DVDVR Message Board

YOUR ALL-NEW WRESTLING BOOK THREAD

OSJ

Just finished Way of the Blade and it was great! As a long-time reader of course I was gonna like it (and could even pick out some verbatim pieces from prior writings) but I think anyone that likes bloody wrestling or wrestling reviewing period would like this. It also has some freaky art; Chris Bryan's style is like a funhouse mirror version of courthouse sketches. All the heads and faces are somehow creepy and off. There are also drawings for every single match which was a surprise. The other surprise I got was how many matches I had personally not seen, and those not skewing towards the obscure but rather the more popular. Like who has not seen the Sting/Vader strap match before? Me. Weird. 

Anyway, well worth a purchase. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, No Point Stance said:

Any word on a wider availability reissue of Rock Rims' When It Was Big Time? The first run sold out quickly and when I contacted him (since it was only available direct from the author) he was only accepting US bank cheques, IIRC, which ruled me out as a denizen of the UK.

I didn't realise that, I emailed Rock for a price for either 2 or 3 of his books and he quoted me $147 or $175 respectively. I was tempted as wrestling books like this seem to always hold their value and sometimes go for crazy prices once out of print but I was assuming he'd accept paypal.

Edited by Happ Hazzard

19 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Anybody get the Jaime Hernandez book of wrestling drawings? Kinda want to pick it up but would like to hear some opinions first.

Check out the comics thread. 

Also my article on Lucha in L&R and interview w Jaime.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

That's a wonderful title for a Lance Von Erich book! Genius!

Yea it is a great title. 

Got in the other day a horror fiction book based on Indie wrestler Charlie Kruel. Cover is made to look like a late 80s Horror vhs you would find at the video store. Got it cause Charlie was booked for the Battlezone Southern Belle tournament that was gonna happen in Sept. But now it is cancelled.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Anybody get the Jaime Hernandez book of wrestling drawings? Kinda want to pick it up but would like to hear some opinions first.

It's in the mail on the way to me right now, hopefully have it no later than Tuesday. It's release was perfect timing, as I just reread all my Love and Rockets comics

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 8:15 PM, Zimbra said:

Just circling back to this, as it arrived earlier in the week

It is very cool, but I would say it is mostly just for Hernandez completionists. By his own admission, none of these drawings and sketches were meant for public consumption. They were merely for his own entertainment or character studies, so he uses the same image over and over and makes small tweaks to it. There's a few poses that are used almost a dozen times with just the hair coloured different or different tights, etc. You'll see Maggie's face a lot too or as he calls it, his "universal face."

That said, a lot of the pics are super cool, some action shots, the faux magazine covers and captions are 1970s note perfect and I love how the interview is integrated within in the whole of the book. So often in art books the interview is just one big block of text at the beginning and its always so easy to skip past it without the desire to read it.

This is my favourite piece in the whole thing

v4Yo3js.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 9:07 PM, Curt McGirt said:

People in the US barely accept US bank checks anymore

Yeah, it seemed a weirdly anachronistic way to sell books, here in the '20s, but I checked his email and his actual statement is 'I accept payment via U S. Postal Money Order or check', which I'm guessing isn't much easier for US customers and again totally precludes overseas buyers. Hopefully it'll see a more accessible print run, or even just a Kindle edition at some point.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 3:00 PM, bobholly138 said:

1gUjDhO.jpg

6l35RCj.jpg

Got in this barely 100 page book Monday and read it in a bit over an hour. Lots of info about XPW I had never heard. But also nothing MUST READ about it. I think up next is Lance By Chance the Lance Von Erich book.

LOOOL any of the old heads here will recognize this!  God damn, this brings back memories.  This dude was a weirdo who used to post here and always talked about writing this book — it was even in his sig — but it never materialized.  We’d always make fun of him, asking what the other half of the job was.  

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

LOOOL any of the old heads here will recognize this!  God damn, this brings back memories.  This dude was a weirdo who used to post here and always talked about writing this book — it was even in his sig — but it never materialized.  We’d always make fun of him, asking what the other half of the job was.  

Yea Jon Barber. He died earlier this year,appears to be suicide. He had the book finished but wanted to have it come out in 2024 on the 25th anniversary of the first XPW show. Pretty decent book.

I'm going through editing my book for shopping it to the publishers. I had my mentor at my alma mater read through it and it's so amazing to realize that we all live in a bubble as wrestling fans. I'm using some wrestling terminology and she doesn't get what they mean. Plus, she seemed to think that the WON might have been some wrestling scholarly journal that the business has going for it. It's trippy to go through and read her notes and to realize this stuff.