DVDVR Message Board

Sangre Chicana vs. Villano III (12/7/84)

Phil Schneider

• 3 weeks later...

The first two falls of this are really straight out of MS1/Chicana but that's no criticism, they do it and do it well.  Chicana bleeds right out of the gate and Villano III is fantastic working him over.  Chicana's comeback is, again, brilliant followed by a totally nuts dive and somehow afterward Villano III is just gushing barrelfuls of blood.  The third fall doesn't last long with Villano just drenched in blood and his mask ripped almost completely off; Chicana tears the mask off, Villano responds with a kick to the balls and I think it ends in a double DQ.  Which would be positively poetic if so: a double finish involving a mask rip and a nut shot, a symphony of screwy lucha finishes.  This is real short but man is it great.  I also love the VQ, makes the whole proceeding feel seedy which is about the best atmosphere for a bloody lucha brawl.

Sangre Chicana is incredible. Tim is right about these first two falls being similar to the original Sangre Chicana vs MS-1 match but it's such a good layout that it's hard to hate on it. His comeback is so simple. It's just a punch and a tope but it's timed so well that you don't need anything more complicated. Villano III is a natural to play the role of guy who beats up Sangre Chicana for most of the match. Unfortunately there isn't much of a third fall so this won't be going too high in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I insane or was a big part of the third fall missing from this? They did show the replay to the ending of the second which could have been when Chicana ripped Villano III’s mask up and bloodied him but that only lasted seconds. Anyways, this was worked similarly to the Chicana-MS-1 classic but didn’t have as much heat, meaning, and the Chicana’s comeback didn’t mean nearly as much. Villano bloodies Chicana up pretty good and Chicana is a master of selling so this worked. Villano III has great brawling offense and kept this interesting even if I thought he was in control for too long without a proper build to Chicana’s comeback. As an aside, I like Villano III way better in this match than any other he’s been in. He has annoyed me some with no selling bullshit in previous matches on the set. The brawling style fits him greatly. I loved his top rope senton. It looked brutal. Chicana throws his famous punch and hits a tremendous dive to win the second fall by count-out and officially make a comeback. The weird part comes here where after the replay of the second fall finish we have a bloodied and near maskless Villano III desperately trying to fend off Chicana from taking his mask. Chicana succeeds and Villano is still getting attacked so he awesomely punts Chicana in the balls for the double DQ finish. I loved that finish as it made total sense for Villano to just kick the fuck out of Chicana in the nads because Chicana was trying to expose him. Too bad something is missing or else I’d like this a little more.

This is floating right under four stars. Something felt missing and this was a lighter version of Chicana-MS-1. Still, I liked it and it’s about a solid B or B+. Very good brawl.

If it wasn't for the clipping in the third fall this would probably be the match of the set, at least so far. This has a gritty, sleazy vibe that makes you think of Mean Streets or Last House on the Left. It's well-filmed but the shitty quality of the video makes it feel so trashy. Sangre is pouring blood within minutes of the first fall. Eventually he comes up with the simple comeback we already saw in the two MS-1 matches. This time however his tope is out of this world and I had to replay it. Villano III pops a vein out of nowhere and we have less than a full match. Sad, sad, sad.

• 3 weeks later...

Sangre Chicana vs. Villano III (12/7/84)This is awesome stuff as V-3 just beats the fucking shit out of Chicana early and he is bleeding like hell with V-3 being awesome working over the cut. V-3's DDT on the floor was sweet before just killing Chicana with a senton bomb off the top rope to win the 1st fall. V-3 is a monster here to start the 2nd fall still working over the cut before Chicana finally gets some great punches in before totally NUKING V-3 with a tope suicida on the floor taking the 2nd fall by countout. Chicana starts the 3rd fall basically ripping V-3's mask completely off and he is now juicing and this is now a total bloodbath with Roberto Rangel having a hard time keeping control as Chicana is like a madman getting his revenge. Chicana would rip the mask completely off so V-3 answers back with a punt right to the nuts for a DDQ finish here. Fantastic match.

i was expecting the Cota tag due to the spacing problems on the listing. I got this instead. It was a nice surprise.

Obviously the immediate comparison is the MS-1 match and the difference here seems to be that Villano is in there pumped up in the ring instead out outright dickish. I say that right until we get the close up of the cut biting which is sort of enhanced by the footage quality making it seem like a snuff film or something. Never mind. That's followed by the DDT on the floor. It's a paint by numbers first fall, ending with the suplex and the huge senton, but they're painting with blood and cruelty. Basically, at this point I'm pumped for Chicana's comeback because I know how great it'll be (Edit: And i'm listening to the podcast and Will JUST said the same thing during the reply of the first fall. It follows that if Will and I agree on something independently, it pretty much has to be true).

The video makes it tough to see but he's doing a grounded abdominal stretch bite spot which is just an insane dedication to what you're doing. And BOOM, there's the KO punch followed by the huge huge tope. And he wins the fall on that. This is just like the classic match. It's crazy, but you know what I think it's a testament to? Two things. One is that the first match was in no way, shape or form an accident. Other people talk about psychology like it's rarely intentional and wrestlers just do "whatever works" or what not, but the fact that they had so minimalist a match and then Chicana repeated it like this is telling. The second thing is that it sort of raises the second Chicana vs MS-1 match in my mind because it's not just that Chicana didn't realize why his first match worked. He knew full well but they still went out and wrestled a totally different, still very good match. I know the initial layout, on paper, is so logical and simple, but it's not like it's something we see everyday. 

Third fall starts with Chicana destroying the mask and bleeding all over the place. He finally gets it off and then eats the low blow and that's it. What a frustrating third fall! You wanted to see the two of them have that war of attrition. What we had was great but it's a travesty we didn't get a real end to the match. We were robbed. This is one of those matches that maybe would be better if we didn't have the other match to compare it to but you can't look at this and not think what could have been.

Third fall starts with Chicana destroying the mask and bleeding all over the place. He finally gets it off and then eats the low blow and that's it. What a frustrating third fall! You wanted to see the two of them have that war of attrition. What we had was great but it's a travesty we didn't get a real end to the match. We were robbed. This is one of those matches that maybe would be better if we didn't have the other match to compare it to but you can't look at this and not think what could have been.

This is a mano-a-mano bout, which is an entirely different beast from a hair match. You can't expect them to go all out because they're never going to give away the third fall to a hair match in a mano-a-mano bout. Mano-a-manos are a tease for a future stip match or in this case a singles match without having to wager anything. They're always narrow in scope and usually involve blood and little else.

They run the same exact match and then just cut it off. We're going to compare it to the other match. I understand it served a different purpose, but when ranking matches, it's a pretty easy comparison and it will affect the second match's ranking. They didn't necessarily do anything wrong, but it'll be 30 spots below the first one or whatever and it should be because it's only a fraction of that match.

That still doesn't mean that a mano-a-mano is less than a hair match because it doesn't have an epic third fall. That's like saying a title match is less than a hair match because it lacks blood. Either the mano-a-mano is a greater mano-a-mano match than the hair match is a hair match or not. That's my take on it, anyway.

I think that's not completely unreasonable. Intent and whether or not the wrestlers tried to accomplish what they set out to do matters (and I think I care more about that other people), but ultimately, you're comparing these matches against one another and I think most people would put the best hair match well above the best mano-a-mano match and probably a lot of second tier hair matches over the best mano-a-mano match. I think "level of difficulty matters" in this case. With title matches, it's an entirely different animal and a lot more subjectivity will enter in there. I know I don't always have the discipline to judge higher matches in a style I don't like as much because I think they do that style well.

I still really dug this despite the length.  I actually like how by the third fall both guys are all, "Fuck it!"  Chicana ain't letting that mask stay on so Villano punts him in the nuts.  Sounds fair to me.  Ref can't keep control, so it's over.  So simple.  So good.  Nothing to not like here.

• 1 month later...

Villano got screwed. The mask came off before the nutshot! Anyway, this was a great, great match, which had a chance of being my number one if the third fall had gone longer, as I think I liked the first 2 falls more than the first 2 of the MS-1/Chicano match. That second fall finish was a thing of beauty. I loved the way Villano was almost thumbing his nose at Chicano by strutting out of the corner after Chicano starts the comeback, only to get knocked out of the ring and wiped out with a glorious dive. Probably my favourite sequence of the set so far (I love that most of these matches feature my favourite something of the set so far).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I enjoyed this match more than the much-beloved Chicana-MS-1 match.  Villano III's offense is more interesting than MS-1's offense was in his match with Chicana.  Chicana's tope was breathtakingly fast.  Once Villano III was shot in the head after the second fall, it made sense to go to the end fairly quick.  This match was indeed sleazy and gross.  I had to rewatch parts of it to figure out what was going on.  But I definitely loved it and will remember this for a while.  This is top 10 or 20 for me, I'd think.

• 1 month later...

Awesome brawl early on with Villano III getting the jump and Chicana selling like only Chicana can. Tons of blood as expected. Really liked the direction the match was heading as I was pumped for Chicana's big comeback. He finally did it and nailed a great Chicana tope like only Chicana can do. Villano III sold it like a champ too and was also busted open. Match was chugging along into that third fall and then... it ended. And it ended with the typical UWA face saving finish - both guys get DQ'ed. I understand you are building to a bigger match (presumably) but it's still such a total letdown. The only thing worse at the time was double countouts. In retrospect they really wasted doing such a good job in the first two falls if this was the idea on how to end the match. Disappointing.

• 2 months later...

I am a little confused by the term clipping being used here. Was part of the third fall clipped or is this all we have? As a match used to built up a bigger one, I had no issues with this finish whatsoever as a match that has gotten out of hand is pretty clearly indicated by both guys being drenched in blood, Villano having his mask ripped off, and him delivering a great nut shot to Chicana. The first two falls were all about building up to the Chicana comeback and he didn't disappoint as the tope was sick. Villano is starting to become my unheralded worker of the set as I think he is getting short changed a bit based on some of the comments. I have enjoyed his singles matches with Perro and now Chicana immensely. This feels like a sneaky top 25 match to me and the length didn't bother me in the slightest as it was 13 minutes of a straight fight. (****1/4)

• 3 months later...

I really enjoyed this but I'm not really sure how to rank it. It was a pretty awesome 2 falls though. Chicana gets his ass kicked and bleeds as is his specialty. Then he does a comeback involving his other specialty, an insane looking tope. I'm conditioned now that when I see him setting up for it I start getting excited because he ALWAYS looks like he's going to kill himself, his opponent, someone in the front row or all of them. The finish was kind of disappointing but I'm starting to also get used to the fact that the finishes don't really seem to matter as much outside of title matches & hair matches. As far as bloody brawls go, this was a good one and I was happy this was a shorter match because I've been having problems staying awake trying to watch Dandy/Cruz.