DVDVR Message Board

MMMMM-Good!!! The Food Thread Returns

OSJ

As Rippa has mentioned he's not fond of threads started by now banned members, I shall hereby resurrect the food thread, since the recent wrestling thread is proof positive that many of us wish to talk about things we eat as much as we do things we watch... "Bon appetite" or "Alez Cuisine" if you prefer. Let us begin with an essential:

What hot sauce do you prefer (if you're going to say "Tabasco", just sit in the corner and listen while the adults talk.) Obviously, you want something with kickass heat, but also something that has some flavor. I get a nice citrus aftertaste with this, so it's pretty much my go-to hot sauce or additive, actually the latter, if you were to just slather this stuff you would be sorry, and that's from a guy that eats fire like a native of Bangkok. 

s-l1600.jpg

The whole craft sauces thing had gotten ridiculous ten years ago. Just before we left Seattle a boutique opened with nothing but hot sauces including "limited edition" stuff for silly amounts of money. Once you get to a certain point, the Scoville units don't matter, it's all just pure heat.

Meant to add, haven't tried Valentina, but will certainly do so. The Safeway here really has a fantastic selection for a small town. Of course, it IS New Mexico, where at all three meals you're asked, "Red, green or both?" referring to chili peppers.

Someone bought me the hot sauce in OSJ's post, as I used to slather some of the generic brand hot chilli sauce I got from the local Tesco on my pasta salad lunch.

So I opened that bottle. 135k scoville units, it said. Could be fun, I said.

Once I regained consciousness, I stuck it in a lead-lined lockbox. Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. I HAD NO NOSEHAIRS LEFT. It put hairs on the hairs on my chest. 

I can only put four or five drops in the pasta salad, and just about survive. Its such an overpowering citrus and peppercorn hit that I cant have it more than once a week. It's INSANE.

• Like 1

I've never understood the "eating food that will make you miserable" thing.  My friend did one of those super hot wing challenges and ended up curled up on her bathroom floor, and her son thinking she was dead.  When she told me she had to sign a waiver, I knew I would never do that shit. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I've never understood the "eating food that will make you miserable" thing.  My friend did one of those super hot wing challenges and ended up curled up on her bathroom floor, and her son thinking she was dead.  When she told me she had to sign a waiver, I knew I would never do that shit. 

Exactly, there's a fine line between an enjoyable burn that makes for enjoyment and miserable amounts of heat. I'm a fire-eater, but the local Albertson's (of all places) did some super-hot wings in their deli, complete with warning. C'mon it's fucking Albertson's, how hot can they be? Give me a half-pound of that stuff. Yiyiyiyi, I could only eat two, it was just ridiculous heat, so much so I suspect that one could actually burn their lips if they weren't careful. Goddamn, food is meant to be eaten, not fought with.

6 hours ago, Red is Dead said:

Someone bought me the hot sauce in OSJ's post, as I used to slather some of the generic brand hot chilli sauce I got from the local Tesco on my pasta salad lunch.

So I opened that bottle. 135k scoville units, it said. Could be fun, I said.

Once I regained consciousness, I stuck it in a lead-lined lockbox. Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. I HAD NO NOSEHAIRS LEFT. It put hairs on the hairs on my chest. 

I can only put four or five drops in the pasta salad, and just about survive. Its such an overpowering citrus and peppercorn hit that I cant have it more than once a week. It's INSANE.

I have never used more than a few drops to cook with. My standard is dip in a toothpick and then dip the toothpick into my ramen, comes out just right. A friend slathered some on a hotdog like it was ketchup, the result was amusing...

15 hours ago, OSJ said:

What hot sauce do you prefer (if you're going to say "Tabasco", just sit in the corner and listen while the adults talk.)

I'm not super big into spiciness, but I use sriracha sauce, the one with the rooster on the bottle obv.  I sort of thought that was the popular go-to option for hot sauce these days - they have sriracha-flavored chips and popcorn in the supermarkets around here.  Maybe it's a regional thing.

• Like 2

I was big on Sriracha for awhile, I'm kinda into Gochujang right now. It's a Korean chili paste, you need to dilute it down with soy sauce or something before it really qualifies as a "sauce", but I'm all about it. It's also great for cooking, similar to the way you'd use tomato paste, a little goes a long way.

Shame on me... I guess that I'm such a burner that I don't even think of Sriacha as a hot sauce, but more a staple that I use like salt and pepper.

This discussion of hot sauces and wings reminds me of the time years ago when my mother bought atomic wings from Wingstop. Never again have we made that mistake. My older brother and myself actually do like spicy foods, but we weren't even sure that thing had flavor beyond burn. The only person who could handle it was my mother who of course mockingly called us wimps. I have no idea how that shit did not bother her one bit. The only thing I can recall is brother mentioning that our grandmother used to grow some seriously hot peppers years before. I can only assume she adapted to heat from those when she was younger.

40 minutes ago, Eivion said:

This discussion of hot sauces and wings reminds me of the time years ago when my mother bought atomic wings from Wingstop. Never again have we made that mistake. My older brother and myself actually do like spicy foods, but we weren't even sure that thing had flavor beyond burn. The only person who could handle it was my mother who of course mockingly called us wimps. I have no idea how that shit did not bother her one bit. The only thing I can recall is brother mentioning that our grandmother used to grow some seriously hot peppers years before. I can only assume she adapted to heat from those when she was younger.

That be lightweight stuff, my friend. There was a wing place on Greenwood in Seattle (forget the name of it) that had a super-atomic-fire wing for $2.50 (yes, $2.50 for one wing, but you got a free one for every one that could eat), $5.00 later my face was burning, but ooh, sooo good... Atomic wings from Wingstop are just right. Hot but flavorful. Wish we had one here... Note to investors, anyone opening a wing place in Gallup will make a fucking fortune, we New Mexicans don't have the rep of the Thais or folks from old Mexico, but Navajos are fucking burners, hot peppers are a staple, (usually habanero and/or ghost chilies). We need a wing joint in Gallup yesterday.

8 hours ago, OSJ said:

That be lightweight stuff, my friend. There was a wing place on Greenwood in Seattle (forget the name of it) that had a super-atomic-fire wing for $2.50 (yes, $2.50 for one wing, but you got a free one for every one that could eat), $5.00 later my face was burning, but ooh, sooo good... Atomic wings from Wingstop are just right. Hot but flavorful. Wish we had one here... Note to investors, anyone opening a wing place in Gallup will make a fucking fortune, we New Mexicans don't have the rep of the Thais or folks from old Mexico, but Navajos are fucking burners, hot peppers are a staple, (usually habanero and/or ghost chilies). We need a wing joint in Gallup yesterday.

What we had was not flavorful. I like wasabi, sriracha, & ghost peppers. This was none of those. What are these Navajos you speak of and what are some food places I might be to try stuff with them?

We got a WOLF counter top oven over the holidays and it's the best damn purchase we've ever made.  The oven that came in our apartment is absolute garbage but since it *technically* works, our landlord would just send people to fix or clean it without replacing it.  Well now it's just storage for pots and pans.

Made a prime rib last night and it was probably the best piece of meat I've ever tasted.  Just purely went with salt & pepper as seasoning and did the reverse sear method of starting off low and slow and crisping up the outside for the last 5 minutes of cooking with the oven cranked all the way up.  Now I'm all about looking up leftover prime rib recipes today to figure out what to do with the 5 pounds I have left sitting in the fridge at home. 

Oh - and as far as hot sauces - I'm all about Marie Sharps Habanero Pepper sauce.  They're based out of Belize and ever since trying their products on a cruise excursion a few years ago, it's been the only hot sauce I keep in the house. 

On 2/14/2017 at 0:47 PM, OSJ said:

Shame on me... I guess that I'm such a burner that I don't even think of Sriacha as a hot sauce, but more a staple that I use like salt and pepper.

That's exactly how I treat it.  It's not something I would consider hot, but man is it a delicious flavoring for food.  Even cheap-ass ramen is better after putting some of that goodness in there.  It's not that hot, but very flavorful.  I'm absolutely in love with sriracha.  So much so that for Christmas my friend got me three sriracha bottle keychains.  I was overjoyed by that thoughtful gesture and have no qualms about taking one with me.

As for hot sauces there's no real brand preference.  Some are definitely better than others, but as long as it's not melting my face I'm good.  I still recall the horror of trying Da Bomb (yes, the one if your first post, OSJ) years ago and it was an hour of agony.  All I did was three drops on a piece of bread and it was enough to make me drink what felt like a gallon of water and some milk.  The toothpick method sounds like a great idea that I'm definitely going to have to try.  And at Inner Harbor there's definitely a boutique hot sauce store.  It's a tourist store, but since I work nearby it's convenient if I want to grab a bottle during lunch break.

Oh, and I have no shame in using Tabasco, but that's ONLY if it's the only option they have at a restaurant or diner (would never think of buying it).  It does add a nice flavor to eggs and such.  Now if there's a "craft" version of it that does the job then I'd love to know.

I came across this gem in the Grocery Outlet for a fantastically low 47 cents, and I have fallen in love with it. Hot enough to notice, but still very flavorful and not overpowering. Pretty tasty stuff. Would probably go really well on a wing, I will have to try that out.

Spoiler

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

Ehh, something that classifies itself as "Extra Hot chili sauce" and feels the need to reinforce the message with "hot and spicy" is automatically suspect in my my mind. 

These "Navajos" that I speak of are the indigenous people of Arizona and New Mexico. Mrs. OSJ be one, and thus by marriage, so  am I. Thus, you have the odd spectacle of an Irishman, whose native cuisine treats salt as an exotic spice making their own curries... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2017 at 0:52 AM, Eivion said:

Ah you meant the people. Read that completely the wrong way.

Yeah, you don't tend to think of them as being burners, what with the traditional dishes like pesole, lamb stew, fried potatoes, fry bread and what have you being pretty bland, but don't be fooled, as a people they can keep up with any culture when it comes to the fire eating. Munching raw habaneros or jalapenos is quite commonplace* and the only acceptable answer to the standard New Mexico question of "Red or green?" is "Both, please."

*My younger brother-in-law does this shit all the time. Raw jalapenos I can do, habaneros is just insanity, but Alan will sit there watching RAW chomping on them like they were potato chips.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Hey guys, I've started a food blog.  It is a work in progress, but I hope it gets a little better every day.  If you're interested stop by.  If you aren't interested, stop by any damn way, you jerk.  It is called, ontheeatenpath.com

You have reminded me to hit up the on-line Asian grocery on Wednesday when I get a check... Need some mixed pickles, nam pla, and some curry fixins stat. We have lots of Indian restaurants in Gallup, but no Eastern Indian restaurants if you catch my drift. A good debate could be had as to the merits of fry bread vs. nan, but as far as everything else goes, the East wins hands down. I know Gallup's a small town, but we only have one decent Chinese place and unfortunately, all they do is Cantonese (and a fairly limited range at that). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OSJ said:

You have reminded me to hit up the on-line Asian grocery on Wednesday when I get a check... Need some mixed pickles, nam pla, and some curry fixins stat. We have lots of Indian restaurants in Gallup, but no Eastern Indian restaurants if you catch my drift. A good debate could be had as to the merits of fry bread vs. nan, but as far as everything else goes, the East wins hands down. I know Gallup's a small town, but we only have one decent Chinese place and unfortunately, all they do is Cantonese (and a fairly limited range at that). 

I think you'll enjoy the next couple of posts if you want good Indian food. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, supremebve said:

I think you'll enjoy the next couple of posts if you want good Indian food. 

What, you going to Fed-ex me some? I'm cool with that, saves me the trouble of making it myself.