DVDVR Message Board

YOUR ALL-NEW WRESTLING BOOK THREAD

OSJ

Without wanting to turn this into a shilling thread, I might as well add that I've got a sequence of books out that review territorial television episodes from 1984 - WWF, CWA, Mid-South, GCW, CWF, AWA and more get a look in. I've mentioned them before in the media section, but this is just in case people have missed them. They are all available on Kindle and Kindle Unlimited. Volume 4 (the last one) is due out at the end of the year.

517dJjGCb9L._SY346_.jpg51WAOVqFWsL._SY346_.jpg514ZbcuGnvL._SY346_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracking-Territories-3-Book/dp/B07DJCJR3F/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529770554&sr=8-4&keywords=tracking+the+territories

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DJCJR3F/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

Cheers!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So do we want to talk about this week's 83 Weeks podcast?

Bischoff spends the entire show crapping all over the Brian Pillman book, saying none of it is correct. I'd be interested to hear the reaction to it from here. I'll hold my actual podcast thoughts to the podcast thread.

I am reading WCW Nitro book that just came out and it seems very interesting, lots of details on things that we don't hear a lot about.

53 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I haven’t heard it, and won’t. Bischoff is a fucking moron who lucked into earning millions. That’s all I have on that. 

Is that Nitro book the Pruitt one?

Yes, that's the one

10 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I haven’t heard it, and won’t. Bischoff is a fucking moron who lucked into earning millions. That’s all I have on that. 

I think we all at least one good idea or concept but have no means of executing it without a guardian angel. Bischoff met his Verne Gagne and exploited that very well. 

I think he could do a lot of good with a filter. 

12 hours ago, dokdoyle said:

I am reading WCW Nitro book that just came out and it seems very interesting, lots of details on things that we don't hear a lot about.

12 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Where is this book available? I can't find it on Amazon.

Google leads me to https://wcwnitrobook.com/ but I have no idea if that's the right book. The ebook price is way out of whack, and only in non-Kindle ePub format (I can convert it with Calibre, but the conversion is never perfect). Plus, the site doesn't exactly look professional or like something I'd feel confident giving my payment information to. Edit: I just noticed a PayPal option, so at least there's that.

I have no idea why you wouldn't launch a book on Amazon in this day and age. Hopefully it eventually shows up there, and at a reasonable price on Kindle. $18 for an ebook is madness. Still, part of me is kinda tempted to spring for the paperback. Please let us know your thoughts after you finish it, @dokdoyle.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 11:07 AM, dokdoyle said:

So do we want to talk about this week's 83 Weeks podcast?

Bischoff spends the entire show crapping all over the Brian Pillman book, saying none of it is correct. I'd be interested to hear the reaction to it from here. I'll hold my actual podcast thoughts to the podcast thread.

I read the book and thought it was really interesting. I just started EB's podcast and he really is going in on the book. As far as I could tell, Pruitt did a ton of research and interviews for the book. I mean, he was interviewing Pillman's family, high school/college teammates, etc. It wasn't like he was pulling stuff out of his ass or relying on stooges trying to make themselves look better.

Bischoff's just being contrary for attention. He now also claims that he never offered Bret a contract in 1996. This is despite the fact that he's been saying the opposite for years. This is despite the fact that Meltzer's SEEN the contract. 

On 7/9/2018 at 7:41 PM, Victator said:

I think we all at least one good idea or concept but have no means of executing it without a guardian angel. Bischoff met his Verne Gagne and exploited that very well. 

I think he could do a lot of good with a filter. 

Verne always said Eric made a damn fine pot of coffee. 

• Like 2

I think there might be some confusion.

Eric took the Brian Pillman book "Crazy like a Fox" to task for the 2 hours of the show, crapping all over it.

The Pruitt Book is "Nitro", and so far it's been good, better when he goes deeper in to the business side instead of the on-screen stories we have heard dozens of times.

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

I thought the @Liam O'Rourke book was fantastic. What was Bischoff's problem with it?

The story makes Bischoff look like a total rube who Pillman completely worked (which, of course, just happens to be 100% true).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bischoff really believes that working someone (the public, another worker, the boys, the person making his coffee, his lawyer) makes him smart even when the target sees through the work. The man is not unintelligent, but overexposure to Hogan has flummoxed his perceptions. Every time he (EB) does something that makes me realize he is aware of his position in the Business and the workings thereof, he follows it up with a ham-fisted condescending falsehood that you know if he was questioned on it , his explanation would involved the word "work" five or six times in the middle and end in "brother". Even when he admits that his actions took down WCW he doesn't really get it. The less ATM Eric there is in today's mediasphere, the happier I am. Ugh, the word "jabroni" was made for him...

- RAF

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dokdoyle said:

I think there might be some confusion.

Eric took the Brian Pillman book "Crazy like a Fox" to task for the 2 hours of the show, crapping all over it.

The Pruitt Book is "Nitro", and so far it's been good, better when he goes deeper in to the business side instead of the on-screen stories we have heard dozens of times.

Thanks for clearing that up. The "Crazy Like a Fox" book is the one I'm referring to.

Chiming in with a recommendation for Teeny: Professional Wrestling's Grand Dame. I was in the mood to read it after listing to the first few episodes of the Jerry Jarrett podcast.

It's an absolutely riveting read and a must for any wrestling fan, historian, etc.

You can borrow it for free with Kindle Unlimited or get the Kindle book for $4 otherwise. The paperback is around $15. However you choose to read it, it's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Cross Rhodes: Goldust, Out of the Darkness just dropped to 99 cents on Kindle. 

Just be aware that it's more about Dustin's drug issues and daddy issues and less about his wrestling career, so don't expect any deep insight on his great matches and angles. 

I may re-buy it on Kindle anyway - not sure yet.

I haven't checked to see if any other WWE books have dropped in price. I'll update the thread if there's anything else.

Edit: More below...

Full list of price drops on WWE books:

99 cents

- Andre the Giant: A Legendary Life

- Showdowns: The 20 Greatest Wrestling Rivalries of the Last Twenty Years

- Batista Unleashed

- Cross Rhodes: Goldust, Out of the Darkness

- Diary of a Heartbreak Kid: Shawn Michaels' Journey into the WWE Hall of Fame

- My Favorite Match: WWE Superstars Tell the Stories of Their Most Memorable Matches

- The World Wrestling Entertainment Yearbook 2003 Edition

- Wrestling for My Life: The Legend, the Reality, and the Faith of a WWE Superstar

- WWE Legends - Superstar Billy Graham: Tangled Ropes

$1.99

- Adam Copeland On Edge

- Hollywood Hulk Hogan

- Triple H Making the Game: Triple H's Approach to a Better Body

It's been years since I've read Superstar Billy Graham: Tangled Ropes, but I remember liking it. That's probably the one sure buy for me. (Edit: I bought it.)

Wrestling for My Life, the HBK religious/wrestling book, is surprisingly good. I actually liked it more than his first book. No idea how Diary of a Heartbreak Kid is though.

I remember My Favorite Match being a fun read.

Adam Copeland On Edge was written too early in his career, but it's good for what it is. This is where the JBL shower story comes from. If you look up the term "wrestling bubble," this would be it - with Edge describing the experience as some kind of rite of passage and honor, or at least that's how it came across to me.

A couple of new Kindle deals:

Free (wrestling novels)

- The Condemned
- Buddy Cooper Finds a Way: A Novel
- The Secret Life of Dr. Demented

99 cents

- Ted DiBiase
- Rey Mysterio: Behind the Mask

I remember the Mysterio book being surprisingly great.