DVDVR Message Board

La Fiera, El Faraón y El Egipico vs. MS-1, Satanico y Pirata Morgan (3/29/85)

Phil Schneider

• 3 weeks later...

Man what a great one-two punch on this disk, a classic title match followed by a wild trios brawl.  And holy shit is this match awesome.  Chaotic brawling all around.  The cherry of his beautifully violent cake is the Egipico/Morgan stuff.  They really start going at it in the second fall and Egipico is bent on murdering Morgan from then on, whipping him THROUGH the wooden paneling on the ring and then picking up one of the boards of wood and beating him with it.  Third fall really feels like a gang war with everyone just beating the shit out of everyone else but especially Egipico taking it to Morgan (in the middle of the chaos the announcer exlaims what sounds like "Una lucha apocolyptica!").  Too many cool little tid bits of brawling in this to mention.  Finish is just great with a final big Egipico/Morgan exchange and some cool double team spots ending in stereo dives (where Fiera just about kills himself) with the other four.  This goes high on my ballot.  I want to buy a ticket for an Egipico/Morgan hair match now.

• 2 weeks later...

This was hurt a bit by me not being able to distinguish between the tecnico team members, but it was still awesome. Infernales Mark II rule. Fiera (I guess) attempts suicide in Hector Garza fashion off the top rope. The ending sequence almost falls apart but they save it at the last moment. "Una lucha apocalyptico" indeed, this was wild. 

We've already seen a couple of brawling tags and trios so far but none of them have been as violent or as epic as this one. In this match it's the stiff striking instead of the gore that really makes it so harrowing. I think part of that is due to Los Infernales upgrading when they added Pirata Morgan. Morgan adds a lot as he feels like a serious ass kicker but is also a wild bumper when he has to be. This lineup of Los Infernales turns double and triple teams into thuggish onslaughts. They don't do fancy triple teams, they just all drop b's on an opponent. It can be as simple and brutal as Satanico muscling an opponent around in a clinch while MS-1 throws nasty punches to their kidneys. La Fiera and Faraón already made great opponents for Los Infernales in their last scrap but they both manage to top those performances here. Faraón is a tremendous brawler and Fiera outdoes the suicidal missed tope from that match when he manages to fly off the top rope and land headfirst outside the ring. Egipcio is pushed into the foreground in this match as he spends most of it brawling with Pirata Morgan and they both make you want to see them in an apuestas match. By the end I was marking out for Egipcio's punch combos during his comeback despite not really having strong feelings about him going in. Good finish too with Egipcio and Pirata Morgan have their final showdown in the ring after everyone else has been taken out by dives on the outside.

• 5 weeks later...

This has to be rudo vs rudo right?

Wait Wiki says: "In March 1985 Los Infernales participated in a tournamtn(sic) to determine the first ever Mexican National Trios Champions; Los Infernales defeated the two teams in the preliminary rounds to qualify for the finals." Further searching shows that was midway through the month, so while this isn't that tournament, it still sort of colors what was going on. 

The good news is that I can recognize Faraon on sight now and he has a swank jacket again. The bad news is that everyone seems to be wearing red. Ok. Morgan's got the long tights and the eyepatch. I assume Satanico has the singlet. We're getting there. Why the hell can't MS-1 still be blonde? Damn you Sangre Chicana. Oh wait, he's got long tights too. This is like a game of Guess Who. Long Tights and No Eyepatch = MS-1! Egipico has the mustache? I think we're in business.

Fun brawling to start and then Infernales work great really well as a team on Egipico(?). No, wait! It's Faraon and his regal bearings. Fiera has this Tom Zenk thing going for him with the hair and futile attempts to come in that just get his partner beat up more. Faraon's selling is awesomely groggy. He looks like he ate the wrong mushrooms. Satanico using Faraon as a human shield in a hostage situation against Fiera is beautiful. I will say that early around there's a bit too much meandering for me. Egipico comes in and kind of stands around behind Satanico while waiting for him to turn around so they can do whatever they were going to do or MS-1 and Morgan just taking a while to pick up their respectively opponents to toss them into each other, or for MS-1 to get back from knocking someone off the apron so they can double suplex Fiera in from outside, when Satanico is just sort of there watching. That sort of thing. It's not as organic as some of the earlier stuff we've seen, brawls or otherwise. On the other hand, the stuff that does hit right, like the crazy flying double elbows by MS-1 and Morgan leading to the first pin of the first fall really works. The sum result is that the end of the first fall just sort of goes on, when it would have been a lot better if it had just ended after the elbows. I will say that the Infernales kick the hell out of someone on the ground better than anyone.  

The comeback at the beginning of the second fall is well done: Faraon starts kicking back and right when he's about to get smashed, Fiera does a leg kick to slow down Satanico. Fiera's spin kick is very Nikolai Volkoffesque. I just really like how Faraon carries himself. He has a great presence, kind of like I wish Del Rio could manage in the ring. In the second fall, he's just keeping guys out so that Fiera can take care of MS-1. It's not super compelling stuff from Fiera though. The Egipico/Morgan thrashing on the outside with the wood panels around the ring is way better. The revenge beating on Satanico isn't quite as good as the one at the end of the first fall.

I'm not even sure if the third fall's started yet or what. Satanico and Faroan are fighting from a seated position and Fiera's just stalking around. 

After everything sort of meanders about for a while, we reset with Morgan and Egipico beating the hell out of each other, which is nice. It all breaks down from there. Fiera losing the headlock when trying to ram heads together is a kind of hilarious image. He also dies horribly on the dive onto Satanico. This leads to more Morgan vs Egipico, which is fitting since that's been the best part of the match, and the powerbomb finish.

I feel like this is another match that suffers from not being as good as something better earlier on the set, in this case the Infernales vs Cota/Chicana/Fiera match from 83. It didn't have nearly the violence or energy or brutality of that match. I thought Fiera looked actively bad in this. Faraon's one of the my favorite guys on the set so far though and the Egipico vs Morgan stuff here was actively good. 

This started out just there for me. It got better and better as the match went on. The beating down on Fauron in the first fall was becoming boring a little bit but the action picked up in the second. I loved Fauron kicking at Satanico when he had his arms locked. Egipcio-Morgan was tremendous. I loved the visual of Morgan flying across the floor just barely on screen. It was a total "what the fuck" moment. The best part of this was Egipcio throwing Morgan THROUGH the Corona apron and then beating him with pieces of it. La Fiera was just there in this and didn't seem to add anything at all which is disappointing. He just wandered around and didn't do much at all. The punching exchanges, postings, and brawling in the third fall was great. Morgan's posting was particularly brutal. That back and forth punching exchange in the center of the ring between Egipcio-Morgan was off the charts. The closing minutes were fun and Fiera fucks up horribly on a dive and nearly spikes himself on his head. Fauron's dive was awesome as hell and he collided big time with MS-I. The finish was good too. I liked this a good bit. It was hurt by a middling start but the last five to eight minutes were tremendous. I don't know where this would rank right now. I will probably give this just short of four stars. It could have been better in my opinion. 

• 4 months later...

Matt D picked up on what really bugged me about the first fall.  It was the designated rudos-beat-down-the-other-team fall, and Fiera, Faraon, and Egipico looked really listless and sluggish on their offense throughout, often seeming to stand around or quickly slide out of the ring after getting a half-hearted blow from one of the Infernales, whose strikes did not seem very brutal in the first fall.  I kind of expected a quick DQ victory for the other side when the kick-fest commenced, but that was not the case.  The second fall was better, and the action between Morgan and Egipico outside the ring with the wooden Corona sign was sweet.  The posting was epic also, but no blood?  Fiera's catastrophic dive begged for a rewind.  I really liked Faraon's dive, where he didn't sell being hurt too badly.  I don't think the diver and the divee need to be equally injured on these dives.  Faraon's dive seemed to hit the target, and he shook it off and was ready to get right back up.  The powerbomb ending was good, but I didn't think that team would win.  The first fall's "action" was hard to overcome, so this ends up mid-range for me.

• 4 months later...

Initially this took me a little bit to get into due to the Infernales offense and complete domination, but then I realized their game plan wasn't so much aabout crazy choatic brawling as it was about them using and isolating the tecnicos and taking full advantage. Mixing in this strategy was some nasty strikes. Things elevate in the second fall and it is the Fiera side of things that elevate the match. I wasn't impressed with Egipico in his earlier appearance but he was super here and I marked out when he slammed Morgon into the boards and they broke. The third caida with the crazy dives and escalation to Morgan vs. Egipico was well done and the powerbomb was the perfect finisher to the match. My favorite trios so far. (****1/4)

• 3 months later...

I had somewhat low expectations for this based on the first few minutes but it really started to pick up once guys started hitting each other with boards and jumping off the top rope to land on their face outside the ring. I liked this but I'm not sure what will stand out to me when it comes time to rank this other than Fiera somehow escaping death on that dive.

• 2 months later...

Definitely a high end match. Not much to add to what others have said. This was a great brawl with two rudo teams trying to murder each other. I enjoyed them pairing off into one-on-one brawling for the most part as it added to the chaotic feeling where you didn't know what to watch. The breaking of the ring board was pretty neat. Climaxed at the end with the great dives (poor Fiera...) and clean win. I will always give extra points for clean wins! Will surely end up a top 20 for me.