DVDVR Message Board

YOUR ALL-NEW WRESTLING BOOK THREAD

OSJ

The Pillman book is 318 pages.

On 02/12/2017 at 1:02 AM, OSJ said:

I usually skip most wrestling bios as they tend to be poorly written and unless I can score a copy off the remainder table, just not worth the price of admission*. I picked up the Pillman book as (a.) Pillman has to be one of the more interesting characters in a business filled with interesting characters and (b.) unlike most such tomes, it appeared that an incredible amount of research went in to its composition.

I was not the least bit disappointed, Liam did an excellent job and I'd have to say that it's an easy top-ten pick for me, right up there with Gary Hart's book, Foley's first one, Pure Dynamite, Dean Silverstone's chronicle of running an outlaw fed in Washington State, and Steve Yohe's Strangler Lewis bio...

Thank you very much, I really appreciate that.

Want to echo the Pillman bio being great since I am the one who brought it up in the first place and didn't circle back to give my thoughts.  Sorry guys, I've been reading a lot of horror comics for the new podcast so it slipped my mind a bit.  Totally buy that book.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

What about Men's Teioh breakfast?

I was really hoping for a picture of such an event but it just pulled up generic articles/pictures about breakfast men should eat.  It did make me hungry though.

8 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Sorry guys, I've been reading a lot of horror comics for the new podcast so it slipped my mind a bit. 

What are you reading?  Horror comics aren't really my thing, but if you're delving into some pre-code stuff, I'll make sure to check out your podcast.  Hell, even if you're not, I'll give it a shot.

And back on topic, I need to check out that Pillman book.  He's such a fascinating part of wrestling history.  When you think about it, he was ahead of the curve on two major movements:  He was one of the first lightheavyweights/cruiserweights to get over in the States while being pushed at that level, and he was doing the worked shoot thing before it was en vogue.

14 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

What are you reading?  Horror comics aren't really my thing, but if you're delving into some pre-code stuff, I'll make sure to check out your podcast.  Hell, even if you're not, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for asking.  We do an issue of Creepy Magazine each podcast, and after Episode One (we had a lot of creator profiles to get through) we talk about other Horror stuff we're reading as well.  Episode Zero and Episode One are both up wherever you get your podcasts - it's called READ MORE HORROR COMICS

Absolutely loving Crazy Like a Fox.  I was a huge Pillman fan growing up. War games 91 is still one of it not my favorite matches as our the tv matches with Flair. This is easily the best book I have read all year and I am not even half way finished.  Liam I would love to talk Pillman with you if you ever have spare time.

Thank you very much, keep me posted as to how you get on! As for a Pillman chat, I'm always down to talk about him whenever, by all means.

Big coverage in the Observer this week on the book, with a piece starting with the following:

wtyCQQUl.jpg

Also, a story on the book by Alex Marvez of Sporting News can be found here:

http://www.sportingnews.com/wwe/news/brian-pillman-book-crazy-like-a-fox-flyin-brian-liam-orourke-wcw-ecw-eric-bischoff/15xhpb5b1rffb1r6glsguafb80

• Like 3

On 12/12/2017 at 10:56 AM, Michael Sweetser said:

@Liam O'Rourke Any chance of getting the Pillman book on Kindle or another ebook provider?  

On 12/13/2017 at 9:09 AM, Liam O'Rourke said:

Not imminently, but possibly after Christmas.

I just got the Pillman book today and I'm very excited to get into it!

@Liam O'Rourke Would you consider making the Kindle version Kindle Matchbook eligible? What that does is reward loyal customers who bought the paper version by making the Kindle version either very cheap or free for them, depending on what you choose. Just an idea, but I think it would be a cool gesture.

I'm up to chapter 7 in the Pillman book (he's about to join WCW), and it's spellbinding so far. Keep in mind, I say that as someone who doesn't give two shits about football (what most of the early chapters are about), but it's fascinating anyway. I would have read more, but it was pushing 4 a.m. The book is fantastic. Get it, everyone!

• Like 1

On 25/12/2017 at 12:07 AM, C.S. said:

I'm up to chapter 7 in the Pillman book (he's about to join WCW), and it's spellbinding so far. Keep in mind, I say that as someone who doesn't give two shits about football (what most of the early chapters are about), but it's fascinating anyway. I would have read more, but it was pushing 4 a.m. The book is fantastic. Get it, everyone!

Thanks very much, glad you're enjoying it. Keep me posted as you progress, the most compelling stuff is yet to come...

10 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Thanks very much, glad you're enjoying it. Keep me posted as you progress, the most compelling stuff is yet to come...

I was going to post more - I just didn't want to "spoil" the book for anyone who hasn't read it - but since you, the author, asked... :D

The Hollywood Blonds stuff was frustrating to read about because it was such a massive missed opportunity on WCW's part. This was one of WCW's only acts that had the kind of sports-entertainment charisma and entertainment factor we'd more normally associate with top WWF characters. Despite being so short-lived, I still consider them one of the greatest tag teams I've ever seen. The subsequent Austin-Pillman feud was such a dud, and Pillman's face turn landed with a thud. The Austin-Col. Parker pairing never made any sense to me, and seemed ill-fitting at best. Austin's motivations in general for the turn were so weak and lacking. I just groaned throughout the whole thing at the time, and again when re-living it through your book.

I was surprised that Flair and Arn vs. The Blonds at Clash of the Champions drew such a low rating, but it makes sense too. The segments leading up to it were entertaining, but there was zero doubt about the outcome. Austin and Pillman had not been built up enough at that point to make me ever think they had a hope in hell of beating Flair and Arn. Also, tag teams in that era were positioned as decidedly inferior to singles wrestlers, which Flair and Arn were. To blame the Blonds for the rating afterward reeks of typical WCW backward thinking. A tag team match was a dumb idea for Flair's return anyway.

I stopped at Chapter 15 last night. Austin has just been fired from WCW and Pillman joined the Horsemen. The Loose Cannon error is about to begin!

One of the biggest surprises so far (for me at least) is how close Pillman and Raven were. I never really associated those two together in my mind. Reading about the Pillman-Flamingo feud made me remember it again, but I think it's safe to say that was overshadowed by all of the other things they both did after.

I also wasn't expecting...

Spoiler

...Pillman to be medically diagnosed as an alcoholic. I don't think I've ever read that anywhere else before. Wow.

This is already one of the best wrestling books I've read in many years, and it's only going to get better from here.

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

I figured I’d ask, and all jokes aside, has anyone given Beefcake’s book a go?

I'm mildly curious, but Hogan and Beefcake seemingly working a Twitter feud designed to sell books turned me off. "Workers gonna work" and all that, I know, but ehh. If it is somehow a legitimate beef, that makes me even sadder. Throwing away a decades-long friendship and "brotherhood" seems extremely petty and doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm about reading the book. If anyone else does though, please post impressions!

13 hours ago, sabremike said:

While it's not a wrestling book per say the new Jericho book is real good.

I'm about half way through. Love it. I was skeptical that it didn't follow the format of his other three, but this is great, and probably a pretty quick read for most people. 

On 27/12/2017 at 8:34 AM, C.S. said:

I stopped at Chapter 15 last night. Austin has just been fired from WCW and Pillman joined the Horsemen. The Loose Cannon error is about to begin!

This is already one of the best wrestling books I've read in many years, and it's only going to get better from here.

Thanks very much! Was fun to read your thoughts and recollections as you go through it. Of course, not looking to 'spoil' the content for anybody either, don't get me wrong, but I really enjoy seeing the on-the-go reaction of a reader because it wasn't written beginning to end, so that journey is fun to follow...