DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2017 - SPRING TRAINING~!

Dolfan in NYC

On 3/8/2017 at 2:24 PM, grilledcheese said:

After yesterday's appearance, Kershaw's Spring Training line is 6 IP, 5 K, 1 BB, 0 H allowed and has only thrown 39 pitches in games. I am constantly awed by how fucking good that dude is.

Only pitcher in history to lead the majors in ERA four straight years.  Not Sandy Koufax.  Not Lefty Grove.  Not Walter Johnson.  Not Christy Mathewson, Cy Young, Bob Gibson, Greg Maddux, Roger Clemens, Grover Cleveland Alexander, or anybody else.  

Clayton Kershaw.

He's 12th since the birth of the AL in ERA among starters with 1700 IP or more.

He's #1 - by nearly a half run - in the live ball era for all pitchers with 1700 IP (fun fact - only 15 starters with a sub-3.00 ERA in the live ball era!).

That's all a lot of words to basically say that Clayton Kershaw is the best pitcher any of us have ever seen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yup - because ERA is the only way to judge a pitcher

Obviously, it isn't, but there are lots of other factors to tip the scales in Clayton's favor. 4th all time in WHIP, minimum 1000 IP is the one that I like the best. If he puts up what has become his average season in 2017, he'll move past Mariano and Ed Walsh and have a career WHIP under 1.00 after 10 years in the Bigs. That's impressive as fuck.

I honestly don't know if he's the best pitcher I have ever seen, and I am obviously biased as fuck, but my Dad, who has lived through a whole lot more baseball than I have says that Kershaw is one of the all-time greats that he's ever seen, and I have heard that same sentiment from lots of other guys his age (70).

All I hope is that he continues to put up ridiculous numbers and LAD puts some motherfucking rings on his fingers. We can talk about whether or not he's better than Seaver or Maddux or Walter Johnson when he's thrown his last pitch. Until then, I'm going to enjoy watching him do his thing.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yup - because ERA is the only way to judge a pitcher

Name of the game is not giving up runs. Kershaw does that better than anybody ever has. 

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

YEAH, BUT WHAT ABOUT his uh....."obscure sabermetric stat that is nearly the same for all pitcher".

Sounds like we need arbitration!   These guys are good at that:

baseballjoke.jpg

• Like 10

Salvador Perez got Bette Midler'd by backup Drew Butera during the Italy/Venezuela WBC game. So...yeah.  

http://deadspin.com/salvador-perez-injured-in-wbc-home-plate-collision-1793192366 

3PAdre5.jpg

As mentioned in the comments, I'll reiterate; who catches a ball at home like that and who the hell slides into home like that? Either way, raw deal for Perez. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dallas was a pretty big part of the Phils organization. Got our first title, was a scout. I think he had a pretty traumatic death happen a few years ago (daughter?), but still helped with management during that ordeal. 

Won't be surprised to see the DG patch this year. 

2 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Dallas was a pretty big part of the Phils organization. Got our first title, was a scout. I think he had a pretty traumatic death happen a few years ago (daughter?), but still helped with management during that ordeal. 

Won't be surprised to see the DG patch this year. 

His granddaughter was killed in the same shooting as rep. gaby giffords in 2011.