DVDVR Message Board

Has anyone else ever seen this?

cool arrow

Years ago, I'm thinking probably mid-80's or thereabouts, I was at my local heavy metal shop and I found this odd little DIY B&W bootleg comic that was titled  "Lois Lane, Girl Reporter" or something along those lines.  I don't remember much about it, except that it incorporated actual panels from old Siegel/Schuster Superman comics.  Does this ring any bells with anyone else?

4 hours ago, cool arrow said:

Nah, it had a definite underground-y feel to it.  I mean, it wasn't a Tijuana Bible or anything, but it was definitely DIY.

Of all the comics to glom onto in order to make a DIY ripoff, they chose Lois F'n Lane??? WTF? Has to have been a rib of some sort, though on whom, I've no clue.

4 hours ago, cool arrow said:

I know, but I'm reasonably sure it really did exist.

Not doubting you bro, comic geeks are a weird bunch.

I've become far more intrigued by this thing than any reasonable person should be... I e-mailed Kurt Busiek, and he's as fascinated as I am... I mean "Lois Lane Girl Reporter" when "Giant Turtle Jimmy Olson" was right there?

• 1 month later...

weird coincidence timing here.

Over at ComicBookResources, they do a weekly feature about "Comic Book Legends" and myths. one this week featured Lois Lane, Girl Reporter, the aforementioned newspaper strips from the 40s.

at the bottom, however, he mentions in passing a book called "Lois Lane, Reporter", by Kate Beaton, and gives this example:

loislanesm.png?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q

i don't know if this is what you were after (seems a bit newer), but at least it's something.

We're talking Kate Beaton of "Vagrant" fame? This is really getting interesting, she's in her early 30s, IIRC so if the OP is right about the date it couldn't be her, but if he was thinking mid-late 1990s, very well could have been some early work... I dunno, I tend to obsess about bibliographic details and oddball stuff like this. As an example, two recently reprinted favorites:

Twisted Clay (Paperback): Frank WalfordTHE FANGS OF SUET PUDDING: Farr, Adams

You can get both off of abebooks.com for under $25 for the pair, the most fun that you can have for that amount of money with your clothes on.