DVDVR Message Board

[MM17] WEEDING THROUGH THE WWE SLOG

RIPPA

PICK 3 WWE FOLKS TO MAKE MARCH MADNESS 2017  

67 members have voted

1. 1. PICK UP TO 3 PEOPLE

This poll is closed to new votes

Two people with a legit shot of winning the whole thing had their worst matches of the time period against Ambrose

AJ Styles and Chris Jericho

And that isn't bringing up the Brock Lesnar match

AJ Styles also had two fantastic matches against Ambrose in the recent past. The TLC match and Smackdown matches were pretty universally praised and the TLC match is up there for me in WWE MOTYCs.

Which is the stinky one?

I realize that Sasha essentially had a one feud year against Charlotte, but it was a hell of a feud that resulted in some high quality, historic matches. She deserves a place in the tournament just as much as Becky and Bayley. (Andsheshouldhavewonlastyear)

1. Styles worst matches were not with Ambrose, they were with Ziggler. And, also, the I significantly preferred Styles/Ambrose to Styles/Cena, though I am the obvious outlier there. Furthermore, the timetable is convenient here, cause the Styles/Jericho matches just outside of the time table were significantly worse then Styles/Ambrose. And, really, all Styles wrestled this year was Reigns, Cena, Ziggler for a month, Ambrose, and back to Cena. So it's  not that big of a statement.

2. Chris Jericho had no real great matches in the time table, and is going to be getting pushed more for out of ring stuff then in ring stuff. He's like a slightly worse version of Miz in the last 12 months. I don't see him having any real chance of winning, but that's because the odds of anyone outside of Styles winning from the WWE group is just about 0.

• Like 1

Joe did have a let down but a let down for Joe is better than most everybody else's good year. A few of the Nakamura matches were good, the Finn series was the best Finn has looked, and the Zayn lengthy match was an enjoyable experiment in watching a super long heat that didn't get all that boring. It played to Zayn's strength, selling, and Joe's great offense. The KO match(es?) sucked, yeah, but he was really good after the heel turn. Top notch character work. 

12 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

2. Chris Jericho had no real great matches in the time table, and is going to be getting pushed more for out of ring stuff then in ring stuff. He's like a slightly worse version of Miz in the last 12 months. I don't see him having any real chance of winning, but that's because the odds of anyone outside of Styles winning from the WWE group is just about 0.

Just talking singles matches - vs. Sami Zayn at Clash of the Champions and the Mania match with AJ (which has grown on me since Mania happened because I stopped looking at in the totality of the show and how they were handling AJ)

He is a worse version of Miz because of how great Miz year was

But again - people have been predicting Matt Hardy/Hardys to be lock Final 4 and they had zero traditionally good matches in the time period. So discounting the outside the ring stuff (at least for now) would be folly

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I voted for American Alpha mainly due to everything pre-July they did. If that doesn't count... uh, I really liked the four corners elimination match where they won over the Wyatts? I probably shouldn't have even bothered with them, on second thought, I would have went with Alexa Bliss (IMO, the women's MVP on Smackdown).

Casey is basically quoting my logic as for why American Alpha ended up where they did

19 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I realize that Sasha essentially had a one feud year against Charlotte, but it was a hell of a feud that resulted in some high quality, historic matches. She deserves a place in the tournament just as much as Becky and Bayley. (Andsheshouldhavewonlastyear)

Besides Bayley's own matches with Charlotte - she had the two matches with Asuka, Nia Jax's best match of the time period and her NXT matches. Oh and was saddled with working with Eva Marie, Carmella (as a tag partner), Dana Brooke (bless her heart) and the other folks they fed her because that was how they were developing the women at the time.

Sasha ONLY has the Charlotte matches. Unless you are going to try and tell me the Team BAD breakup matches or the weird Superstars feud with Summer Rae were good.

I could listen to arguments about Sasha vs. Becky for a spot but to say she deserves it as much as Bayley is silly

59 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Besides Bayley's own matches with Charlotte - she had the two matches with Asuka, Nia Jax's best match of the time period and her NXT matches. Oh and was saddled with working with Eva Marie, Carmella (as a tag partner), Dana Brooke (bless her heart) and the other folks they fed her because that was how they were developing the women at the time.

Sasha ONLY has the Charlotte matches. Unless you are going to try and tell me the Team BAD breakup matches or the weird Superstars feud with Summer Rae were good.

I could listen to arguments about Sasha vs. Becky for a spot but to say she deserves it as much as Bayley is silly

Since it's not even March yet, I see your point of view but respectfully disagree.

• Like 1

Dean did win an amazing match against "giving a fuck about living" by shitting on Brock Lesnar publicly knowing he would probably be in a ring with him again.

That same night he was featured in a pretty epic match of "Steve Austin's bullshit advice vs. A kid trying to remember what room detention is in."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I didn't vote Sasha and I'm not arguing for her inclusion, but now that you mention it Becky being a lock is something I don't understand at all.

18 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

I didn't vote Sasha and I'm not arguing for her inclusion, but now that you mention it Becky being a lock is something I don't understand at all.

It's funny because when I was doing it I put her down and then afterwards I was like "What am I basing that on?' and a lot of stuff - while not bad, I realized I was either disappointed in or underwhelmed with.

Now - I know a lot of others think she is a lock but I also know that I can't trust anyone's opinion

I would say right now she would be sitting on the "First One Out" list

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Two people with a legit shot of winning the whole thing had their worst matches of the time period against Ambrose

AJ Styles and Chris Jericho

And that isn't bringing up the Brock Lesnar match

On the contrary- AJ Styles is the only one who was against primarily good performers, and Jericho didn't catch fire until he allied with Kevin Owens. Heck, when he was against Ambrose, Jericho seemed like he was just...meh, Chris Jericho's back again. 

Heck, if you think of it- between a year of: Jericho before he caught fire, trying to keep Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns on their game when Reigns was absolutely done and no one wanted to boo Rollins specifically because he fought Reigns, feuding with Dolph Ziggler as his WWE Title feud...even WITH a bad AJ Styles feud, Dean Ambrose's year would be closer to the starter for a really crappy team who goes 10-14, but had an ERA in the low-3.00s and good advanced metrics, and making it clear "it's not HIS fault he had to carry these losers", not "this guy sucked"...or for March Madness, the major conference team with a  sub-.500 record in conference that made the semifinals in the conference tournament.  That would put Ambrose as a field-worthy person over a few 20+ win indy guys.

-Ambrose because I liked his matches with Rollins as the champion. That probably makes me a crazy person. I argue that it's possible that both things are true.
-Corbin because I like watching Corbin be violent, which means I like watching Corbin more than the rest of this field. He's probably a first round elimination.
-Joe, because the Joe/Zayn 2/3 falls match is in the eligible period and that match ruled. I also liked the first Nakamura match because Brawler Joe is my favorite Joe.

Voted for Sasha, Braun and Ambrose. I feel Ambrose deserves more credit than he is going to get for headlining the Smackdown house shows since the brand split, plus I got to see him play an amazing dirtbag heel on a house show against Jericho last May.

Wanted to vote for Rusev, but he has been spinning his wheels since the Enzo/Cass feud started. Him in KO's spot as HHH's chosen one to take over for Rollins would have been so much better.

I went Sasha/Ambrose/Rusev, but it hurt my heart not to vote for Corbin and Braun. If they'd had a whole year like their performance since the draft, they'd be no brainers and probably not even need to be on this list.

I went with Sasha, Rusev and Samoa Joe.  Sasha might have mainly feuded with Charlotte, but they were mostly damn good matches.  And while she had some stumbles (the fake retirement speech is still super cringe-worthy) overall she's done her damndest to shine when it counts.  Rusev should have been a lock for this based off all the gold he's delivered in the voting year.  I'll admit it's been mainly non-wrestling as his matches aren't on par with previous years.  I don't blame that on him as it was mainly matchups and times that didn't lead to gold.  But his stuff against Roman was pretty good.  And Joe might have had some disappointing matches, but he's motherfrakin' Samoa Joe and he delivered in great matches as well.  The intensity he brings is fantastic and you just can't help but believe in what he's doing.

It hurt a tad not voting American Alpha because they're so damn good.  But once they got drafted something got lost in translation and I don't blame them for it.  I love Finn but with little matches and his injury I couldn't vote for him.  And if Rusev wasn't on this list I'd vote either Corbin or Strowman who has really improved.

As for the rest, I like Alexa and New Day a ton, but they had no chance this year.  And I just don't care much for Dean, Seth or Dolph so I won't be terribly sad to not see them in this. 

Joe: What was the worst match he had in the period, the Balor match in the cage? His first match with Nakamura? I refuse to grade him on the curve of "he could have done better". So what? Alexa Bliss couldn't have had a much better year than she did. Does anyone really want to argue that her matches were better than Joe's?

Sasha: She's not going to go to the finals, but she still deserves to be in the tournament. The triple threat at Mania and the Charlotte feud put her comfortably in.

New Day: Yes their title reign went on about 3 months longer than it should have, and yes, the Old Day segment was basically Hitler. Still, they're one of the few acts in the company I will never FF through.

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

Joe: What was the worst match he had in the period, the Balor match in the cage? His first match with Nakamura? I refuse to grade him on the curve of "he could have done better". So what? Alexa Bliss couldn't have had a much better year than she did. Does anyone really want to argue that her matches were better than Joe's?

Sasha: She's not going to go to the finals, but she still deserves to be in the tournament. The triple threat at Mania and the Charlotte feud put her comfortably in.

New Day: Yes their title reign went on about 3 months longer than it should have, and yes, the Old Day segment was basically Hitler. Still, they're one of the few acts in the company I will never FF through.

Are you telling me you didn't get an itchy FF finger when they were making Titus carry a keg around and crack jokes before a dull match that took up an incredible 27 minutes of a 3 hour show!?  C'mon?  Really?  Really you didn't FF that?