YOUR ALL-NEW WRESTLING BOOK THREAD

OSJ

3 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

My favorite part is when the guy yells KILL YOURSELF in the audience

I actually know the guy who did it. 

• Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 1:43 PM, Tromatagon said:

My favorite part is when the guy yells KILL YOURSELF in the audience

I think that's everybody's favorite part.

The book should have been titled Kill Yourself: The Brutus Beefcake Story.

Prior to that interview, Beefcake had last been on tv in 1992 during the Hogan/Sid feud, yet a year later he looks and feels like a relic from a completely different era.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Prior to that interview, Beefcake had last been onto tv in 1992 during the Hogan/Sid feud, yet a year later he looks and feels like a relic from a completely different era.

Oh god, is that around the time he smashed the Barbershop and ended up covered in talcum powder?

19 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

"talcum powder". . . .pretty brazen of Brutus to put his and Hogan's stash right in plain sight. . . .   :)

That was actually the stuff for the low card guys that had been cut to hell. Hogan got the pure stuff with huge white chunks in it.

• Haha 3

The Sid heel turn has always troubled me, especially how over he was as a face. Was it because he had been promised the Wrestlemania main event and they didn't know how else to make all the cogs work? Or they knew he'd failed a drugs test and would be gone anyway so why the hell not turn him heel?

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

The Sid heel turn has always troubled me, especially how over he was as a face. Was it because he had been promised the Wrestlemania main event and they didn't know how else to make all the cogs work? Or they knew he'd failed a drugs test and would be gone anyway so why the hell not turn him heel?

Sid wanted to be a heel and insisted on it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Korderas's book is now $5 on Kindle. Likely a temporary sale price, but it's been that price a few times before according to ereaderiq.com. That site's price-tracker alerted me, so I bought it this time.

The Wrestling Journeyman: Life and Times of an Indy Wrestler: From History MAKER to History Teacher by Dusty Wolfe is currently FREE on Kindle. This is a full-length book, not one of the weird 10-page articles he sells a bunch of on the Kindle store.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:51 AM, Victator said:

Is he a dickhead?

I'm not giving it away but it's someone who is currently a known figure in wrestling.

I've got another new release

twitter1.jpg

For six years, the stars of Britain’s ITV wrestling told their stories to Fighting Spirit Magazine’s John Lister. Now these in-depth biographies of more than 60 grapplers come together in the ultimate history of the ‘World of Sport’ era. From Adrian Street to William Regal, from Tiny Tom Thumb to Giant Haystacks, these are the true stories of amazing lives in and out of the ring.

400 pages, available worldwide on Kindle (free on Kindle Unlimited) and in print at Amazon with free postage. https://www.amazon.com/Have-Good-Week-Till-Next/dp/1983116246 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Have-Good-Week-Till-Next-ebook/dp/B07DSCLGTZ

Full list of contents:

Adrian Street

Albert Wall & Gwyn Davies

Big Daddy

Billy Robinson

Blackjack Mulligan

Blondie Barratt

Brian Dixon

Brian Maxine

British Bulldogs

Catweazle

Chic Cullen

Chris Adams

Colin Joynson

Danny Collins

Dave Taylor

Doc Dean

Drew McDonald

George Kidd

Giant Haystacks

Jackie Pallo

Jackie Turpin

Jim Breaks

John Cox

John Freemantle

John Kenny

John Naylor

Johnny Kidd

Johnny Kincaid

Johnny Saint

Kendo Nagasaki

Kid Chocolate

Klondyke Kate

Kung Fu

Len Ironside

Les Kellett

Mal Kirk

Mal Sanders

Mark Rocco

Marty Jones

Mel Stuart

Mick McManus

Mike Marino

Mitzi Mueller

Orig Williams

Pete Roberts

Ray Robinson

Ricky Knight

Robbie Brookside

Scrubber Daly

Sheamus Dunleavy

Steve Grey

Tom Thumb

Tony St Clair

Tony Walsh

William Regal

Cup Final Day

Holiday Camps

Pre-TV Era

Royal Albert Hall

Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland

The Calgary Connection

Wembley Arena

Joint Promotions

• Like 3

As mentioned on WC, ordering this posthaste. If I have any criticism at all prior to seeing the book, it's that I would have likely left out the Bulldogs and Regal (much as I love them) in order to include wrestlers that may not be as familiar to an international audience. For that matter, while I can't dispute their importance, I doubt that there's much new under the sun to be written about Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. Again, a couple of lesser-known chaps would have been welcome replacements.

Still, let me say that you managed to include several grapplers that I need to learn more about, and according to some, I sort of know this stuff pretty well. ;-)

A job very well done!

10 hours ago, OSJ said:

As mentioned on WC, ordering this posthaste. If I have any criticism at all prior to seeing the book, it's that I would have likely left out the Bulldogs and Regal (much as I love them) in order to include wrestlers that may not be as familiar to an international audience. For that matter, while I can't dispute their importance, I doubt that there's much new under the sun to be written about Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. Again, a couple of lesser-known chaps would have been welcome replacements.

Still, let me say that you managed to include several grapplers that I need to learn more about, and according to some, I sort of know this stuff pretty well. ;-)

A job very well done!

Just to clarify, these were all originally magazine articles. Once the series hit its stride, each piece would either be based on interviewing the person themselves or talking to people who worked with them. But there was always a balancing act between having interesting stories and having recognisable names, plus occasionally an interview would fall through and I'd have to scramble to do a bit more of a predictable/'name' piece. 

The Daddy one was the first we did in the series (and kind of had to be.) To be fair (and I acknowledge this in the book intro), it's really not in the same style and format (or indeed quality) as the rest. The Haystacks one is similar though I did talk to his son, so there's some interesting stuff there on the actual logistics of being such a huge guy.

The Bulldogs one is almost entirely about their time in the UK and has some fun stories. 

The Regal one has several new stories/insights, including almost three pages about the psychology of working the "challengers from the audience" gimmick in Blackpool.

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Tried downloading the book and they told me it's only available in the UK. 

Which site are you trying to get it on? The Amazon.com link is https://www.amazon.com/Have-Good-Week-Till-Next-ebook/dp/B07DSCLGTZ

Please do either PM me or drop me an email (john at johnlisterwriting dot com) if you're still having glitches and I'll try to sort you out.

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Are there pics in the British wrestler compendium? Always enjoyed reading these articles when I used to pick up FSM

No pics in the book I'm afraid -- between the cost of licensing them and the existing length of the book, it wasn't feasible. It's a bit of a shame as one of the joys of the magazine pieces was when the subject got their copy and saw Darren Ward (the wrestler/historian whose photo archive we used) had dug out some pics they'd never seen before.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Which site are you trying to get it on? The Amazon.com link is https://www.amazon.com/Have-Good-Week-Till-Next-ebook/dp/B07DSCLGTZ

Please do either PM me or drop me an email (john at johnlisterwriting dot com) if you're still having glitches and I'll try to sort you out.

All good-just tried it again and it worked perfectly. Cheers!

• Like 1