DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

We discussed this when I picked it for DVDVRMC, but I still don't get the affection for Goodfellas. That third act just kills that film for me. I somehow doubt a third viewing is going to solve that problem.

• Like 1

9651827253_9ef5e0a736_b

4) THE GODFATHER (1972)

Director: Francis Ford Coppola

1034 Points (17 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Cyanide (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: JH, Sublime, Hobo Joe, New Blood, (BP), Lacelle, JT, CSC, Paco, Z, Magnificent 7, Raziel, WNBB, Chaos, Ed, DFA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (99%) : METACRITIC (100)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #1 (70s)

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

We discussed this when I picked it for DVDVRMC, but I still don't get the affection for Goodfellas. That third act just kills that film for me. I somehow doubt a third viewing is going to solve that problem.

I used to hate the third act, but I realized at some point it's because there's a conscious decision to make the movie less fun and more uncomfortable and unpleasant as Henry's life spirals out of control. Scorsese essentially stole his own blueprint for Wolf of Wallstreet and didn't stick the landing in the third act nearly as well.

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Chaos is my favorite person today.

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I used to hate the third act, but I realized at some point it's because there's a conscious decision to make the movie less fun and more uncomfortable and unpleasant as Henry's life spirals out of control.

But I agree with this conclusion.

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I used to hate the third act, but I realized at some point it's because there's a conscious decision to make the movie less fun and more uncomfortable and unpleasant as Henry's life spirals out of control. Scorsese essentially stole his own blueprint for Wolf of Wallstreet and didn't stick the landing in the third act nearly as well.

I vaguely remember the final act of Wall Street outside of Leo's great physical comedy, but I don't remember it being egregiously flawed; however, Wolf of Wall Street is a movie that lives and dies by Leo's performance, which I've found intoxicating both times I've seen it.

A70-2062

3) STAR WARS: EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1980)

Director: Irvin Kershner

1161 Points (17 Votes) - HIGH VOTES: RIPPA & CSC (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Tbarrie, KLOS, DFA, WNBB, Chaos, Magnificent 7, Z, Raziel, Matt D, Paco, JT, (BP), Hobo Joe, Sublime, JH

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%) : METACRITIC (81)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #2 (70s)

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Based on today's finding my administration is going to open up an investigation as to whether Italy hacked the vote.

I'm betting on interference from Hoth. 

Edit: Nevermind, it's shockingly not first. 

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - #1 and #2 will be in the same post to keep a little of the surprise up so last post will be in a little bit

Don't forget to explain what those top 20 numbers were.

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I'm betting on interference from Hoth. 

Edit: Nevermind, it's shockingly not first. 

Remember way back when when I was like I AM SO VERY HAPPY NOW!!!!

Empire was #1 at that time.

But sadly I hadn't run the updated tally yet and that changed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

It was the code that RIPPA had to enter into the computer in the hatch every hour so that God wouldn't destroy us for the list that we had wrought. 

• Like 3

Just now, S.K.o.S. said:

Since I am pretty sure everyone knows the final two movies (just the order needs to be revealed)

The first batch of numbers was number of movies from each decade

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

3) STAR WARS: EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1980)

1161 Points (17 Votes) - HIGH VOTES: RIPPA & CSC (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Tbarrie, KLOS, DFA, WNBB, Chaos, Magnificent 7, Z, Raziel, Matt D, Paco, JT, (BP), Hobo Joe, Sublime, JH

I

giphy.gif

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Since I am pretty sure everyone knows the final two movies (just the order needs to be revealed)

For the record, I only know one of them, since I can't go to my own list to look them up.

Yeah, I'm blanking on what the other one is. One of them is my #1, which this was the first time I've questioned it being my #1 through doing this ballot, but I didn't feel super strongly about anything to unseat it.

I kind of see that changing over time.

b0d118546bd876cd5f04fbd38a487b27

2) PULP FICTION (1994)

Director: Quentin Tarantino

1219 Points (17 Votes) - HIGH VOTES: Chaos (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Ed, WNBB, KLOS, DFA, Z, Paco, CSC, JT, Lacelle, (BP), Hobo Joe, Sublime, JH, Cyanide, Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%) : METACRITIC (94)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #1 (90s V2 & V1)

https://youtu.be/s7EdQ4FqbhY

seven-samurai-movie-poster-1954-1010555503

1) SEVEN SAMURAI (Shichinin no samurai) (1954)

Director: Akira Kurosawa

1328 Points (16 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTES: Z (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Tbarrie, Ed, Execproducer, Chaos, Raziel, Matt D, Magnificent 7, New Blood, Paco, JT, (BP), Sublime, JH, Cyanide, Jae - HONORABLE MENTION: Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%) : METACRITIC (98)

Criterion Collection: YES

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #6 (50s)

https://youtu.be/7mw6LyyoeGE

• Like 5