DVDVR Message Board

MMMMM-Good!!! The Food Thread Returns

OSJ

During our trip to Italy, I fixed us four meals with fresh ravioli and tomato sauce along with fresh cherry tomatoes to somewhat keep the costs down on the overall budget. Tasty, quick and affordable. Many different options to choose from, too!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Chicago for the first time this weekend.

I've made a reservation at Girl & The Goat for dinner on Saturday night.

Any food recommendations, preferably downtown?

This past Saturday I made a batch of spaghetti(crock pot) and meat loaf(oven). I used Jalapeno Cheddar bulk sausage(2.5 lbs.). 
The meat loaf.

3 eggs, 1 packet Kinder's Meat Loaf mix, 1 can tomato sauce, way too many bread crumbs. Mixed all of that into some hand grenade looking balls and put them in pans in the oven for a few hours @ 325F.

The spaghetti.

1.25 lbs. JC sausage, 1 lb. pot ready spaghetti, 1 can Shitake mushrooms, 1 jar Our Family Mushroom/Garlic pasta sauce. Let cook in the crock for a few hours.

Both came out amazing.

• Like 2

You know for all the nights I've spent in Chicago I've only ate out once there, and I don't even remember which Deep Dish place it was at; it was probably a Giordano's because there are a ton of them. We had that and fried calimari. The waitress was SUPER Polish. The pizza was the pizza. I know it gets a lot of hate but I'm fine with eating a casserole if it's made out of pizza ingredients. And I HATE casseroles of all kinds. 

I can't even really recommend a bar. My friends were only on the cusp of 21 then, and we were in the business of live music.