DVDVR Message Board

YOUR ALL-NEW WRESTLING BOOK THREAD

OSJ

I recently signed up for another Kindle Unlimited trial, and while the glory days of great wrestling books being on that service is long gone, there are still some good ones.

I just finished Dusty Wolfe's book.

(Dusty Wolfe, for those who may not remember him, was a "journeyman" wrestler - jobber - for the WWF and WCW in the '80s and '90s, but he did a lot more than that and actually wrestled all around the world. You might remember him as "Dale" Wolfe if Dusty Rhodes happened to be there while he was.)

Hoo boy, while the book is badly in need of an editor and way too long and dry at points, it's actually a pretty interesting look at several eras of wrestling from a guy who's been everywhere, wrestled everyone, and seen everything. It also doubles as a travelogue of sorts. My favorite part are his little "ADD" observations at the end of each chapter. They're one or two sentence mic drop statements. There's one about Jerry Jarrett always having to bail Jerry Lawler out of jail because of The King's "preferences" when it comes to the opposite sex. Wow!

12 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Dynamite’s better than Bret’s? That’s a stretch, Eddie. 

Much better IMO. Even though Dynamite was a sociopath shithead, his stories were infinitely more entertaining than anything in Bret's overlong and overrated - but still great, don't get me wrong - book.

6 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Pure Dynamite is really good but shit man, somebody get Eddie Gary Hart's book

I wish we could all get Gary Hart's book, but it's been out of print for years and fetches ridiculous prices on the secondhand market.

What the hell exactly is preventing it from being republished?

On 2/26/2018 at 9:08 AM, RIPPA said:

I gave this a read. I guess it was fine. I actually do remember the build to the Nash/Morton match but I have no recollection of the other guy ever being slated to be Nash's partner.

I had put off the end of Liam's book for months now knowing it would be incredibly depressing. Boy, I wasn't wrong but closing with a focus on Junior and his sisters was a perfect way to finish. I don't think I'll be cheering for somebody's success in this ridiculous profession as much as I will for his. Also, the link back to the sideshow freaks was expertly done. Great read that's rightly been exalted as one of the best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Hokey smokes, I did not realize the Pillman book was on Kindle Unlimited until just now.

I had no idea either. I sincerely hope no one took my comment - "while the glory days of great wrestling books being on [Kindle Unlimited] is long gone, there are still some good ones" - to be about Liam's magnificent book, which I loved and reviewed on Amazon. I was referring to books like the ones written by Dusty Rhodes, Terry Funk, and Jim Duggan that used to be on KU but are no longer there.

I found Dynamite an interesting person. How he would do shitty things then pay for it and have an attitude of "well had it coming." Like the part where he divorced his wife right after she had pressured him to buy it. I think most people would be more angry. He was more "She is the mother of my kids and they need a home," and that was that. 

One thing I get from the Stampede guys was they were in favor of whatever drew money. Usually you see guys wanting to push a mirror image of themselves. But both Dynamite and Bret would support guys they did not even particularly like. Not that he disliked him, but hearing Bret say he liked Papa Shango was surprising. He thought it was a cool look that could have drew without the more over the top voodoo. 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2018 at 1:15 AM, Victator said:

I found Dynamite an interesting person. How he would do shitty things then pay for it and have an attitude of "well had it coming." Like the part where he divorced his wife right after she had pressured him to buy it. I think most people would be more angry. He was more "She is the mother of my kids and they need a home," and that was that. 

One thing I get from the Stampede guys was they were in favor of whatever drew money. Usually you see guys wanting to push a mirror image of themselves. But both Dynamite and Bret would support guys they did not even particularly like. Not that he disliked him, but hearing Bret say he liked Papa Shango was surprising. He thought it was a cool look that could have drew without the more over the top voodoo. 

It's interesting you say that about Dynamite b/c I thought the exact same thing about him. At times it seemed like there was a decent person who would've been fun to hang around simmering underneath his bitter, hateful exterior. I can see why a lot of the boys liked him b/c I can see his pranks and stuff breaking up the monotony of those super long loops the WWF used to do. But then a lot of his stuff had a hateful edge to it that took things he was doing out of the realm of harmless rib to fucking with someone's career and life.

Also the part when Brutus had disrespected his trainer. He had this aspect where he would be very protective of people. Then he would be a psycho over nothing and he would own it all. No rationalizing. 

The book ended with me wanting to know more. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Victator said:

Also the part when Brutus had disrespected his trainer. He had this aspect where he would be very protective of people. Then he would be a psycho over nothing and he would own it all. No rationalizing. 

The book ended with me wanting to know more. 

I was trying to think of a good example but hadn't read the book in a while but that's a perfect one. Being protective of your old mentor and being miffed that someone disrespected him is totally something a decent, normal person would do. Even confronting the person who disrespected the guy. But planning to beat the living fuck out of the other guy over it in a scripted cage match is a whole different ball of wax.

• Like 2

And Dynamite certainly could've tried to blame his upbringing for some of it. Sounded like he had kind of a miserable childhood. But like you said, he didn't blame it on anything. Every now and then he'd hint at the drugs he was taking but otherwise put all of the blame on himself. 

All done with the Pillman book. Fantastic read. In the list of wrestling "what if" stories, we have to add "what if Pillman didn't buy that Hummer at the Arnold Classic?" because that is some serious "for want of a nail" shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dynamite pulled a shotgun on his wife and kids. The man is a sociopath at best, no matter how drunk and how many drugs he was on. At least he apparently owned up to being one?

Also, did he ever mention that situation in his book?

I had the impression that happened later. Because it never came up. He was clearly a psychopath, we were saying he was an interesting person. Not that I want him to open a day care. 

Though you know I just realized I don't know where the shotgun story originated. I know it was said his wife said it. I swear I remember reading something about it in the Enquirer. 

He admitted to it on that CNN special. I think it was in the book, I can’t remember, haven’t read it in a while. I think that was the breaking point for Michelle buying him a one-way ticket back to England. 

*edit

Dynamite looks like a homeless Colin Newman from Wire here. He looks worse now. Is he still fucked from that stroke? 

Speaking of, is his daughter still managing/wrestling? I remember seeing something about her a little while back. 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

I had the impression that happened later. Because it never came up. He was clearly a psychopath, we were saying he was an interesting person. Not that I want him to open a day care. 

Though you know I just realized I don't know where the shotgun story originated. I know it was said his wife said it. I swear I remember reading something about it in the Enquirer. 

In his book, Bret talked about an incident where Dynamite's wife and kids left him and fled to Bret and Julie's house. Dynamite kept calling Bret's house threatening to come over with a shotgun and bottle of vodka to blow them all away. Bret was on the road for the first part of it but got home while Dyno's family was still there. He said Dynamite did end up coming over but he didn't do anything. Dynamite's wife left him for good after that and he ended up moving back to England.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dynamite pulled a shotgun on his wife and kids. The man is a sociopath at best, no matter how drunk and how many drugs he was on. At least he apparently owned up to being one?

Also, did he ever mention that situation in his book?

As Victator was saying, nobody was saying dude was a nice guy. Not even close. Just that his story and personality are interesting.

• Like 2