DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

316) FIREWORKS (HANA-BI) (1997)

Director: Takeshi Kitano

108 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Magnificent 7 (#26) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 75 (90s V2), 73 (90s V1)

One of the few films I actually managed to re-watch before the poll.  It was a lot more opaque than I remembered, with lots of jumping back and forth with the chronology that's not exactly obvious on a first watch.  Still a stunning film, really, full of violence and sadness and, surprisingly, humor.

I have no idea how I've never watched Once Upon a Time in America. It looks like something that I would love and I know that but I've never gotten around to watching it. 

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Schrader made a class conscious 70s drama with Richard Pryor, Harvey Keitel, and Yaphet Kotto, and I've never heard of it?! 

My thoughts exactly need to find this one and give it a watch for sure.

2 minutes ago, Sublime said:

I have no idea how I've never watched Once Upon a Time in America. It looks like something that I would love and I know that but I've never gotten around to watching it. 

Almost 4 hours long is why

I actually just rewatched "Once Upon a Time in America" a couple of weeks ago, which is probably why I ranked it so high. I even watched the Extended Version, which is 20 minutes longer (4hrs 11min).

When I first saw it like 15 years ago I fell asleep several times, but this time I ended up loving it (this probably goes well with what J.T. said a couple of pages ago). It's definitely worth watching at least once.

IF YOU HAD FRIDAY AT 3 PM WHEN RIPPA DISCOVERS THE FIRST MAJOR FUCK-UP - YOU WIN THE POOL

Okay - so I combined the two different versions of Point Blank (the Boorman 1967 one and the Bigelow 1991 one). This hybrid creation was going to show up in the next batch of movies.

Basically all this means is that only 360 movies made the countdown (which I actually like better).

I will renumber the master list but I am not going to renumber this thread.

So the next movie posted here will be #312

Grr...

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - so I combined the two different versions of Point Blank (the Boorman 1967 one and the Bigelow 1991 one). This hybrid creation was going to show up in the next batch of movies.

The 1991 Bigelow film is Point BREAK though.

But I guess it makes no difference if neither version got enough points to make it.

NEW BLOOD IS MY NEW FAVORITE. 

Only ten years after the war to end all wars, Kon Ichikawa made an incredible film about coming to grips with the idea that Japan did some abominable shit. But he does it in such an elegant and poetic way that it hits deeper and harder than some of the more radical Japanese New Wave that came later. Can't recommend it enough. 

And at the same time, I'm going to bat for @Rippa and say Austin Powers is a solid comedy and one I'd probably include in a best comedies ever Top 100. Michael Myers recycles some material(because that's what he does), but the film itself feels like a cult indy comedy that some how became a blockbuster. And it's paced out really fucking well. The others are just big budget cannibalism of the same shit, but the first one is fantastic.

Also while I'm here waiting for Yeezy's to drop, I'll add that I rewatched MAGNOLIA twice(!)last year and it's really quite beautiful, and moves faster than its runtime would lead you to believe. I think it suffers the same way that Boogie Nights does in feeling like PTA's version of other great director's movies, but even that is better than most director's regular stuff.

• Like 1

Okay - I will renumber the other thread later but I wanted to get some more movies up. So just know that in this thread there won't be a #313 (but the master list will look correct)

24 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I'm guessing my 90-100 were all 1 vote getters since I'm positive no one voted for stuff like Super Infra-Man , Farewell Space Battleship Yamato, The Street Fighter or Harold & Maude besides me.

James

I can see Harold and Maude getting votes.