DVDVR Message Board

MMMMM-Good!!! The Food Thread Returns

OSJ

I am eating wings made with the Carolina Reaper. These are fucking hot and I am a fool. 

I can do ***** Pad Thai without blinking, but this is a whole 'nother level.  I want GGG's to come in and punch me in the head so the pain will stop. Why do I do shit like this? I'm supposed to be old enough to know better. Yeah, have a menu that dares me to eat something called "Inferno", works every time.

• Like 1

My cousin grows his own peppers. He gave me a dried Carolina Reaper and told me explicitly "DO NOT EAT IT ALL AT ONCE!" and being the brilliant person that I am, I ate the whole thing at once. What followed was 12 serious hours of heartburn. Never again.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:31 PM, Eivion said:

You are clearly a glutton for punishment.

I have found the secret. My usual order is a 1/2 pound of "Super hot", they're like the equivalent to Dorito's Blaze, definitely not for sissies, but full-flavored and very tasty. Nice afterburn, but nothing too extreme. Since the nice people at Albertson's will let you mix 'em up, the trick is to swap out three of the "Super hot" for three "Infernos".  If you thought that "Super hot" was hotter than "Inferno". you would be very, very wrong. Anyway, the swap gives you  a ratio of two to one "Super Hot" to "Inferno" that's perfectly do-able and prevents the sad situation of having an "Inferno" as your last wing. That's a regrettably situation because (a.) who the fuck saves one wing in the fridg for later and (b.) you're going to eat it because your parents raised you to not be wasteful. The sad result is (c.) it was not only the last wing, but to make matters worse, you foolishly ate all the coleslaw/egg-salad/potato-salad (whatever you got as a side-dish today* so there is nothing left to diminish the fire of the final wing.

*I always asked for the Asian-noodles with wasabi salad, but never got it because one of the aforementioned was on sale, so now that I know Kathy isn't going to get unless I go to the store with her, I just say "Anything will be fine..."

As today is her birthday, I starved myself today with the intent of taking her to the Sizzler (which I can't abide, but she really likes) only to be told she "doesn't feel like going out". I point out that the Sizzler isn't exactly "going out" any more than Denny's or Cracker Barrel is "going out" you have to at least be Olive Garden to constitute as  "going out", anything below that is merely "grabbing some grub". We'll see what this evening brings... At the very least I should be able to talk her into Birthday pizza and ice cream at Baskin Robbins for desert, but I'll aim higher and try for the sushi joint. I just got a royalty check today, so it's not like we're broke....

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2018 at 2:32 PM, OSJ said:

I am eating wings made with the Carolina Reaper. These are fucking hot and I am a fool. 

I can do ***** Pad Thai without blinking, but this is a whole 'nother level.  I want GGG's to come in and punch me in the head so the pain will stop. Why do I do shit like this? I'm supposed to be old enough to know better. Yeah, have a menu that dares me to eat something called "Inferno", works every time.

My wife was shopping in El Paso and stopped at Moes for lunch, I asked her to bring me home some hot salsa. Well, the options that they had were Mild, Mild, and Extra Hot. She chose the last one, and I had yet another reason to realize that I'm not as young as I used to be.

You guys don't have Nando's where you are, but their Hot is actually worse than the Extra Hot.  I'm pretty sure it's because the people who prep it think, "Oh shit, this guy ordered Extra Hot" and then only apply what is called for, whereas they probably slather on the Hot without worrying about it.  Both are a chemical burn waiting to happen, but neither ruin the flavor of the chicken (one of the many reasons why I don't eat chicken wings).

That reminds me, I need to go to Bonchon and get some bull dak (first time, I was repeatedly warned it was too hot and scarfed it without hesitation; second time, they must have half-assed it or assumed I couldn't handle it at full strength...jerks).

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

You guys don't have Nando's where you are, but their Hot is actually worse than the Extra Hot.  I'm pretty sure it's because the people who prep it think, "Oh shit, this guy ordered Extra Hot" and then only apply what is called for, whereas they probably slather on the Hot without worrying about it.  Both are a chemical burn waiting to happen, but neither ruin the flavor of the chicken (one of the many reasons why I don't eat chicken wings).

That reminds me, I need to go to Bonchon and get some bull dak (first time, I was repeatedly warned it was too hot and scarfed it without hesitation; second time, they must have half-assed it or assumed I couldn't handle it at full strength...jerks).

Were you still down south when the Carolina Reaper became a thing?

4 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Nando's Chicken has flavour? Who knew?

I don't really eat their through choice, but occasionally not to be a social pariah (I am in the UK after all) I will acquiesce. In which case I'm loading sauce on every which way I can.

Red Tractor standard chicken is nasty - I don't agree with Jamie Oliver on much but on this we are in accord. Get ye an Ocado delivery and an organic bird!

(And if you're not in Ocado's delivery area, then obviously you need to move)

5 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

My wife was shopping in El Paso and stopped at Moes for lunch, I asked her to bring me home some hot salsa. Well, the options that they had were Mild, Mild, and Extra Hot. She chose the last one, and I had yet another reason to realize that I'm not as young as I used to be.

I got my training at this 1st ave dive in Seattle run by two Korean sisters. They did an Asian lunch menu and would ask "How hot you like?" Foolish me, I would say "Oh, just the way that you make it at home..." Sweet tap-dancing Jeebus, that was like a plate of fire, you needed a full pitcher of beer just to make it through. Since then, I foolishly will put just about anything into my mouth. The most painful has to be just lathering a wing with DA BOMB: Beyond Insanity. The shit says "food additive", not sauce, "food additive". This should be a clue as if "beyond insanity" doesn't invoke caution. I came, I saw, I ate, and for fifteen minutes I alternated being afraid that I would die with being afraid that I would not... Damn....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I like the bull dak though it wasn't terribly spicy for me.  I've liked it the few times I ate it but the main thing I would go for is the double fried chicken.  When it's cooked right that is some next-level sorcery they use to make it that damn good.  Too bad the store in Canton closed on us with no warning and my wife was out of a job due to that.  But if I can get over that I might have to swing by one of their locations again.

So, I've decided I'm going to start curing my own bacon and panchetta.  I may decide to expand to other charcuterie, but I'll need a second refrigerator for that(I've already started looking, lol).  I'm making sweet maple cured bacon and a more savory garlic herb cured bacon.  Between now and 2 weeks from now, I have to figure out how to cold smoke in my smoker...which is probably going to be the real challenge.  Does anyone have any cold smoking experience?  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

For you Mid-Atlantic folks

RIP Esskay hot dogs 

https://bsun.md/2CHKz8W

This greatly saddens me.  It's just a hot dog but seeing the logo and having them as a kid is one of the memories I have of going to Orioles games.  It's very much a Baltimore tradition despite them being made elsewhere.  Sucks to see them phased out though I understand why.

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

This greatly saddens me.  It's just a hot dog but seeing the logo and having them as a kid is one of the memories I have of going to Orioles games.  It's very much a Baltimore tradition despite them being made elsewhere.  Sucks to see them phased out though I understand why.

What the hell, you guys still have crab cakes. 

And locally, crab cakes get balanced out by "lake trout".  McNulty and Bunk weren't making that shit up.  You seeing a lot of lakes around Baltimore?

Reminds me, I gotta see if the Pretzel Dog stand is open again in Fells when I'm up there this weekend.

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

What the hell, you guys still have crab cakes. 

Yes and thank goodness we do (I hear they're Rippa's favorite.  ;) )  But it still sucks seeing a Baltimore staple going away.

And @Contentious C it's now called Stuggy's and the food's pretty darn good.  Not sure what changed other than the name but it'll be open and worth checking out when you're up there.

• 2 months later...

Speaking of things that can double as a cleanser, I just ordered an entire lb. of "Inferno" wings, none of the balancing out with the "super hot" (which is a step down), we're going full-tilt flame on with this stuff, daddy. 

FIVE MINUTES LATER:

Why do I do shit like this, why? There are still three wings left and I'm fucking dying here. I am eating a side of ***** pad thai to cut the burn.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I've seen a couple of people in the past talk about Chester Fried Chicken, i want to say it was @Bustronaut and maybe @Curt McGirt?  Anyway, we have one at a gas station on the other side of town here that we rarely think about when getting take out, but today my wife and I picked up lunch--chicken tenders, potato wedges and some insanely good steak tacos(no clue if this is part of Chester Fried's menu or just something else the people running it sell).   It was all absolutely fantastic.  These aren't rinky dink chicken tenders either, these are huge pieces of all white meat chicken breaded really well.  We will definitely have to try and remember them more often.

chickentenders_zpsvo0muf26.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/1/2019 at 3:09 PM, Contentious C said:

I'll briefly resurrect this thread to mention a lone Fools' Day joke: that Halo Top joked about turning their ice cream into a face cleaning mask.  Having eaten their ice cream exactly once, I'd think if it *were* a face mask, a lot of things would have made a lot more sense about that experience.

I recently tried Halo Top's Waffle and Pancake flavored ice cream. It was delicious. It really did taste like pancakes and waffles. 

As for Chester Chicken, there's one in a convenience store near my house. It used to be a Quick Chek that became Quick Mart. I've never tried the chicken, but I'm tempted to. It looks good anytime I go in there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I recently tried Halo Top's Waffle and Pancake flavored ice cream. It was delicious. It really did taste like pancakes and waffles. 

As for Chester Chicken, there's one in a convenience store near my house. It used to be a Quick Chek that became Quick Mart. I've never tried the chicken, but I'm tempted to. It looks good anytime I go in there.

I'm going to have to look for the Waffle and Pancake Halo Top.  I had the pistachio awhile back and thought it had really good flavor.  The texture is different, I liked it but I can see why some people might not.

• 1 month later...

I am enjoying my lunch and feeling sad for all of you who aren't in New Mexico and thus can't enjoy the greatness that is Blake's LottaBurger. I imagine Campbell knows of what I speak.

• 1 month later...

Digging into this thread because I've been doing a lot of travel for work, driving - not flying. Already mentally bookmarked a buncha places I've passed that we don't have any/a lot of here in New England. Only real downside is a lot of times I have a 26' truck, especially when I've gone out to Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, etc. 

You know what else helps when trying random new shit? Using the company card! So even though there's a Cracker Barrel in NH, there are SO many out through northern Indiana and finally trying one, and being MASSIVELY disappointed, didn't cost me a dime of my own ?