DVDVR Message Board

[MM17] WEEDING THROUGH THE WWE SLOG

RIPPA

PICK 3 WWE FOLKS TO MAKE MARCH MADNESS 2017  

67 members have voted

1. 1. PICK UP TO 3 PEOPLE

This poll is closed to new votes

MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS BEFORE VOTING!!!!

Since the field is going back to 64 - it is getting harder and harder to justify having 45 WWE affiliated wrestlers in the field. Especially when only about 3 of them had a legit year I would actually say was worthy of winning this.

Now - I debated just making my own cuts but I am going to do this poll to at least let you have a say. No matter what - tough choices (well maybe for some) need to be made.

KEEP READING ALL THIS BEFORE YOU VOTE

This poll is only for MAIN ROSTER folks. I have CWC/205Live and NXT folks in their own separate lists

I already have 12 "spots" filled for WWE MAIN ROSTER guys. They are: AJ Styles, Charlotte, Bayley, Becky Lynch, Chris Jericho, Kevin Owens, Roman Reigns, Miz, John Cena, Sami Zayn, Wyatt Family (Bray, Orton & Harper) and Cesaro/Sheamus. If they aren't in this list or in the poll - it is because I am not wasting my time with them. It is possible I spaced on someone but I just went through the roster on WWE.com so I think I am good. I mean I am already pushing it at 12

HOW TO ACTUALLY VOTE

You may choose to vote for UP TO THREE people (It is the honor system so if it shows I can't trust you fucks - I will just end the poll and make my own picks)

TOP TWO get into the tournament (the next two will be on the bubble and may or may not get in depending on the numbers.)

Poll will stay open till the end of Tuesday (unless it is obvious who is winning)

Just to explain some of my Alexander Haig like choices

- What is probably going to be my #1 mantra this year during this fucking tournament. At some point you have to have the matches to back it up

- The Wyatts are still all together because most of the year was either together or feuding with each other.

- Cesaro and Sheamus are the same. Besides being a tag team now - MOST of their singles work came against each other.

- This is always why Sasha is in this poll and not automatic. Bayley and Becky each have a deeper resume of non-Charlotte matches during the time period. (Plus Bayley as defending champ gets an automatic berth) Sasha not so much.

- Finn Balor has something like only 10 or 12 televised matches during the time period. That is low enough that he needs to fight for a spot.

My picks, and why.

Corbin- Clear as day to me the strongest name on the field. Yes, it wasn't a very complete year, but he wasn't bad in the first half, just underutilized. And he's been fucking fire lately.

American Alpha- Not over, but all 3 of the Revival matches are in the time period, and there matches with the Wyatts were fun if nothing else. 

Braun Strowman- Most of his matches haven't been overly competitive, obviously, but I think he's been outstanding in the role he has had. 

EDIT: Hmm, meant to vote for 3, only voted Corbin. So that sucks. But Corbin was the one I put the most weight into.

2 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

My picks, and why.

Corbin- Clear as day to me the strongest name on the field. Yes, it wasn't a very complete year, but he wasn't bad in the first half, just underutilized. And he's been fucking fire lately.

American Alpha- Not over, but all 3 of the Revival matches are in the time period, and there matches with the Wyatts were fun if nothing else. 

Braun Strowman- Most of his matches haven't been overly competitive, obviously, but I think he's been outstanding in the role he has had. 

EDIT: Hmm, meant to vote for 3, only voted Corbin. So that sucks. But Corbin was the one I put the most weight into.

That was my fault - forgot to click the button that allows multiple choices.

I think I can edit - hold on

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

If we include the sum total of their year, and not just in ring work, Rusev is a slam dunk no brainer, thanks to UUDD, total divas etc. 

I think non-ring work can carry people so far but at some point it is about wrestling

This is why I think the Hardy vote is going to be fascinating

And BTW - one of my votes was for Rusev

Just now, El Dragon said:

I know it's a little early to go into "justify votes" stuff, but I'm legitimately curious why anyone would vote Finn Balor who had a grand total of 1 matches this year that wasn't pretty underwhelming, and that was a Samoa Joe show match.

He had two in one night better than that Joe match.

the 4-way and then the Universal Finals against Reigns

Now that being said - It is more me being more down on others than being high on Finn

Just now, odessasteps said:

True. But his other stuff should at least get him on the ballot. The UUDD Fifa stuff was hilarious. 

If he worked anywhere else - he would have been on already

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

He had two in one night better than that Joe match.

the 4-way and then the Universal Finals against Reigns

Now that being said - It is more me being more down on others than being high on Finn

I can buy that argument pretty strongly. This field isn't exactly wonderful. 

That said, the Universal Final was actually against Rollins, and it kinda sucked. The Reigns was good, I admit, but I also thought he was the worst part of that 4 way.

I went with
-Rusev: That one Raw match against Roman Reigns was one of my favourite matches of the year.  Plus, he carried all sorts of folks to entertaining/watchable matches/feuds (All that stuff with Enzo, Cass, Jinder should have been basically unwatchable but he made it all work).
-Sasha Banks: Yeah, the bulk of her good stuff was against Charlotte.  But she had some fun, watchable stuff with Nia Jax, too.
-Dolph Ziggler: I mean, I get the board hate of him, I really do.  But I also think he had a pretty terrific year, ring-wise, with fun stuff against Baron Corbin, the Miz feud (Sure Miz carried it, but Dolph at least chipped in), and I've enjoyed his last mont or so of beating up Crews and Kalisto.

Also, no Ellsworth, no peace!

• Like 2

Yes, and he's usually as good as his opponent but he's still better than the rest imo (well, the others I didn't pick).

Also went with Rusev, who had another year of making the impossible possible given how bad his booking has been since the crappy Cena feud, and Joe, who had some disappointing matches for sure but his out of ring stuff is always fantastic and there were at least a handful of pretty great matches too.

I am all aboard the Strowman Express but no way does his ring work justify his place YET. Corbin has potential but he's a heinous promo and his control segments are boring.

I didn't vote for Ambrose, but I watched KO/Ambrose from the 2016 Rumble last night and it was pretty good. I think both of them held their own.

It's amusing that Braun is probably a lock to get into this thing when for half of the year he did lame squash matches, had an underwhelming LMS match with Sami Zayn, and was the "monster" in multi-tag matches with the Wyatts and the Survivor Series RAW/SD match. Entertaining? Absolutely. Most Improved on the main roster? I would say so. Deserves a spot in March Madness because of those things and not the in-ring work? Not a chance.

----

But, I'm bias, because I voted for Seth Rollins (duh) and he doesn't get the love he deserves. Rollins/Balor was really good I thought, I just watched it again last night (thank god for the Best of 2016 playlist on the Network). Reigns/Rollins at Money in the Bank was really fun, the Shield triple threat was good (but not awesome like we all had hoped). Then you have the Fatal 4 Way match after Balor gave up the title, which was mostly a combined effort of everyone involved (hell, even Big Cass was good in that match). I liked the gimmick matches KO and Rollins had too, but they were a bit overbooked and didn't make KO look strong because of Jericho.

I voted for American Alpha mainly due to everything pre-July they did. If that doesn't count... uh, I really liked the four corners elimination match where they won over the Wyatts? I probably shouldn't have even bothered with them, on second thought, I would have went with Alexa Bliss (IMO, the women's MVP on Smackdown).

And finally, Baron Corbin.... everyone else has said why. I love everything about the guy, but he's wooden on the microphone, so I wish they'd work with him a little more on that. He's having a stellar 2017 so far, and ever since he debuted on the main roster he's been moving up the ladder quickly. Didn't care for his feud with Kalisto, but I'll be damned if that Chairs match wasn't great.

• Like 1

Amusingly, I thought of anyone on this poll Rollins has the worst argument. Ambrose and Ziggler aren't my favorites, but they have had some great matches, that I liked far better then anything Seth did this year. I also don't understand why such a naturally talented high flyer can feel so fucking unauthentic as a babyface? I can't think of anyone who clearly (at least in theory) has all the tools to be a good face just being so horrible at it. It's not just writing, it's how he works. 

Yeah, I mean, Ambrose is not very high on my list of WWE guys at all,  but nobody else in this group can match the volume of good to great matches he was involved in this year.  Even if it was mostly by virtue of the fact he was booked against some great guys in long-ish matches because of his position on the card, and even if he was the least of the guys involved, it still has to count in his favor.

He had the Triple H match from last March, the Shield triple threat, and the series of AJ matches (and the rad No Mercy triple threat) that were among the best in the promotion. Yes, I know the latter was largely due to AJ.

He should be better than he is given how good he was in FCW and in some of the indy matches I've seen going back, but he seems like a guy that is hurt by the WWE match format and having to always get your signature shit in every match. Seems to be a little complacent or jaded, but he's still good.

I don't expect him to even win a round but I think Corbin has a lot of the same weaknesses but can't cut a promo, nor does he have the amount of good or better matches Dean had this year.

I will say, I think Ambrose is actively worse then Corbin, because Corbin's shit looks painful, and most of Ambroses's stuff just doesn't. And Ambrose just has too many dumb spots. Sometimes they work in a clever way, but most of the time... ick. I don't think Dean had a match performance as good as Corbin's in the Chairs match with Kallisto, if I'm being honest. Though, to be fair, Kalisto was the better guy in that match, but that's because Kalisto is awesome, even if he can't cut a promo.

I probably should have voted Ambrose, in retrospect whose stuff I generally enjoy.  I also probably should have voted for Bliss who kind of carried that women's division through the fall, personality-wise.  I mean, Becky's the best SD women's wrestler but her onscreen persona was kind of "OI'M IRISH! OI LOIKE PUNZ!" until Bliss came along and pushed her to the next level.

• Like 1