DVDVR Message Board

SDL is a show. 2/14/2017

zev

Bray walking down with the belt with the firefly lights everywhere was awesome and a moment. Great "moment of triumph" speech welcoming us to The Era of Wyatt.

The main event itself was awesome. I loved the Harper run-in with the parlor trick lights. Dude is emerging. In my fantasy booking scenario, he wins the Andre The Giant Battle Royale and then gets into it with Bray for the title after WM. The match itself was really friggin' great and nuts with a bunch of great dives and car crashes. Mauro did such a great job anytime Cena had a pinfall to note the historic potential of his victory. Second time in three nights Bray has pinned Cena, too.

The end segment was pretty awesome, too. It very much adds some intrigue to the plot. Orton hitting the RKO on Bray is going to be a great moment.

Corbin rag-dolling Ambrose was also really solid.

• Like 1

I love the idea that Wyatt has power/control over Orton in a cult leader type scenario, what's intriguing to me is that Bryan announced on Talking Smack that next week there will be a battle royal for the #1 contender spot because Orton does not want the match. 

Maybe AJ Styles wins and is inserted back into the title picture.

• Like 1

There's a new game
We like to play you see
A game with added reality
You treat me like a dog
Get me down on my knees 
We call it master and servant

Main was great, but man, I'm just not buying Bray at all. I hate his current look and the character has lost all of its shine. And Orton sounded so goddamn fake and corny, but that's always been the case. 

But whatever, match was awesome and Harper came off like a badass. 

Becky/Mickie is great. BOO on that crowd for cheering Alexa over Naomi.

Not sure where they're going with this Ellsworth thing.

I hate the four man announce table. HATE. I feel like Mauro was doing too good a job, so they sent in Graves to right the ship on Raw and did what they could to make the SD team total shit.

Bray's reign is off to a good start with that promo and the main event. Loved Harper's attack and the match itself was good.  I like that Orton gave up up his title shot. I hope they actually stick to that and give us something more interesting for Wrestlemania though I fully expect Bray vs. Orton to still happen.

Becky/Mickie was good. I'm looking forward to how they settle the rubber match. The Naomi/Alexa segment was decent stuff. I'm curious if they wil actually get a rematch at Wrestlemania itself which is not what I would have expected. I loved Bryan throwing Alexa off during Talking Smack.

I'm pleased Nikki & Nattie are getting a Falls Count Anywhere match, but I'm also pretty damn pissed that its in Canada. That just seems supremely moronic with how much Canadians covet Canadian wrestlers. No way Nattie is getting booed there.

The lack of Miz on the main show or Talking Smack was disappointing.

• Like 1

I can see Harper being the last one in the battle royal but being laid out by Orton for attacking Bray in the title match, a triple threat between all three Wyatt members at Mania would be all kinds of great and a way better prospect than just Orton/Wyatt alone. I'm not having the criticism of Orton at all, this is the most I've been invested in him in at least ten years, if not ever. There's so many avenues they can go down with this and I have faith it'll be some good shit. 

On talking smack AJ furthered his animosity with Shane for not granting him his rematch first so I imagine he won't be winning the battle royal and AJ/Shane is a lock for Mania which is a waste of AJ to me but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

Main Event was great. I liked Orton backing out of the match with Bray to throw people off a little bit. It's a LONG time until WrestleMania so they've got to fill time somehow.

The end game to the storyline is likely that Orton has been manipulating Bray the whole time so what if he "accidentally" helps Harper win the battle royal? A triple threat match is his only way to guarantee that Wyatt and Harper don't reconcile before WrestleMania. It all builds up to a big spot where they do the Sister Abigail into the RKO on Harper and then Randy finally RKO's Bray and wins the title. That would be a great spot.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cameron Swift said:

Has Ellsworth jumped the shark for anybody else yet? The business isn't known for its skilled thespians, but he lowers the standard substantially.

If he never shows up on my television again, he won't be missed.

My favorite thing tonight was Dean somehow setting off the pyrotechnic "explosion" when he was in mid-air.

That was one magic loogie.

• Like 3

AJ taking the Muhammed Ali "this man is too ugly to be champ" attitude towards Bray was fucking tremendous.  Asserting his claim to the title via not getting his rematch was the proper thing to do.  Champs don't sit on their thumbs and let the world pass them by.

Poor Konnor and Viktor.  It's kinda obvious that The Ascension got a bit more time than usual against the champs in a bit of DEFEND YOUR EXISTENCE and they are much better than they used to be, but they are still buried soooooo far underground that the very idea of them being viable contenders in the tag title picture is totally unbelievable.  That being said, that match should've been for the belts.  You could at least tease the scare of heel underdogs possibly stealing a championship.

Usos are next in line for a shot at the tag belts [sarcasm] big surprise [/sarcasm].  Embrace your heel Samoan heritage and remove your footwear!

Corbin vs. Ambrose sounds like a fun feud on paper.  Having two psychos beating the shit out of each other should not be a difficult thing to sell.   Good on the book for having Corbin's motivation be the notion of getting screwed out of winning the title in the EC.  In all things mid and upper card, the title should always matter.  If it weren't for the insistence that I buy into the Lone Wolf gimmick and assume that Baron will always be a rebel and a loner, I could see Ambrose and Corbin forming a successful unit since they are very similar thematically and the batshit insane wily veteran / batshit insane hoss rookie combo would pose a credible threat to AA's tag team dominance.

Mickie got one back via veteran shenanigans.  Like we didn't expect a third match between her and Becky..

Alexa Bliss is one of the best heels in wrestling right now.  I love / hate her to the point that I am really looking forward to Naomi kafabe crippling her in the rematch.  Someone needs to coach Naomi on delivering promos, because Alexa has Naomi totally outclassed in the gab department.

All of this loyalty bullshit is bullshit.  Randy Orton ain't referred to as The Viper for nothing.  There will eventually be a backstabbin' and Bray and Randy will be wresting for the belt at WM while AJ and Cena work the #1 Contender's Match.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bink_winkleman said:

I hate the four man announce table. HATE. I feel lime Mauro was doing too good a job, so they sent in Graves to right the ship on Raw and did what they could to make the SD team total shit.

Is this a common opinion? If I were to remove one announcer from the SDL booth, Mauro would go.

• Like 1

Well it depends on what you are saying the "common opinion" is.

Like most feel that Mauro is the best play by play person the WWE has (but that is a low bar). Granted - there is an inherent bias there as most LOVED his work on the New Japan English show.

As per with everyone else - he is much better when not getting micromanaged by Vince (like Michael Cole on the UK show, Mauro's best work was probably the CWC)

You would not be the first person to not like Mauro though. I have seen/heard arguments that his over the top excitement comes off as fake, the hookey catchphrases (MAMA MIA!), the pop culture references that are forced and unnecessary, etc...

Now - no matter how you feel about the job Mauro is doing, I don't know how you can say he is the first to go when Otunga is sitting there

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well it depends on what you are saying the "common opinion" is.

Like most feel that Mauro is the best play by play person the WWE has (but that is a low bar). Granted - there is an inherent bias there as most LOVED his work on the New Japan English show.

As per with everyone else - he is much better when not getting micromanaged by Vince (like Michael Cole on the UK show, Mauro's best work was probably the CWC)

You would not be the first person to not like Mauro though. I have seen/heard arguments that his over the top excitement comes off as fake, the hookey catchphrases (MAMA MIA!), the pop culture references that are forced and unnecessary, etc...

Now - no matter how you feel about the job Mauro is doing, I don't know how you can say he is the first to go when Otunga is sitting there

Tom Phillips is sitting there as well.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Otunga is bland but fills the role of defacto face ex-wrestler interjecting bullshit in the vein of Bruno/Superstar/Piper/Savage, whereas both Tom and Mauro are there doing the same thing (play-by-play). And I guess I'm a lot higher on Tom than most, because Mauro's obnoxious gimmick (everything you mentioned)  puts him way below Tom to me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Alexa Bliss is one of the best heels in wrestling right now.  I love / hate her to the point that I am really looking forward to Naomi kafabe crippling her in the rematch.  Someone needs to coach Naomi on delivering promos, because Alexa has Naomi totally outclassed in the gab department.

It didn't help that the promo consisted of Naomi being silent and glaring at Alexa for 75% of it. But yea, good stuff from Alexa. I'm looking forward to the rematch.

Very glad to hear about the stipulation for Nikki/Nattie. They've been having some fun brawls so I can imagine this will be good.

Another good match between Mickie and Becky. Somewhere, I imagine Daizee Haze was watching and feeling vindicated. LOL 

I think one of the problems with Ascension is that the dynamic of their finisher is off. Why is the big guy doing the chop block and the little guy doing the uppercut/lariat? Should be reversed. It would look more impressive if Konnor was the one taking the guy's head off with an uppercut rather than Viktor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Otunga is bland but fills the role of defacto face ex-wrestler interjecting bullshit in the vein of Bruno/Superstar/Piper/Savage, whereas both Tom and Mauro are there doing the same thing (play-by-play). And I guess I'm a lot higher on Tom than most, because Mauro's obnoxious gimmick (everything you mentioned)  puts him way below Tom to me.

My problem with Otunga as the face color guy is that he was never a face when he was a wrestler so it comes off awkward. Plus he is an idiot. And I am tired of him eye fucking me without my consent

I don't mind Tom at all and if he was the color guy who survives fine. (Though he clearly worked best with Corey)

• Like 5