DVDVR Message Board

THE (maybe) FIELD OF 2017 (definitely subject to change)

RIPPA

These are the 64 selections I have right now. I also have a list about 20 names deep that are waiting for me to change my mind and slip someone in (or when it is pointed out that I forgot a major name). I would say about 58 of these are firm. You will find out the official field on Friday but you can use this to start your watching.

Alpha by first name/group name. Spelling mistakes are obviously my own

Spoiler

AJ Styles
Asuka
Barbaro Cavernario
Bayley
Black Terry
Bobby Lashley
Cesaro/Sheamus
Charlotte
Chris Hero
Chris Jericho
DIY (Gargano/Ciampa)
Dragon Lee
Fred Yehi
Gran Metalik (Mascara Dorada)
Hardys (Matt & Jeff)
Hideki Suzuki
Hiromu Takahashi (Kamaitachi)
Hirooki Goto
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Io Shirai
Jack Gallagher
Joe Coffey
John Cena
Johnny Mundo
Kairi Hojo
Katsuyori Shibata
Kazuchika Okada
Keith Lee
Kenny Omega
Kevin Owens
Kota Ibushi
Kyle O'Reilly
L.A. Park
Marty Scurll
Matt Riddle
Meiko Satomura
Michael Elgin
Mike Bailey
Miz
Negro Casas
Penta Zero M
Pete Dunne
Revival
Ricochet
Roman Reigns
Rush
Sami Callihan
Sami Zayn
Shingo Takagi
Shinsuke Nakamura
Tetsuya Naito
Timothy Thatcher
Tomohiro Ishii
Trent Seven
Trevor Lee
Tyler Bate
Ultimo Guerrero
Volador Jr
Will Ospreay
Wyatts (Bray, Orton, Harper)
Zach(k) Gibson
Zack Sabre Jr

Last two spots I have listed as RESERVED FOR WWE CHOADE (ie: the top 2 in the poll)

Low # of matches or having almost no available matches easily available to watch are reasons I might eventually bounce someone. So there are a few people ear-marked for that. And if you work for the WWE, you are more likely to lose your spot than others. (Since - at least to me - the purpose of all this is for you to watch new wrestlers)

I clearly and putting way more energy into this than I ever really should. And I am just setting myself up for disappointment... again

1 minute ago, zev said:

@RIPPA You've got Becky Lynch listed in the 12 spots already filled as per Weeding Through The WWE Slog thread, but I don't see her in your first post in this thread.

Yup - Becky has been moved to the bubble. (Which if you look through the thread I was already leaning towards)

She will be first choice over pretty much everyone else but as I was filling in the spots - some cuts needed to be made and I wanted a wider variety than what amounted to the 20th WWE affiliated person (when you add in NXT and 205Live)

KUSHIDA is probably the only real omission I see, but I get that there's only so many eligible slots to keep everything from being NJPW/WWE/NXT.

That said, G1 finalist be damned, I think there's a strong argument for bouncing Goto for KUSHIDA if it comes down to NJPW picks.

• Like 1

KUSHIDA is in my - albeit it giant - bubble list of folks

I am leaning towards maybe doing 4 play-ins (so at least it mirrors the NCAA tournament but doesn't add extra to work for me)

But I won't 100% decide on that until I am physically creating the bracket

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Yup - Becky has been moved to the bubble. (Which if you look through the thread I was already leaning towards)

She will be first choice over pretty much everyone else but as I was filling in the spots - some cuts needed to be made and I wanted a wider variety than what amounted to the 20th WWE affiliated person (when you add in NXT and 205Live)

That makes some sense, but given the audience shrink for WWE (and the global expansion), plus the fact that TNA, Lucha Underground, Ring of Honor, and New Japan all have relatively accessible TV...why does just WWE have the limit for it? It seems like if WWE has 20 people, that's too much- but if New Japan has 11 more (not even counting ROH wrestlers), they should also have a similar bubble limit as well (and that's before the WWE UK tournament people or Kota Ibushi/Zack Sabre Jr., who'd have been affiliated with both New Japan and WWE in the time period.)

When it gets that far, it might work more to the spirit of finding new top names to cut it down to 16 (or 17 with  max for WWE and New Japan/ROH and just give both of them their own regionals outright.

Puma was my last luchadore out

I am doing a balance with lucha where I almost have to treat it like voting for OL in the Pro Bowl.

Since most are lazy - they are going by rep so I leaned towards guys with great years who we have trained to like in years past

That being said - I have been going back and forth for (and probably will for the next two days) over including Black Terry.

As deserving as he might be - I think 99% aren't gonna buy his matches so it makes it tough to promote someone with nothing to show.

We shall see...

I know I ain't really shit around here but would also push really, really hard for Hechicero if he's anywhere near your bubble. I'd vote for him over almost anyone, tbh, and if people are gonna give Negro Casas a fair shot they're gonna have to watch that beautiful, beautiful match anyways.

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

Davey isn't in the tournament. They can go have their own match in TJ though.

If there's any extras in the tournament, this would be the fun one. See who'd win- the non-wrestling people from Final Deletion or the most polarizing suspects.

It's weird- but hey, King Maxel worked at least one match, that's probably enough to take out Dolph Ziggler in a March Madness battle.

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Good field.  Some workers in there that have put in some decent matches that I have enjoyed, but I wouldn't hate myself for voting against them and at least I can further educate myself on lesser known matches they've worked..

That will change the closer we get to the Finals.  The Hardy Boys / Miz final will probably turn me into an alcoholic. 

I can't wait to see what trauma inducing bullshit forces me to vote against AJ Styles or Kairi Hojo's elbow drop.

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

If I had the energy - I would rig the entire bracket just to give you nightmares.

And then I would vote for Will Osprey over Sasha Banks out of pure spite and you would hate life and a perfectly good friendship would burn in flames of rage.

WHY JT?  WHY ARE YOU SO OLD AND DUMB?

12 hours ago, Concrete said:

An unjust world has Trent Seven in and Hechicero out. 

Trent has had an amazing 12 months though. He's gone from a relatively minor figure in BritWres to having an absolute breakout year - getting US bookings and becoming CHIKARA tag champ, starting to work for Progress and winning their tag titles, winning the ICW world title, then topping it off by getting under WWE contract and having a belting match on last weeks NXT. 

• Like 1

Kind of feel like Joey Janela should at least make a play in. He's managed to make himself a top guy on the indies through viral suicide spots and Bad Boy Schtick and he's had some really good matches along the way.

Generally I think the field lacks the sort of outside the box pick that people get indignant over when they lose handily in the first round. My view is that these type of guys are critical to the process. Here id argue for PWX ace/SCI standout Anthony Henry, or Nova Pro ace and CWF standout Arik Royal. Both are likely to be top 30ish guys to people who followed them closely and will have strong advocates