DVDVR Message Board

YOUR ALL-NEW WRESTLING BOOK THREAD

OSJ

• 2 weeks later...

Read the Ole Anderson book here's a few things that stuck out

Hate's Ric Flair says he voted for him to be champ so he would tour other areas and stay out of Georgia, says all he did is the same match.

When in talks with Johnny B Badd, he got him to agree to a 50,000 a year deal, the next day he was called in Jim Herd office with Badd and Herd said he had a deal for Badd, but he had to accept it right then.  It was for 250,000 plus a 75,000 year clothes budget.  Badd took it and Herd looked at Ole and said that's how you get deals done.  Ole was pissed.

That the he knew the Briscoe brothers were plotting with Vince and he had them meet him at hotel for drinks.  He said that he wanted to trust them and like the mafia he wanted to do a mafia blood oath and took out his knife and giged himself, the Briscoes did it too and they took the blood oath swearing allegiance to Ole

Vince offered him a job twice but Ole told him to Fuck off both times, then Linda introduced herself to Ole and said its just business and offered him a job too, but Ole told her fuck off.  Vince told him he would never work for him or in the business ever again.

When Eric Bishoff was working his way into power, he had the secretary witch all of Ole's calls to his office and Bishoff took him out of office and put him as a trainer at the powerplant.

Said he had no idea how Vince would change the business and regretted not working for him to make the most money.   .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 2:23 AM, CreativeControl said:

What was his issue with Hayes?

He didn't really have a problem with Hayes. Just basically said that when he tried to make suggestions to improve the live events, Hayes would get annoyed with him. Except he called him free bird. Everyone else he names by name but for some reason not Hayes. 

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎13 at 6:16 PM, acecraft said:

Read the Ole Anderson book here's a few things that stuck out

Hate's Ric Flair says he voted for him to be champ so he would tour other areas and stay out of Georgia, says all he did is the same match..

At least he's honest. :D

Is Ole's book on Kindle?  I don't think I've read it yet.

I've been rereading JJ Dillon's book now that it's on Kindle; it's pretty amazing what a career he had even before he became a manager.  I think it's been mostly forgotten due to the Horsemen overshadowing everything.

The story of getting fucked on money in the WWF and locked into a shitty house situation because of Vince is an eyeopener.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
9 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I've been rereading JJ Dillon's book now that it's on Kindle; it's pretty amazing what a career he had even before he became a manager.  I think it's been mostly forgotten due to the Horsemen overshadowing everything.

The story of getting fucked on money in the WWF and locked into a shitty house situation because of Vince is an eyeopener.

It is! https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Out-Corporate-Destroyed-Professional-ebook/dp/B00JEIM92Q/

9 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

JJ's book is in my top 5 wrestling autobiographies. I had no idea he had such a long career before he managed Tully and then the Horsemen. I wonder how was he as an actual worker in his prime. I've only ever seen him in matches where he toned his style down to wrestle like a manager would. 

The whole section about his employment with the WWF is fascinating. Was pretty funny that he owned up to coming up with the Papa Shango gimmick. He said Vince was the one to blame for The Gobbledy Gooker though.

Books I've read in the past year:

Ole Anderson's. Always love me some Ole. GREAT book. *****

Bob Backlund's. Another great read. LOVED the behind the scenes goings-on. *****

Stan Hansen's. Not as good as I hoped. Loved his travel though history and all of the dealings he had in Japan. Unless Stanley is a pure sweetheart, he only sorta-kinds put down Kawada. ****

Capital Revolution. Several chapters in and I just can't get into it.

15 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

JJ's book is in my top 5 wrestling autobiographies. I had no idea he had such a long career before he managed Tully and then the Horsemen. I wonder how was he as an actual worker in his prime. I've only ever seen him in matches where he toned his style down to wrestle like a manager would. 

I have fond memories of JJ Dillon when he was in the Bob Geigel/Harley Race Central States promotion based out of Kansas City.  JJ led a group of heels called the Rat Pack.  I can't remember who else was in that group.  Their main goal was to be able to put Rufus R. Jones in a rat suit.  I can't remember how that turned out, but I would imagine JJ ended up in the suit, much like Bobby Heenan in the weasel suit.

2 hours ago, Lee B. said:

I have fond memories of JJ Dillon when he was in the Bob Geigel/Harley Race Central States promotion based out of Kansas City.  JJ led a group of heels called the Rat Pack.  I can't remember who else was in that group.  Their main goal was to be able to put Rufus R. Jones in a rat suit.  I can't remember how that turned out, but I would imagine JJ ended up in the suit, much like Bobby Heenan in the weasel suit.

I'll always remember asking JJ how a guy from Trenton, New Jersey wound up dressing like Porter Wagoner (reffing an old Ric Flair promo), just for how tickled he was by the question. Like I'd made his day with it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

What did he say about Kawada? From the extract I read I figured it was gonna be like Harley Race's book where too much is skipped over for any worth to be gotten from it

Uncle Stan basically said that Kawada doesn't like foreigners that much.

That's not remotely what he said.

The first time we wrestled in Tokyo was June 5, 1992. My All Japan Triple Crown title was on the line and the match was voted Match of the Year by Tokyo Sports newspaper. Kawada and I faced each other many times, and for a long time, I always came out on top. I believe the fact that he couldn't beat me is what endeared him to the fans. He had the ability to open his heart to the fans and let them see his character. They knew he had set a goal of defeating me, and they returned regularly in the hopes he would one day win over me ... which he eventually did. On April 7, 1998, during the annual Champion's Carnival tournament, he pinned me cleanly in the middle of the ring in Kumamoto City.

Most of the gaijins wrestlers, however, did not particularly like Kawada. They thought he was cold and aloof. However, I always felt that was just a part of the personality and character he developed. I also think a lot of it had to do with Kawada being Japanese. Most of the gaijins didn't understand the Japanese very well, and when they don't understand something, they take offense. I spent so much time in Japan that I began to understand the Japanese mindset, but no gaijin will ever really understand because we are not Japanese. I accepted Kawada as he was. We were never friends, but we had respect for each other.

IIRC, Steve Williams in his book said that Kawada didn't like foreigners either. And judging from that interview Robert Gibson beating the hell out of either him or Fuyuki that early in their careers wouldn't endear me to working with them either. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2017 at 11:55 AM, SorceressKnight said:

Don't be- maybe if it fell apart I can return the bloody thing.

I never knew how much of a mark I was until I got maybe a tenth of the way through and already thought "I now have 3 dollars to my name until tomorrow for a piece of crap like THIS?" 

It's not the worst wrestling book I read (at least there's some fun stuff to it), but it's still a "DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME".

I borrowed this from the library the other day. Can't justify paying good money for it, but it's certainly good for a bunch of laughs at the price I paid. Lots of snark and in-jokes if that's your thing. 

Spoiler

The Vince section with the pages "torn out" is pretty brilliant.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Read both Rey Mysterio's book and Lita's. Rey's is written in that weird wwe ghost style that had short paragraphs for everything, and treats the matches(in way too much detail) in kayfabe. HE might alude to them working out a finish, but ends up convoluted. Some nice stuff about mexico and a little back stage stuff, but not dirt, and it feels sanitized. 2 stars, and that's being generous. Lita's was really good, and it felt like she actually wrote most of it. Good stuff about her childhood and life with more of a realistic edge. She doesn't bury a lot of being, but has real opinions, and doesn't pull punches. The section on her neck injury is horrifying. 4 stars, solidly on the second tier of wrestling books. . . .

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Any DVDVR members reactions to Chris Jericho's fourth book? I'll pick it up at some point as I own the other three. I'd say the original is still the best of them.

Wondering this myself. They're all good, but I agree, the first one is the best. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Any DVDVR members reactions to Chris Jericho's fourth book? I'll pick it up at some point as I own the other three. I'd say the original is still the best of them.

I'm awfully curious myself.  I'm not one for self-help books (though some would say I could use them, myself included at times)  But I generally like Chris's autobiographies so I'll likely pick it up at some point.

• Like 1