DVDVR Message Board

RIP George "The Animal" Steele

Pete

When I was a kid I think the Macho Man/Animal feud was the first feud I might really been invested in emotionally because of what Macho Man did to Ricky Steamboat and how mean he was to Miss Elizabeth all the time. Little five year old me wanted to see George Steele win and save Miss Elizabeth from him. That's when you know you got something magical I think.

The WWE could try a million times in the future to create something like a George Steele, but it would never be genuine. I'm gonna miss the guy. Another cherished part of my childhood gone.

I set up a youtube playlist of Steele matches. 

He was a very good heel. His matches with Hogan and Backlund had great heel work. It was impressive how he could play a beast but also somewhat cagey. He could also take big bumps when he wanted to. At exactly the right moment and to maximum effect. 

I watched a lot of his face matches. I don't know if he was ever fully comfortable in the role. But the matches were entertaining. One with Orndorff I really liked and Steele is pretty high up in my favorite Savage opponents. 

I had this dream once, that Savage pinned Steamboat at Wrestlemania 3, Steele went berzerk and maimed Savage, then went on a rampage that Hogan had to stop. 

Speaking of, is Steele the only guy to beat Hogan on television (first WWF run) and Hogan did not get his win back?

All of this stuff with Savage and mine is just like Dusty being remembered for the polka dots.

I went to the Garden to see Steele against Backlund and we were sure it was going to be a Koloff/Stasiak style title change to get to Snuka. Looking back at the timing I'm not sure if it was killing his girlfriend or drugs which changed it, but it really seemed to be set up for the change. And by the way, George lost on a roll up in about 1 minute.

On 2/17/2017 at 2:06 PM, Hamhock said:

My favorite little flourish of his run against Savage was after he lost on SNME, and Steamboat consoled him by sifting through the pile of turnbuckle stuffing and pretending to make it snow.

giphy.gif

• Like 1