DVDVR Message Board

YOUR ALL-NEW WRESTLING BOOK THREAD

OSJ

8 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

As an aside, as I'd been asked about it a lot - the Pillman book is now also available on Kindle, for those who were holding out for that release.

As soon as I saw this I immediately got it for Kindle.  Thank you very much, can't wait to dive into it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

As soon as I saw this I immediately got it for Kindle.  Thank you very much, can't wait to dive into it.

Same.(Don't) Shut up and Take My Money.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, Liam O'Rourke said:

As an aside, as I'd been asked about it a lot - the Pillman book is now also available on Kindle, for those who were holding out for that release.

I really appreciate that you did the Matchbook thing. Thank you!

For anyone who doesn't know what that is: if you bought the paperback from Amazon, you can get the Kindle version at a much lower price - in this case $1.99.

The Nakamura biography would be very interesting how well that translation would do in the US, if only because they're saying that it's just translating his two biographies in Japan (taking it to 2014)...and in the process, meaning it won't cover his NXT/WWE run (which is what the majority of American fans would care about.) 

• 2 weeks later...

Today's Observer update says a book is in the works called "The Worst Wrestling PPV Ever" a behind the scenes look of the infamous Heroes of Wrestling PPV debacle. Admit it, you guys can't wait to read this.

The Box Brown Andy Kaufman book is pretty good. If you liked his Andre book, you should like this too. I don’t know how many of the details will be unknown to anyone here, but it touches on his wrestling stuff, plus his Elvis obsession, the SNL years, a bunch of the Taxi stuff and more. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 6:56 PM, odessasteps said:

The Box Brown Andy Kaufman book is pretty good. If you liked his Andre book, you should like this too. I don’t know how many of the details will be unknown to anyone here, but it touches on his wrestling stuff, plus his Elvis obsession, the SNL years, a bunch of the Taxi stuff and more. 

Here's a review of that. The reviewer doesn't seem to like how wrestling-focused the book is, which means we'll probably like it even more. 

http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/grindhouse-comics-column-guy-real-unbelievable-andy-kaufman/

On 2/19/2018 at 4:40 PM, sabremike said:

Today's Observer update says a book is in the works called "The Worst Wrestling PPV Ever" a behind the scenes look of the infamous Heroes of Wrestling PPV debacle. Admit it, you guys can't wait to read this.

Oh fuck yes.  If done properly, this will be amazing.

On 2/19/2018 at 7:40 PM, sabremike said:

It's about the Night of Legends not Heroes of Wrestling - totally different show

Chris Graham announced the writing of a book called "The Worst Wrestling Pay-Per-View Ever" the inside story of the 2011 Night of Legends show. I do remember that show was horrible. Graham was part of the creative team for the show, headlined by Kevin Nash vs. Ricky Morton. Graham is also the author of six previous non-wrestling books and a college baseball and college football announcer. He's also the editor at AugustaFreePress.com, and doesn't truly believe that show was the worst pay-per-view ever.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It's about the Night of Legends not Heroes of Wrestling - totally different show

Fuck, now I'm sad. Stupid stupid me and my shitty memory and reading incomprehension.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Since Phil didn't mention it - the book is free to read as well.

Save for some brain cells. Could not even finish. 

Self involved wannabe WWE writer bullshit. 

Like seeking the advice of a neckbeard only to get it from a guy who’s basically a neckbeard who just can’t grow one. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zartan said:

Save for some brain cells. Could not even finish. 

Self involved wannabe WWE writer bullshit. 

Like seeking the advice of a neckbeard only to get it from a guy who’s basically a neckbeard who just can’t grow one. 

I was really hoping it was about Heroes of Wrestling, a show that's comedically bad.  Instead it was about Night of Legends which was just dull and bad.  Certainly not an infamous show like he claimed it was or the worst show of all time.  Why he felt a need to write about it I have no idea, but I'm glad I didn't spend a dime on reading this.

But you know what is worth reading?  Liam's book on Brian Pillman.  I just started on it and I can already tell this is going to be one helluva read.

I have no recollection of the Nights of Legends ppv. I guess that's a good thing. A book about Heroes of Wrestling would be an entertaining read.

...and yeah, the Pillman book is definitely worth reading. It's pretty damn close to Pure Dynamite, IMO.

On 12/4/2017 at 10:50 PM, paintedbynumbers said:

Anyone read the new Kayfabe book from Sean Oliver?  Ordered this and the Pillman book today. Look forward to both!

I'm reading this now. His humor can be very crude and shocking, but he has an undeniable lowbrow wit about him that's perfect for the carny world of rasslin'.

One example: Early on, he mentions wrestlers using wrestling terms for real life - for example, "kicking out" of a bad situation. He follows that up several chapters later by talking about the Verne Gagne nursing home incident. Gagne, who was in the late stages of Alzheimer's and/or dementia, attacked and ended up killing another patient. That patient was a Holocaust survivor. Oliver's quip was something like: "He kicked out of the Holocaust but couldn't survive Verne Gagne." Wow. :o But as jaw-dropping as that line is, it speaks for how well the book is written and constructed that he wrote something early in the book and gave us the unexpected punchline/payoff several chapters later.

This is a great read even if your only exposure to Kayfabe Commentaries - like mine - has been clips on YouTube.

BTW, if you're an Amazon Prime member, this book is now available to borrow for free - even without a Kindle Unlimited subscription. That definitely wasn't the case a month or two ago, where it was only (and still is) available through KU. The Kindle Lending Library for Prime members is more limited - only one book a month, a smaller selection, and you have to borrow it through the device.

On 2/19/2018 at 7:40 PM, sabremike said:

On 2/26/2018 at 9:08 AM, RIPPA said:

I read this the other day. It's short but fun. I'm definitely NOT complaining about something that's free, but I have no idea why he presented it as separate links on a website instead of linking to ebook files in various formats. It was easy enough for me to cobble everything together in one file with Calibre and then send it to my Kindle, which is how I read it. 

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

I read this the other day. It's short but fun. I'm definitely NOT complaining about something that's free, but I have no idea why he presented it as separate links on a website instead of linking to ebook files in various formats. It was easy enough for me to cobble everything together in one file with Calibre and then send it to my Kindle, which is how I read it. 

I didn't mind clicking on the links for each chapter.  But what turned me off from it is he right away believed he was right and poor Marvin just couldn't handle certain things for various reasons.  As soon as I picked up on that I should have just stopped reading as it was hard to take him seriously.  As for not complaining because it was free, it was a waste of my time so I can take umbrage at this to a degree.  That and it dragged longer as I was reading this in between calls.

Both of the posts below are interesting to me because it indicates that you guys actually care about the non-wrestlers in the book. I don't. They're a means to an end, to me, to get to the fun wrestling stuff.

14 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But what turned me off from it is he right away believed he was right and poor Marvin just couldn't handle certain things for various reasons.  As soon as I picked up on that I should have just stopped reading as it was hard to take him seriously.  

That didn't bother me because I went into the book knowing nothing about the author or Marvin, so I didn't exactly care about them specifically. I was more interested in the stories about the wrestlers themselves, the process of booking a show, the hurdles they faced, etc.

10 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I read both books - Sean Oliver is a self-important twat even in pro wrestling and I feel dumber for having read it.  The "worst PPV ever" book was a similar waste of time.

I suppose if you went into this as a fan of Sean Oliver's, I could see why his abrasive in-your-face personality would bother you - but I'm reading it for the fun wrestling stories, not because of who the author is. Like I said, my exposure to Kayfabe Commentaries is limited to random YouTube clips - I've never bought a single video. (I'm surprised they aren't streaming anywhere though...or are they? I'd be interested in that, potentially.)

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

I suppose if you went into this as a fan of Sean Oliver's, I could see why his abrasive in-your-face personality would bother you - but I'm reading it for the fun wrestling stories, not because of who the author is. Like I said, my exposure to Kayfabe Commentaries is limited to random YouTube clips - I've never bought a single video. (I'm surprised they aren't streaming anywhere though...or are they? I'd be interested in that, potentially.)

It's not even his personality, it's just how try-hard he comes across as.   The stories weren't that interesting to me, and not nearly enough of them to counterbalance the rest of it.   

I've actually purchased a few of the KC videos in the past, but stopped because I just couldn't stand him.  He's the shoot interview version of Matt Striker.

(And when I found Matt Striker's doing shoot interview questioning now, I pretty much swore off the whole genre.)

• Like 1

He gave us "How big is Batista's dick?" though (well, a guy from F4W asked it but still!). Sheik's response is the best.

I really enjoy some of the KC videos, particularly the Cornette and Nash ones, but I would never in a million years read Sean Oliver's book.