DVDVR Message Board

YOUR ALL-NEW WRESTLING BOOK THREAD

OSJ

8 hours ago, Victator said:

Honestly I think video shoot interviews are a dead end. I enjoy long form interviews, but I think doing it as an Itunes deal would be easier and cheaper. Rather than prodding guys to call women whores and letting idiots ask about guys dick sizes. 

I feel doing it on video is useless without archival footage. 

Yeah I've no idea why they wouldn't do that. Reminds me of the glory days on here when some kind soul was ripping shoot interviews to MP3 and sharing links.

• Like 1

I'm to the point where Pillman's entered WCW in Crazy Like A Fox and yep, it's great. Hearing that Pillman actually picked a fight with fucking Wahoo McDaniel was hilarious, as was finding out the reason Flair had such a drinking rep (before he had an honest one) was tossing bartenders money to make virgins for him. The Calgary stuff though, yeesh. I mean I was prepared from reading the Calgary book but the rib with the black wrestler is awful, even if he agreed to it. 

• Like 2

Completely forgot the squeegee thing with Sid was against Pillman. What happened after is even funnier and I'm shocked Foley left him coming at Sting with a squeegee after in a match out of his first book. Well, not really, considering the brain damage and all

• Like 1

Just used my birthday (it’s today, give me some attention) gift card from Amazon to buy the book, Liam. Looking forward to reading it Friday when it arrives. Like Bret’s and Jericho’s first book, I’ll probably finish it in one day. 

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I could have too, but I've been reading it at work to stretch it out a bit (especially after devouring the Wire book in one day and feeling like it deserved more attention)

Wire, as in the band?

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Just used my birthday (it’s today, give me some attention) gift card from Amazon to buy the book, Liam. Looking forward to reading it Friday when it arrives. Like Bret’s and Jericho’s first book, I’ll probably finish it in one day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Finished it. 

That's the best wrestling book I've ever read, and that's probably ever been written. 

I think the only ones that I've read (and I haven't read Pure Dynamite or Hooker) that are comparable are Funk's and the first of Foley's, which are autobiographies and thus prone to embellishment or error, and the Stampede book. And maybe the ECW book just for all the dirt. But this... THIS... is tremendous. Extremely well written, thoughtful, impossibly detailed and vetted. Liam, congratulations. 

Spoilers, don't read if you haven't

Spoiler

There are three specific moments at the end that just stopped me in my tracks: 

1. The COD. 

2. Brian Jr., before the last chapter, just busting on his mom out of nowhere, officially confirming she is a complete piece of shit. 

3. Mike Johnson's quote that "Brian helped set the table, but he never got to enjoy the meal."

And yeah, I'll be honest, I brought it home to finish because I didn't want anyone want to see me crying in the break room over a damn book

EDIT: Lot of edits, it's late and the usual beverages have been partaken of

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:38 PM, Michael Sweetser said:

"Well deserved" isn't a strong enough term for it.  Congrats, Liam!

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

Congratulations, Liam!  I'm reading about his Stampede stuff but so far it's been an amazing read.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:38 PM, Michael Sweetser said:

"Well deserved" isn't a strong enough term for it.  Congrats, Liam!

Thanks so much everybody, the support on here has been awesome and I appreciate it a great deal. Still so surreal.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:07 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Finished it. 

That's the best wrestling book I've ever read, and that's probably ever been written. 

I think the only ones that I've read (and I haven't read Pure Dynamite or Hooker) that are comparable are Funk's and the first of Foley's, which are autobiographies and thus prone to embellishment or error, and the Stampede book. And maybe the ECW book just for all the dirt. But this... THIS... is tremendous. Extremely well written, thoughtful, impossibly detailed and vetted. Liam, congratulations. 

That's a hell of a compliment, I love that you enjoyed the book so much, thank you for the kind words! And yeah, I love that Mike Johnson quote too, really put a fine point on the situation, tragic as it is.

• Like 2

I just finished it last week and thought it was tremendous (tm Don Callis). I usually steer clear of most non-autobiography wrestling books b/c they just rehash most of the same stuff you can read anywhere else or have heard before but this was really well researched. Tons of stuff I didn't know about. The story about Foley and Sting riffing on the squeegee incident was hilarious.

Even though I haven't read Dynamite's, I'd take a bet on the Stampede book being better than both. And I read Bret's a couple times.

Something from the end of Liam's book that I just remembered that is incredibly nuts: 

Spoiler

Vince trying to pick a fight with Kim Wood because he talked to Meltzer... AT A PRIVATE SHOWING OF THE BODY. If there already hasn't been incontrovertible evidence the man is insane, that's it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Dynamite’s better than Bret’s? That’s a stretch, Eddie. 

Despite being the shitbag Tom Billington is, I am a big Dynamite fan, and of course, the monster he influenced. Of course, Bret is also up there on my list of favorites. It was Bret's excellence of execution, and Gorilla Monsoon always pointing it out, that made me the type of fan I am.

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It was Bret's excellence of execution, and Gorilla Monsoon always pointing it out

It's amazing how many years it took me to get the pun/double meaning Gorilla was making. 

• Like 3