DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

I used to be just cool with 2001 until I watched on 70mm in a packed house. Then it really clicked. Something about that experience with other people puts it on another level than just watching it on TV.

Princess Bride Forever.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I could have sworn I voted for No Country for Old Men, but maybe I took it off at the last minute.  Great film.  I know I had There Will Be Blood in my top 10.  Someone mentioned Zodiac as another great movie from 2007, but as good as all three of the above movies were from that year, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is actually the best from that year. I am fairly certain I had it in my top 5 and I don't remember it dropping here yet.  Such a great year, 2007. 

1 hour ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I could have sworn I voted for No Country for Old Men, but maybe I took it off at the last minute.  Great film.  I know I had There Will Be Blood in my top 10.  Someone mentioned Zodiac as another great movie from 2007, but as good as all three of the above movies were from that year, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is actually the best from that year. I am fairly certain I had it in my top 5 and I don't remember it dropping here yet.  Such a great year, 2007. 

You had it 6th

3 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

2007 is one of my fave years from the last while.  Last time I ranked the 2007 films I went 

05. The Assassination...Jesse James...; 04. Walk Hard; 03. Michael Clayton; 02. Lars and the Real Girl; 01. The King of Kong

studiokxx_bladerunner2

15) BLADE RUNNER (1982)

Director: Ridley Scott

803 Points (12 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Death From Above (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Ed, KLOS, Execproducer, WNBB, Chaos, CSC, JT, Magnificent 7, Hobo Joe, Cyanide, JH

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (89%) : METACRITIC (89)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #3 (80s)

573cccc49d9b95bb078b7c26c85ee786

14) RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1981)

Director: Steven Spielberg

834 Points (14 Votes - 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: CSC (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Ed, DFA, KLOS, Raziel, Matt D, Paco, Z, JT, (BP), New Blood, Hobo Joe, JH - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%) : METACRITIC (85)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #4 (80s)

030be08b95ccf4c8af57196e5b807ac2

13) DR. STRANGELOVE OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB (1964)

Director: Stanley Kubrick

835 Points (13 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Death From Above (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Ed, Raziel, Matt D, Magnificent 7, CSC, JT, Lacelle, New Blood, Hobo Joe, JH, Cyanide, Jae

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (99%) : METACRITIC (96)

Criterion Collection: YES

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #1 (60s)

ApocalypseNow_Thailand_Tongdee-1

12) APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)

Director: Francis Ford Coppola

866 Points (12 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Cyanide (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Ed, DFA, Chaos, Raziel, Z, CSC, JT, Lacelle, (BP), New Blood, JH

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%) : METACRITIC (90) (for Redux version)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #3 (70s)

Apocalypse Now not eclipsing the top 10 is a little disappointing, as the theatrical cut of that film really is a masterpiece. I've never watched Redux because I know people say the added scene really takes some away from the film. Also, I know Rippa mentioned that some surprising films did not make the cut, but are we really going to see The Conversation not make this list? I'd be a little surprised if it made the top 10 but it is definitely deserving of that honor. If anything, I made the mistake of under ranking it on my ballot.

22 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Apocalypse Now not eclipsing the top 10 is a little disappointing, as the theatrical cut of that film really is a masterpiece. I've never watched Redux because I know people say the added scene really takes some away from the film.

Redux sure is a prime example of "yeah, that definitely should have been cut."

Very surprised at how early it dropped as well. Definitely curious how the rest shakes out now.

Yeah, I am not really fond of The Shining as a Stephen King adaptation, but it works perfectly fine as a stand alone ghost movie and there are so many outstanding thematic elements going on.

The whole point of Jack Torrence in the book is that he goes from normal to batshit insane due to of the supernatural influence of the Overlook Hotel. 

Jack Nicolson is a tremendous actor and one of the best of all times, but his Jack Torrence already looks ridiculously unhinged from frame one.  The casting does not work for me.

I really like 2001 because I am a hard sci-fi geek of the highest order but even so, the middle act always tests my endurance.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark is the best action movie not named Die Hard.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I am not really fond of The Shining as a King adaptation, but it works perfectly fine as a stand alone ghost movie and there are so many outstanding thematic elements going on.

The whole point of Jack Torrence in the book is that he goes from normal to batshit insane due to of the supernatural influence of the Overlook Hotel. 

Jack Nicolson is a tremendous actor and one of the best of all times, but his Jack Torrence already looks ridiculously unhinged from frame one.  The casting does not work for me.

I really like 2001 because I am a hard sci-fi geek of the highest order but even so, the middle act always tests my endurance.

That reminds me of a video piece my wife and I did about that very subject: 

• Like 1

That Raiders poster is the best of the whole thread so far. 

I always interpreted The Shining as Torrance being already abusive before he got to the Overlook. Wendy's story about him yanking Danny's shoulder, as well as him reading a playgirl in the Overlook lobby with an article on incest on the cover. Also the way Danny was laying with his hands over his crotch in the doctor scene and the weird bear/dog giving fellatio to a suited man scene is set up in exactly the same way as when Danny was washing his hands or playing in the sink. 

Then all the dead Indians sent him completely mad. All he needed was a push.

Princess Bride at 17 is so surprising, need to re-watch that immediately, as I only had it as a HM.

I adore Princess Bride (I had it at either 4 or 5 - I don't have my sheet in front of me now) so I wish it was even higher.

I do think you are all forgetting the Andre the Giant/Wrestling board factor too.

I mean look at Wrestling with Shadows making the list. Grr....

• Like 1

A chunk of the top 20 countdown will be a surprise to me as I only have a few dead certs left. Know what I mean just having a mare getting it out.

Quickie, RIPPA. Where did my #4 vote for Unforgiven compare to other voters for it (apart from the #1 by Tbarrie)? Thanks. 

37 minutes ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

I always interpreted The Shining as Torrance being already abusive before he got to the Overlook. Wendy's story about him yanking Danny's shoulder, as well as him reading a playgirl in the Overlook lobby with an article on incest on the cover. Also the way Danny was laying with his hands over his crotch in the doctor scene and the weird bear/dog giving fellatio to a suited man scene is set up in exactly the same way as when Danny was washing his hands or playing in the sink. 

Jack is a recovering alcoholic in the book and he has a lot of anger issues, but the whole point of him taking the job at the Overlook was his desire to reconnect with his family and recover from his writer's block.  He has really good intentions that are perverted by the evil in the Overlook. 

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Quickie, RIPPA. Where did my #4 vote for Unforgiven compare to other voters for it (apart from the #1 by Tbarrie)? Thanks. 

You were 2nd

There was one other Top 20 but most of the votes were 2nd half of the ballot ones

• Like 1