DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

Okay - this is where I probably should note that I use IMDB for the naming.

The reason I say that is IMDB is like the only place that DOESN'T call X2 X2: X-Men United (though it does listed it way down in additional names)

Comic book movies can fuck off with never having simple God Damn names

Out of Sight is definitely a film I enjoy more with each viewing. I'm happy it at least made this list. I'm also surprised a high vote of 43 was enough to carry it.

I finally watched my Criterion of Badlands specifically for this list.  I would love to have a copy of that Badlands print for my office. That thing is gorgeous.

The craft of Malick is quite apparent from this debut film. The blu ray transfer is a beautiful sight to behold. 

On 08/02/2017 at 5:46 PM, Cyanide said:

I think this and a certain notable other one are the only "comic book" movies on my list, with Avengers getting the nod over other Marvel fare by being THE comic book movie in my eyes. The way it captures the aesthetic and tone and visuals of a huge superhero crossover event, coupled with it somehow overdelivering even on the incredible hype and promise surrounding a four-plus year development cycle tying in multiple big budget properties, really makes it something special and a truly memorable achievement to me (even if it may not specifically be a better example of "craft" than some films I ended up ranking below it).

Well said.

'Badlands' is the only Malick that I don't LOVE (Maybe 'Knight of Cups' but that one's new so it's harder to classify) though in typing this I realize I've only ever watched 'Badlands' once on VHS on one of those little tiny TVs they used to (Maybe still do) have in university libraries, so I'm probably due a re-appraisal on a good TV, using at least a DVD copy!

Bummed that neither 'Point Break' nor 'Point Blank' made it, though it would appear I voted for neither so...

Films I voted for:

A Fistful of Dollars (1964). The start of the Dollars trilogy with Clint Eastwood in his defining role, the Man with No Name.

Batman (1989). I shoud have bumped this into my top 100, least I gave it an honourable mention. The look of the film, the score and the performances of Keaton/Nicholson the positives. Batman killing, nah.

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut (1999). I'm not keen on musicals, this is an exception. A funny satire with catchy songs. Blame Canada's the standout, Kyle's mom's a...and the medley.

X2 (2003). Pleasantly surprised to find I'm not the highest voter. No X-Men film has ever topped X2. I think back to the film's open with Nightcrawler, the Mansion siege, Bobby opening up to his parents and Wolverine against Lady Deathstrike. X2 is in my top 10 comic book movies.

2 hours ago, caley said:

Bummed that neither 'Point Break' nor 'Point Blank' made it, though it would appear I voted for neither so...

I didn't vote for Point Break either, but it is talked about so much one would think it was a given.  I did vote for Point Blank. The idea that it didn't make the cut, it's...it's...

Spoiler

Cuy4_aUWAAAfDZS.jpg

Doesn't give me much hope for about 85% of my ballot

To be fair - if you have followed previous lists you should have expected Little Giants because Chris and I are always the only two voters for it.

The unpredictable part was where exactly it was going to end up on my ballot.