DVDVR Message Board

YOUR ALL-NEW WRESTLING BOOK THREAD

OSJ

Thank you for checking that - it would have been in my Top 5 Most Played in every category if only they had done it right. We all know there is a great chance that The American Dream did not even write the thing, but still... I would also request from those with a time machine and some common sense the books of Blassie, Gary Hart, Funk, and Valiant to read by the subjects.

• Like 2

So I wrote a book, the story of the first 10 promotions of the Japanese independent wrestling era, featuring the histories of the UWF, FMW, RINGS, UWFi and more. 500 pages! If you've got any interest in pro-wrestling, or are just curious about weird scenes, this might be the book for you! Just £15 ($20 US) + p&p! Physical copies only for now but digital to follow!

(Oh, and it’s dedicated to DEAN~!, Rippa, Schneider, Rev Ray, Ganc, Pogo Pete, and Naimark because the DVDVR was life)
Edited by Linus
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I just got Blood and Thunder and this DEFINITELY needs to be re-upped. @Linus you are a fantastic scholar, I've only gotten through the first chapter and have already read several things that I had no clue about at all and made me think differently about certain things. If the whole thing has the depth of that along with the dirt then I will put this up there with the great wrestling books. 

The other thing I wanted to bring up is that this arrived via this Lulu site and it seems like they produce books upon payment, like an individual printing system? Instead of you getting a press of 100 and end up using them as furniture if they aren't sold? If this is the deal then what a wonderful system of publication, and thankfully it exists now. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I just got Blood and Thunder and this DEFINITELY needs to be re-upped. @Linus you are a fantastic scholar, I've only gotten through the first chapter and have already read several things that I had no clue about at all and made me think differently about certain things. If the whole thing has the depth of that along with the dirt then I will put this up there with the great wrestling books. 

The other thing I wanted to bring up is that this arrived via this Lulu site and it seems like they produce books upon payment, like an individual printing system? Instead of you getting a press of 100 and end up using them as furniture if they aren't sold? If this is the deal then what a wonderful system of publication, and thankfully it exists now. 

Thanks for your kind words and I'm glad the level of detail isn't too much! It became a worry when I realised that the story of these promotions (and there are another 40 before the 90s runs out) would be bible-length but I kept finding little details that needed to be included! And, yes, Lulu's print-on-demand means books like this can be made with limited money up front - it's a lovely system!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading the Gary Hart autobiography, might have missed any discussion on this but is he as big a bullshitter as I think he is or is he on the level?

May've read about it at PWO discussing how he praises Ultimate Warrior and shits on Sting which was good enough to get me to check it out having almost no idea who tf he is (in my defense I was born in 78 and the first half of the book seems to cover all kinds of shit that happened waaaay before I was born) 

He takes credit for almost everything under the sun and I figured to ask, is he all the way legit, halfway legit, or just lying through his teeth?

Genuinely like what I've read so far, up to the part where Jim Herd was brought in to run wcw and dusty got let go. Its a good book imo I just don't know enough about him to know if he's full of it ?

I also started the Young Bucks and Bella twins autobiographies too, flipping back and forth between the three though I've gotten the furthest with the Hart one

As far as I've gotten into the Bucks book, they've quit TNA just after Jay Lethal got let go and I've been breezing through the book since there's some nice stuff about going to Japan and working the West coast so that's fun imo since I hadn't been all that familiar with "the indy scene" til maybe TNA started their weekly ppvs and they brought in guys from everywhere to work with the ex WWF talent like Shamrock, Hall, Jarrett etc

The Bella twins I've kinda found the least interesting of the three. Brie mentions some love of her teen life who died and how it hit her and I just skipped back to the Bucks and Hart biographies immediately 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm naive, but I believe Gary. Especially when you listen to the parts of his shoot talking about the booking office. The stories are just kinda crazy sometimes (watch him talk about the Spoiler too for that end of it). 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I think you take every wrestler’s stories, be they in print or on tape, with a grain of salt.

presumably, you give more credence to the folks that took notes over the years, like Foley or Bret or James E. But even then, everyone has either agendas, faulty memories or both. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Issue 14 of the UK's premier* wrestling fact 'zine is out NOW! Featuring a history of wrestling mummies, Tiger Mask(s), the early days of Brian Christopher, and the story behind the first wrestling action figures in the US!

(* only)

44 pages, black & white, 10pt Trebuchet MS

You can get a copy posted to your house by sending £3.50 (£4.50 for anywhere outside the UK) through PayPal to [email protected]. Please tick the "sending to a friend or family" box and put your address in the notes so I know where to send it to! Alternatively, you can use the webstore at wrestlingcanbeanything.bigcartel.com, but it costs an extra 50p! I also do PDF copies for £1 each!

WCBA#14.png

Also, my book is still available if you want the full (and I mean FULL) story of Japanese independent wrestling - bit.ly/BldThndr

• Like 1

Has the Mad Man Pondo book been mentioned on here? Anyway, I axed for it for Jeebus' B'day #1 from my Amazon listee, and there it was. I just read it and it was light but fun. Pondo is a sweetheart, and don't believe the trope that all deathmatch peoples are gentle intelligent humorous humanitarians - there are plenty of jag-offs. However, Mr. P is just that trope: generous, humble, funny, and smart. More of a collection of anecdotes in MMP's voice, as well as many others giving their input as well, oral history style. Yet another rassling book where I am not mentioned by name but I was in the room for a few of the selected happenings. Huh. Cool cover, too.

web-pondo.jpg?fit=968,928&ssl=1

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
I am a busy man, who has time to spellcheck? Actually, I have nothing but time...
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Has the Mad Man Pondo book been mentioned on here? Anyway, I axed for it for Jeebus' B'day #1 from my Amazon listee, and there it was. I just read it and it was light but fun. Pondo is a sweetheart, and don't believe the trope that all deathmatch peoples are gentle intelligent humorous humanitarians - they are plenty of jag-offs. At any rate, Mr. P is just that trope: generous, humble, funny, and smart. More of a collection of anecdotes in MMP's voice, as well as many others giving their input as well, oral history style. Yet another rassling book where I a not mentioned but I was in the room for a few of the mentioned happenings. Huh. Cool cover, too.

web-pondo.jpg?fit=968,928&ssl=1

Loved the Abby story of $5 off for a shirt.

My book on the history of Japanese independent wrestling is now available as an eBook from the Kindle store: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WQCZC4W

Here's the blurb: "In 1983, as the result of a dispute between the executives of New Japan Pro-Wrestling, the first independent wrestling promotion in Japan for over a decade was formed. This set off a chain of events that heralded a new era for the sport, sparking a revolution that took pro-wrestling in a thousand new directions. Featuring histories of the UWF, FMW, RINGS, and more, this is the story of the first 10 promotions of the independent era and the men who created them…"

Blood & Thunder - volume 1: The Story of the I by [Alan Boon]

• Like 2

On 3/21/2022 at 12:12 PM, No Point Stance said:

Oh man, I would love an English translation of this one. Probably never gonna happen sadly, though even excerpts would be good.

Right?  I bet Fuchi has got some real wild stories.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Linus said:

My book on the history of Japanese independent wrestling is now available as an eBook from the Kindle store: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WQCZC4W

Here's the blurb: "In 1983, as the result of a dispute between the executives of New Japan Pro-Wrestling, the first independent wrestling promotion in Japan for over a decade was formed. This set off a chain of events that heralded a new era for the sport, sparking a revolution that took pro-wrestling in a thousand new directions. Featuring histories of the UWF, FMW, RINGS, and more, this is the story of the first 10 promotions of the independent era and the men who created them…"

Blood & Thunder - volume 1: The Story of the I by [Alan Boon]

Before I buy - does it benefit you more to sell a physical copy or digital? Or does it not matter? Not asking cuz I'm nosy just wanna make sure you get the most reward for your hard work. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Before I buy - does it benefit you more to sell a physical copy or digital? Or does it not matter? Not asking cuz I'm nosy just wanna make sure you get the most reward for your hard work. 

Aww, bless you! I get roughly the same amount from both so it's up to you what you prefer - I always go hard copy!