DVDVR Message Board

Hair Metal

Tabe

16 hours ago, Tabe said:

If you're into the 1980s, you're missing out if you haven't checked out the following bands:

Perfect Plan

One Desire

Wildness

Revolution Saints

Code Red

Rev Saints are REALLY fun.  I like One Desire quite a bit, not familiar with the others but must check them out.

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Rev Saints are REALLY fun.  I like One Desire quite a bit, not familiar with the others but must check them out.

I think One Desire's album would have been a #1, or very close to it, had it come out in the 1980s.  It's probably my favorite album of 2017, even ahead of Eclipse's.

If you like Revolution Saints, you might be interested to know that Deen Castronovo from RS has a new album coming out this Friday with Johnny Gioeli.  He & Johnny were in Hardline together 30 years ago, releasing that group's incredible debut album.  Am a huge fan of Hardline and both Deen and Johnny individually, so can't wait to see how this one turns out.

On 7/11/2018 at 3:13 AM, Tabe said:

If you like Revolution Saints, you might be interested to know that Deen Castronovo from RS has a new album coming out this Friday with Johnny Gioeli.  He & Johnny were in Hardline together 30 years ago, releasing that group's incredible debut album.  Am a huge fan of Hardline and both Deen and Johnny individually, so can't wait to see how this one turns out.

I'm listening to this now and it's pretty great. The Lady Antebellum cover reinforces the idea that 21st century pop country is just 80s pop metal with different guitar style.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bartended one of those Hair Nation tours tonight. Enuff Z'Nuff, Bulletboys, and Jack Russell's Great White. 

WOOF. 

Not that I expected it to be good. I expected to be a little embarrassing, honestly, but at least entertaining on the people watching front. 

However, Chip Z'Nuff was a close talking, overly touchy, creepy punisher, dressed up like a no-budget Jervis Tetch. 

Jack Russell looks really, really bad. Considering how bad off he was, I guess it's good that he's walking on his own power and actually pulled the whole show off, but damn. So rough. His band looks like he found them all at various Guitar Centers. 

The soundguy brought the goods between bands, though. And I made decent money for an easy night. 

5 hours ago, southofheavy said:

Bartended one of those Hair Nation tours tonight. Enuff Z'Nuff, Bulletboys, and Jack Russell's Great White. 

WOOF. 

Not that I expected it to be good. I expected to be a little embarrassing, honestly, but at least entertaining on the people watching front. 

However, Chip Z'Nuff was a close talking, overly touchy, creepy punisher, dressed up like a no-budget Jervis Tetch. 

Jack Russell looks really, really bad. Considering how bad off he was, I guess it's good that he's walking on his own power and actually pulled the whole show off, but damn. So rough. His band looks like he found them all at various Guitar Centers. 

The soundguy brought the goods between bands, though. And I made decent money for an easy night. 

How was the pyro?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 5:24 AM, southofheavy said:

WOOF. 

Chip Z'nuff is probably still telling everyone with a set of ears about how he once banged Madonna. A story that changes ever so slightly from year to year.  Feel sorry for Enuff Z'nuff.  They had a lot of big name people pumping them up back in the late 80's early 90's.  Then a few years ago Chip was selling the rights to his songs online.  You could have had the riches that owning the publishing to the song New Thing brings for $200.  These Hair Nation nights are such a drag.  Geoff Tate the former singer of Queensrhyche was playing a local club last year.  His band had like 5 members plus him in it.  They all probably couldn't fit on stage together and really are these guys making 5 bucks a night?

• 1 month later...

Wow, it's crazy to think about the big Poison summer shows I saw three years straight around 2000. That seems like just yesterday. So many great shows - Poison, Warrant, Dokken, Cinderella, Slaughter. Plus, at other shows I caught the Crue a few times, Firehouse, Sebastian Bach, RATT. It was glorious. 

But now I realize that's 20 years ago that I saw Motley Crue at Bronco Bowl. Tommy had just gotten out of jail. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gioeli/Castronovo was definitely my hair/cheese metal album of 2018.  (Gioeli's solo album wasn't too bad but the collaboration blew its doors off).  Honorable mentions to Issa's "Run With the Pack",  W.E.T.'s "Earthrage" and Creye's self-titled debut.  I'm sure there is great shit out there I didn't hear because I largely rely on Spotify, and the algo largely feeds me stuff it thinks is similar to stuff I already sought out.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...