DVDVR Message Board

YOUR ALL-NEW WRESTLING BOOK THREAD

OSJ

17 hours ago, C.S. said:

Both of the posts below are interesting to me because it indicates that you guys actually care about the non-wrestlers in the book. I don't. They're a means to an end, to me, to get to the fun wrestling stuff.

That didn't bother me because I went into the book knowing nothing about the author or Marvin, so I didn't exactly care about them specifically. I was more interested in the stories about the wrestlers themselves, the process of booking a show, the hurdles they faced, etc.

I suppose if you went into this as a fan of Sean Oliver's, I could see why his abrasive in-your-face personality would bother you - but I'm reading it for the fun wrestling stories, not because of who the author is. Like I said, my exposure to Kayfabe Commentaries is limited to random YouTube clips - I've never bought a single video. (I'm surprised they aren't streaming anywhere though...or are they? I'd be interested in that, potentially.)

they are  i can pm you

On 2/27/2018 at 6:22 PM, Michael Sweetser said:

It's not even his personality, it's just how try-hard he comes across as.   The stories weren't that interesting to me, and not nearly enough of them to counterbalance the rest of it.   

I've actually purchased a few of the KC videos in the past, but stopped because I just couldn't stand him.  He's the shoot interview version of Matt Striker.

(And when I found Matt Striker's doing shoot interview questioning now, I pretty much swore off the whole genre.)

Striker is not bad as an interviewer, he knows it is not about him and shuts up. He doesn't pressure guys to call women whores and the other shit Sean Oliver does. 

You put him and Feinstein in a line up and I would have to think before choosing who is worse. 

14 hours ago, Victator said:

You put him and Feinstein in a line up and I would have to think before choosing who is worse. 

Feinstein was caught trying to meet up and fuck an underage boy. I’m pretty sure that’s an easy decision. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

Feinstein was caught trying to meet up and fuck an underage boy. I’m pretty sure that’s an easy decision. 

There's no Seinfeld scene to go along with that one.

However, Gordon Jump played the bicycle shop owner, Mr. Horton, who tries to molest Arnold and his friend Dudley on a very special two-part Diff'rent Strokes. Jump would play George's boss, Mr. Tomasulo, on two season 9 episodes of Seinfeld. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Victator said:

Striker is not bad as an interviewer, he knows it is not about him and shuts up. He doesn't pressure guys to call women whores and the other shit Sean Oliver does. 

I just cannot stand Matt Striker.  I find him insufferable.   I got a recent comp with Cornette sight unseen and when I played it, the first voice I heard was Striker's. I returned it immediately for a refund.

Guys, guys, guys! Sean Oliver clearly > Rob Feinstein > Gordon Jump. :D

Seriously though, what's the issue with Stryker? Commentary aside, Victator mentioned that "he seems like a bad person." What's the story there?

On 2/27/2018 at 7:22 PM, Michael Sweetser said:

It's not even his personality, it's just how try-hard he comes across as.   The stories weren't that interesting to me, and not nearly enough of them to counterbalance the rest of it.  

It's a catch-22, because his writing style makes the book much more engaging than it has any right to be, but I do agree that he does tend to become a bit overbearing as it progresses. I can see why opinions and tolerance levels would differ on this though. Stuff like the "Kayfabe Commandos" - what he claims his fans refer to themselves as - was too much for me. I have a very hard time believing a grown man or woman would ever call themselves such unironically.

I've only seen a few KC clips on YouTube, and he seemed half-asleep and/or stoned in some of them - but the delayed late-night filming he mentioned in the book might be the reason for some of that. Either way, he has to be miles ahead of his disgusting "competition."

I know nothing about the guy in real-life, but the narrative in his book about a plucky businessman who broke into the carny world of wrestling with no experience or contacts is pretty interesting one to me.  Whether it's more wrestling bullshit, I couldn't say, but it worked for me as his central "storyline."

11 hours ago, C.S. said:

Commentary aside, Victator mentioned that "he seems like a bad person." What's the story there?

Super homophobic, praised Prop 8 on an episode of ECW. 

11 hours ago, C.S. said:

I know nothing about the guy in real-life, but the narrative in his book about a plucky businessman who broke into the carny world of wrestling with no experience or contacts is pretty interesting one to me.  Whether it's more wrestling bullshit, I couldn't say, but it worked for me as his central "storyline."

He gives wrestlers money to talk on camera. Any of us could do that. 

On 3/6/2018 at 5:49 AM, Victator said:

Super homophobic, praised Prop 8 on an episode of ECW.

What did he say exactly? All I can find is this from PWTorch.com:

"Matt Striker brought up that JoMizzy were in distress due to Prop 8 in California, which would ban gay marriages."

On 3/6/2018 at 5:49 AM, Victator said:

He gives wrestlers money to talk on camera. Any of us could do that. 

True, but from the way he describes it, he actually has professional lighting, sets, scripts, etc. and comes up with different ideas and concepts. That sounds a lot better than RF and others, which are amateur hour.

Forgive if I can't remember the exact wording. But the week after Obama was elected and Prop 8 was passed, Striker said "I would like to congratulate the people of California for making at least one good decision this week."

10 hours ago, C.S. said:

True, but from the way he describes it, he actually has professional lighting, sets, scripts, etc. and comes up with different ideas and concepts. That sounds a lot better than RF and others, which are amateur hour.

Honestly I think video shoot interviews are a dead end. I enjoy long form interviews, but I think doing it as an Itunes deal would be easier and cheaper. Rather than prodding guys to call women whores and letting idiots ask about guys dick sizes. 

I feel doing it on video is useless without archival footage.