DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

The Gilles' Wife vote is me, not Raziel.  That YouTube clip labelling it as "romantic" is kind of a chuckle as it's pretty much the opposite of romantic.

Requiem for a Dream is a big blind spot for me, I really need to get around to watching that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

The Gilles' Wife vote is me, not Raziel.

Yeah - that was a left over from when your two columns got merged - I flip flopped the names at the top

28 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Requiem for a Dream is a big blind spot for me, I really need to get around to watching that.

This. It hasn't helped motivate me that all I ever read about is how depressing it is to watch. As always, these polls are a journey of discovery and now, Caterpillar, Gilles' Wife, and Red Desert have been added to my mental Netflix queue.

• Like 1

I think Requiem touches a raw nerve that most movies about addiction don't because there's something universal there about using drugs as a tool to nurture self-delusion. Everyone has a story they tell themselves to get through each day, and as the story becomes more incongruous from reality the characters slip further away. It's not just escape; even the desperate work of scoring is preferable to confronting themselves. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

As always, these polls are a journey of discovery and now, Caterpillar, Gilles' Wife, and Red Desert have been added to my mental Netflix queue.

This is exactly why I do them.

I mean if for nothing else I now know there is an Asian version of Towering Inferno that I have to see

If TFA showed up this high, sure as shit Empire better be WAAAAAAY higher.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I mean if for nothing else I now know there is an Asian version of Towering Inferno that I have to see

Sadly, it's not longer on Netflix (where I saw it), but it is on Amazon rentals.

I'd rather all the Star Wars movies just be clumped together back here in the 300s.

On the other hand, last night I watched Female Prisoner 701 Scorpion(I got that awesome new bluray set a month or two ago) and it would have been like Top 30 for me, so who am I to talk.

GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES is probably the best looking film that I am confident is outstanding that I can never bring myself to even consider watching because it looks soul crushing. Come to think of it I really liked The Pianist the one time I watched it but it's pretty close to that territory.

As always, the bottom end of these lists is loaded with all-over-the-map interesting choices. Fun times.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that Grave of the Fireflies ended up being that low. I figured I'd be an "also vote" on that thing. Given this board's penchant for Ghibli-related films, and my lack of having seen many of them, it's surprising. Ironically, that film and one other (not Ghibli or animated for that matter) that I voted for that I expect to rank I saw for the first time on the same evening together.

EDIT: I have not seen that poster for The Pianist before (granted, I don't look for Posters on that film). That is a fantastic poster.