DVDVR Message Board

Fastlane III

Dolfan in NYC

They can make up for making Owens looking like an Idiot last night by giving him the US Title at Mania and have him still be the focus of Raw and main Event RAW PPV's all spring/summer until Reigns takes the Universal Championship off of Lesnar at SumerFest.

I wanted to add something about Goldberg's look and him looking the part of the champion.  It's very impressive that he's gotten himself in this kind of shape but if I'm at the gym and I see a dude like Goldberg and I see a guy looking like Samoa Joe in the other corner,  I'm putting my money on Samoa Joe to kick the old guy's ass.  A champion to me is a guy who looks like he can win a fight. I do not think Goldberg looks the part anymore.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wanted to add something about Goldberg's look and him looking the part of the champion.  It's very impressive that he's gotten himself in this kind of shape but if I'm at the gym and I see a dude like Goldberg and I see a guy looking like Samoa Joe in the other corner,  I'm putting my money on Samoa Joe to kick the old guy's ass.  A champion to me is a guy who looks like he can win a fight. I do not think Goldberg looks the part anymore.

It doesn't matter if he has "the Look"

Guys from the Attitude and Ruthless Aggression Era are Stars.

Reality Era guys are not.

3 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Reality Era guys are not.

I agree with that and it's frustrating because it's WWE's own fault. Sure, Roman Reigns has the bigger match on the Mania card so I see WHY they are protecting him but that doesn't get to the bigger point. I think as do others that Braun Stroman is probably the better option for the push that Roman is receiving some three years after they first failed.. 

• Like 1

The more annoying thing with the Reigns-Braun stuff is why did it have to happen in the first place if this is your big payoff. It wasn't the draw of the ppv. Reigns is already heavily pushed and a main event player. Beating Braun doesn't increase his stature. He is what he is. All last night did was damage Braun.

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

El Dandy

I, of course, doubt that.

And add that at least Goldberg vs. Owens wasn't on RAW. If it were, due to the amazingly distracting appearance by Jericho, the match would've ended with an inescapable rollup.

If Braun can't stand one loss, there's not much to damage in the first place. At least Scott Hall didn't come out and taser him after interference from Disco Inferno.

Umaga's streak was busted by a fluke roll-up from Cena. And I'd argue he was pushed as a bigger monster than Braun. It didn't make him any less of a monster afterward until they decided to stop pushing him.

Have Braun toss out everybody at the Andre battle royal and no one will really care about this loss.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A flash pin would have been a little better. I didn't mind that result for Sasha/Nia.  If Braun had taken 90% of the match and lost on a quick roll up and then leveled Reigns afterwards it would have come off better.

The thing about Nia is that we've seen her lose a bunch of times already. She didn't have much of an aura anyway. She's the least intimidating monster I've seen in a long time.

I agree that Braun should've popped back up quickly though instead of sitting on the outside like a wounded duck. Like how Vader popped back up right after Ron Simmons pinned him for the WCW title. Or just getting back to his feet even if dazed. It's not like Roman speared him through a ringpost or anything.

52 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If Braun had taken 90% of the match and lost on a quick roll up and then leveled Reigns afterwards it would have come off better.

Look.  I despised the match result, but what they're going for (and fuck you for making me defend it :) ): 

1) Roman Reigns HAS to look strong.  He's, by all accounts, facing - and possibly defeating - The Undertaker next.  If he wins by a fluke, he's going to seem like no threat to Taker. 

2) They appear to intend to keep Braun strong.  So, he absorbs repeated finishers from a top guy and still kicks out. That's terrifying.  And he ultimately beats himself by going for Air Braun when pounding Roman to death was working.  Showing he's tough as hell, but still is making rookie mistakes.  Braun *should* be fine. Hell, he may be a champ sooner than any of us expect.

Normally, I absolutely would agree he should have pounded Roman into pulp after the loss. But, for now this feud appears to be over as Roman moves up to Taker and Braun probably wins the Andre Battle Royale. 

• Like 1

So, say Reigns turns heel, and beats the shit out of Taker at Mania to close the show. 

Imagine the pop someone will get on RAW the next night if someone comes out and answers an open challenge and takes him down? A face turn for Strowman, Nakamura, Lesnar, whoever. Prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt if this is going somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The thing about Nia is that we've seen her lose a bunch of times already. She didn't have much of an aura anyway. She's the least intimidating monster I've seen in a long time.

It would help if Nia looked interested in what she was doing. She looks like she'd rather be anywhere else other than in the ring.

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

If Braun can't stand one loss, there's not much to damage in the first place. At least Scott Hall didn't come out and taser him after interference from Disco Inferno.

Umaga's streak was busted by a fluke roll-up from Cena. And I'd argue he was pushed as a bigger monster than Braun. It didn't make him any less of a monster afterward until they decided to stop pushing him.

Well let me slow your roll here. 

1. Just because you can survive something, doesn't mean you should. A guy with Braun's look and gifts will be fine. But the point is he should be more than fine. He should be the man getting Reigns push. 

2. The Umaga roll up was done to protect Umaga and set up a rematch with a more extreme finish. They did end up damaging Umaga by having him lose to guys not as over or gifted. 

WWE has this habit of not understanding that monsters can be stars. Not just fodder for whoever they are hot for at the moment. Notable exceptions are Undertaker and Kane. 

20 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

1) Roman Reigns HAS to look strong.  He's, by all accounts, facing - and possibly defeating - The Undertaker next.  If he wins by a fluke, he's going to seem like no threat to Taker. 

Well lets go to this point then. 

Why does Reigns have to face Undertaker when few of their paying customers want it. 

Large masked man in shadows: "Braun...psst..."

Braun: "Whoa who are you?"

Lmmis: "it matters not. To you I am a shade. A lost soul. To some a memory. A caution. I died long ago."

Braun: "Ummmmm. Like for real or you're in TNA"

Lmmis: "TNA? Sir, please. Some respect. Today I wrestle in Publix parking lots for food."

Braun: "Respect. What advice do you have for me, oh vaunted and doomed testament of tragedy?"

Lmmis: "Braun. No matter what...no matter when..."

Braun: "Yes, yes spirit, do speak thee!"

Lmmis: "Never let them make you dance."

Braun: "Aghast. The spirit is gone. But his words hang heavy. My blood fails. My hands tremble. I must anon."

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Victator said:

Well lets go to this point then. 

Why does Reigns have to face Undertaker when few of their paying customers want it. 

Because Cena wanted a match with his significant other as his partner, and Michelle McCool's retired so Taker can't be his opponent?

52 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Really? Roman Reigns, whose list of casualties includes Triple H, AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose, needed a clean pin over Braun Strowman before anyone would buy him as a threat to Undertaker?

How could anyone possibly believe that.

• Like 1

I understand what @Dolfan in NYC is saying, if the plan is for Undertaker then you probably shouldn't be jobbing Reigns the month before UNLESS Undertaker had cost him the match somehow then maybe.  But the bigger issue is that Reigns is damaged and probably will never be as over as they want him to be.  The match with Braun probably shouldn't have even taken place and Braun should be getting the match with Taker instead. But the latter is more my own opinion, the parts about Reigns being damaged beyond repair are noticeable.

I'm was pretty sure the moment Braun debuted in the Wyatt/Reigns feud, he was supposed to be built up as a monster for Roman to eventually take down. They just took their sweet time with it, so I'm not that disappointed or surprised at the result. Last night was Braun fulfilling his pre-determined destiny.

That Braun ended up being better than we initially thought is just a nice bonus in WWE's mind, I'm sure.