DVDVR Message Board

YOUR ALL-NEW WRESTLING BOOK THREAD

OSJ

The end of a volume of sorts, WCBA #5 completes the stories of Fighting Opera HUSTLE and Nick Gage, and also looks at the comic book wrestling career of Crusher Hogan, Southern Culture On The Skids & the history of wrestling bears, and the influence of Mad Max on professional wrestling!

44 pages, black & white, 10pt Trebuchet MS

You can get a copy posted to your house by sending £3.50 (£4.50 for anywhere outside the UK) through PayPal to [email protected]. Please tick the "sending to a friend or family" box and put your address in the notes so I know where to send it to! Alternatively, you can the webstore at wrestlingcanbeanything.bigcartel.com, but it costs an extra 50p! I also do PDF copies for £1 each!

wcba5a.png

Edited by Linus

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FComic-Book-Story-Professional-Wrestling-ebook%2Fdp%2FB07911J6S6&psig=AOvVaw229zi5FfFw0xnB5KC36DpL&ust=1594329987541000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwiImuKVzL7qAhXO654KHR95BaEQr4kDegUIARCWAQ

The Comic Book Story of Professional Wrestling. If you are interested in seeing the story told as a graphic novel. Also a few years ago Cary Elwes wrote a behind the scense of The Princess Bride called "As You Wish", some really fun Andre stories in that

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WCBA #6 is the PUNK issue, and all the stories in this issue are about punk wrestling or punks in wrestling or wrestling in punk. Get the full story of Dark Wrestling Organisation 666, the low down on ANTiSEEN's wrestling album and Bob Mould's Hardcore Wrestling 'zine. Read about the career of "Prince of Punk" Shannon Moore, why the Angry Samoans are Los Angeles wrestling, and Jaime Hernandez's lucha Locas from Love & Rockets!

You can get a copy posted to your house by sending £3.50 (£4.50 for anywhere outside the UK) through PayPal to [email protected]. Please tick the "sending to a friend or family" box and put your address in the notes so I know where to send it to! Alternatively, you can use the webstore at wrestlingcanbeanything.bigcartel.com, but it costs an extra 50p! I also do PDF copies for £1 each!

EeK94g2WkAEpoOB?format=png&name=small

• Like 3

Just now, odessasteps said:

I did an article about Lucha in L&R a few years ago, including interviewing Xiame, in I think issue 5 of the magazine. 

id be interested in seeing how yours tackles these ideas. 

My ‘zine is very much a factzine so there’s story and context, rather than analysis. I’d love to read yours - do you have a PDF? We could swap if that’s cool?

1 minute ago, Linus said:

My ‘zine is very much a factzine so there’s story and context, rather than analysis. I’d love to read yours - do you have a PDF? We could swap if that’s cool?

Yeah. I don’t think I havea pdf on me at the moment, but can get it tomorrow. 

Always did have a nice hawk at least

EDIT: That issue should have included something on Rancid Vat, as well. Big wrestling fans. Then again they did splits with Antiseen so they might be brought up. 

EDIT II: And I'm forgetting the axis of Clevo hardcore bands like H100s, Nine Shocks Terror, Bombbuilder, Gordon Solie Motherfuckers, etc. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah. I don’t think I havea pdf on me at the moment, but can get it tomorrow. 

Cool, DM me an e-mail address!

And there were a few of bands I wish I'd have had space to write about - VaderBomb most of all - that's why there'll be a punk issue part 2 at some point, even though it was more effort than the usual issues!

• Like 1

So after not getting into it previously I decided to try Tim Hornbacker's NWA book again.  But like last time even though it's full of detailed information the book is as dull as dishwater and hard to get into without feeling like falling asleep.  I've used it before bed but even when full of caffeine and energy it's just painfully boring.

So while I'm trying to get through it I was wondering if there was a more succinct resource that covers what the book's trying to do.  I don't want a super quick history of the NWA but just something detailed enough without putting me to sleep.  I know this sounds harsh as I'm sure it's a good book for those seeking this out.  But anything at all to go with this would be appreciated.

• Like 1

All those Hornbacker books are dry as molasses. I mean, GOOD and INFORMATIVE but my God is he dry. 

Finished the new Andre the Giant. Very good, especially if you have an interest in Montreal wrestling. Once you get to the WWF run it turns a little into just like reading match recaps from the Observer but reading about the Giant's early life and career was really interesting. 

• Like 2

A shill (so do delete if not allowed), but I'm releasing a book called 'Bigger! Better! Badder! - The Road to Wrestlemania III' on Sunday. Was a project I've worked on for a bit and I even give the board a shout out in the Acknowledgements section as I did ask some questions here to clarify things I wrote about.

413XsXQhKPL.jpg

Wrestlemania III was arguably the commercial and critical peak of WWF wrestling in the 80s. As an event, it became representative of what the promotion could offer the wrestling world. From angles and storylines that were engaging, to exciting in-ring action, the pay-per-view provided something for everyone and shattered many records in the process.

This wasn't always the way. Wrestlemania II, while commercially successful, had been a case of the WWF over-reaching and spreading themselves too thinly over three shows that were underwhelming at best. So what happened? How did 1986 turn into 1987 for the WWF; Wrestlemania II into Wrestlemania III? With over twenty wrestlers appearing on both cards, the WWF already had the parts in place but had yet to fully realise their potential.

Liam Byrne takes a look at what happened in the year between the two shows. Not only does the book focus on the angles and storylines that built the foundations of the Wrestlemania III card, but the feuds that carried the promotion after the fallout from Wrestlemania III such as Jake Roberts and Ricky Steamboat, or the Paul Orndorff turn on Hulk Hogan. Relive one of the most significant years in WWF wrestling history as they finally got their act together and provided something Bigger! Better! Badder!

I posted the Prologue at VOW for anyone who might fancy a look at what it is all about.

https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2020/08/18/bigger-better-badder-the-road-to-wrestlemania-iii-by-liam-byrne/

UK Amazon

US Amazon

It will also be available on Kindle Unlimited when it is released.

Cheers guys.

• Like 5

The book is officially out today. Should mean you can now access it via Kindle Unlimited as well. Thanks for all of the support thus far people.

Edit: Enrolment on Kindle Unlimited should now be sorted.

Edited by Liam
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kicking off the second volume of stories about the weird world of professional wrestling, WCBA #7 shines a light on the worst comic book ever produced, the best videogame ever produced, and more. Read about Kevin Nash, the AKI engine, the Butcher, the roots of monster wrestling in W*ING, Uncle Grandpa's History of Wrestling, and a primer on Mexican wrestling movies, all in funky fact fashion.

40 pages, black & white, 10pt Trebuchet MS

You can get a copy posted to your house by sending £3.50 (£4.50 for anywhere outside the UK) through PayPal to [email protected]. Please tick the "sending to a friend or family" box and put your address in the notes so I know where to send it to! Alternatively, you can use the webstore at wrestlingcanbeanything.bigcartel.com, but it costs an extra 50p! I also do PDF copies for £1 each!

D262A99A-F061-4580-AC91-9416E4FBD931.jpe

On 8/12/2020 at 11:11 AM, Hagan said:

All those Hornbacker books are dry as molasses. I mean, GOOD and INFORMATIVE but my God is he dry. 

What's weird about that is his baseball books are totally not that. They are absolutely top class books. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't picked it up yet, JR's first book is $4.95 (plus $4 shipping no matter how much you order (in the US)) at Hamilton Books. Hamilton is a great place to order from. They ship to prisoners which is a huge pain in the ass, so throw some support to them. They for sure helped keep me sane during my time in the Feds. (They also have some wrestling DVDs and Blu-ray's for cheap. I grabbed the WWE Madison Square Garden blu for like $5 and something called the 1983 Portland Yearbook Vol. 1 for $4. All 3 for a little over $20 after tax and shipping, plus they arrived in 4 days. Can't beat that.)

• Like 1

Orange Crush #1 was really good and some of you should have bought it. Or buy it now, it's still available. This new one is a photo book without the essays and articles the OC proper has. And I'm probably getting a copy.

Issue 8 of your favourite funky fact 'zine continues the stories of W*ING and the worst comic book ever produced, and also brings you the short history of the Man with the Bionic Arm, the lucha killer, the greatest moment in WWF history, and psychedelic meditations on World of Sport wrestling! All this and a bonus Bonanza piece!

You can get a copy posted to your house by sending £3.50 (£4.50 for anywhere outside the UK) through PayPal to [email protected]. Please tick the "sending to a friend or family" box and put your address in the notes so I know where to send it to! Alternatively, you can use the webstore at wrestlingcanbeanything.bigcartel.com, but it costs an extra 50p! I also do PDF copies for £1 each!

wcba8.png.9d2a2104965f76b652f6a167b1133f