DVDVR Message Board

RIP Ivan Koloff

Web Conn

My earliest memory of Ivan was watching him vs Ricky Morton at Clash Of The Champions 3. Those early Clashes were like holidays for seven year old me. As a boy I was always convinced this was the night that the heel would actually murder the good guy. When Ricky won I was very relieved  

I was watching 1988 NWA a few years back and I thought the Ivan face turn was done very well. When he attacked Paul Jones he screamed "You are evil man Paul Jones. I always knew but I tried to ignore it." Paraphrasing there, but I always liked how he never fully came across as fully evil. But a foreigner forced into a lifestyle because he could never fully embrace American culture. He was vicious and even sadistic but he had a code of honor.  Even when he was attacking Nikita, he seemed to be trying to knock some sense into his nephew's head. 

Connected to the face turn, I thought the reunion with Nikita was touching. Nikita did a promo saying he knew his uncle was a good man. Unfortunately I can't find either on youtube. 

Back in 2014 I was babysitting my two year old niece Emily. I had finally gotten her to fall asleep, even if it was on my chest. My phone starts ringing, I manage to answer it and I heard this unfamiliar voice. It was Ivan Koloff and it really caught me off guard. He was the most humble polite man. He Talked to me for an hour and taught me a lot. 

RIP Uncle Ivan

• Like 9

I missed it when it first happened, but on the early angle of the days, there were a number of promos where Ivan is reading "fan letters" from Americans who he claims they sympathize with the russian cause and are asking for head bands like his.  I don't know why, but I absolutely love that gimmick.

• Like 2

RIP. As a kid of the 80's, I always hated and I mean hated the evil Russians. Some time in 2007-8 I walked into a Wal-Mart in Fuquay Varina NC and there sat Ivan Koloff selling his book. I bought it and he was quite the nice(and still pretty hefty) man. 

18 hours ago, paul sosnowski said:

Jeez, that match went 30 minutes and Ivan was still chugging away at the end of it. Talk about your Soviet conditioning! 

I love that they switched their world tag titles in SHELBY, NC. 

This one really hurts.  I remember being terrified as a kid of Koloff and then loving him like family after meeting him in person at some NWA show in Charlotte.

I was a legit teen in tears when Nikita reconciled with Uncle Ivan on television.

I will never forget the story of Koloff knocking out Manny Fernandez after Manny stretched a worker during his match (who turned out to be one of Koloff's trainees), because the promoter of the card was short on gate and couldn't pay Manny his promised cut.

RIP Russian Bear.

• Like 1

I think I was like 15 when the Koloffs were involved in the Eddie Gilbert-Korchenko-Bill Watts angle in UWF. I liked wrestling before but I was a fan from that point forward. Fucking Ivan was real, man. He was choking Watts with the chain while Watts bled a gusher and Ross was having a coronary. Truly great wrestling. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mick32 said:

I think I was like 15 when the Koloffs were involved in the Eddie Gilbert-Korchenko-Bill Watts angle in UWF. I liked wrestling before but I was a fan from that point forward. Fucking Ivan was real, man. He was choking Watts with the chain while Watts bled a gusher and Ross was having a coronary. Truly great wrestling. 

Insert gratuitious Russian Flag Burial plug here.