPV handicap match a couple weeks ago.  What the hell?

Blah show.  I'm not into the Wyatt Family at all and some of the other stuff just annoyed me.  If I had a surgically repaired neck that was still giving me trouble and was two months from semi-retirement, I wouldn't be agreeing to some of those bumps Nikki is taking.

I look at the naomi stuff as a positive. you have a lot of people discussing a performer who spent almost all of her career coming out to no reaction. the segment made it feel like it was a big deal. the injury and her eventual return will be far more interesting than what they would've done with her anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Dean Ambrose hasn't defended the IC Title on TV since the Jan 24 Lumberjack match.

This is 100% accurate. And we can include Chris Jericho still holding the US title on RAW while recovering from injury and having only defended it once since winning it. 

The problem isn't Naomi dropping the belt, because there's a great story to be told if she can make it back in time for WM.  The problem, as we all know,  is WWE's complete lack of consistency for even the most basic of rules. Becky's situation could easily be justified if they said she asked for an exemption to the 30-day rule and a commissioner's panel ruled in her favor after reviewing her medical files and determining her illness was short-term.  There's no excuse for Ambrose's deal, though.

But something to ponder: if you had told me two babyface champions were asked to give back their titles this week and BAYLEY would somehow look like a tool in her situation, I would have figured you for crazy or drunk.  But here we are.

11 hours ago, Peck said:

Great segment with Naomi and DB. She'll be even more over when she returns. Perhaps that's why they decided not to have Bayley relinquish the title last night... because they knew this would be happening tonight?

Yeah, that whole segment was good. Sucks that Naomi has to relinquish the belt but I agree that the crowd will be super fired up when she comes back. And Alexa remains an awesome witch lol

I enjoyed Nikki/Nattie but also caught that "good job" lol 

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Lesnar defended the world title what, once ever 3 months?

Then you had Miz never defending the IC belt last  year when he was off doing a movie.

I can't tell if this is a work so Naomi can get her Wrestlemania moment, an actual serious injury that they're waiting for the prognosis on, or typical WWE lack of continuity in booking.  Probably a combination.

If you look back at the finish at EC, Naomi's knee caught Alexa's arm/elbow because Bliss didn't turn onto her back quickly enough.  So it seems logical that Naomi honestly tweaked her knee, and WWE is using what is probably a minor injury to generate a feel-good WM story.

Of course, this is all guessing  since Naomi was on TV in some capacity for the last two weeks, opposed to Seth Rollins who was taken off immediately (which itself is now being worked, but seems to be more serious with Rollins' knee already an issue for him).

Meltzer said that it is a legit knee injury but it is considered "minor" by wrestling standards

I think the story is that wanted the title back on Alexa as soon as possible and since they couldn't have the actual match - they made Naomi give it up