DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

Tara-Mcpherson-There-Will-Be-Blood-Poster-1

22) THERE WILL BE BLOOD (2007)

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

738 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Jae (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: WNBB, Chaos, Magnificent 7, Z, Lacelle, (BP), Hobo Joe, Sublime, Cyanide

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%) : METACRITIC (92)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #3 (2000s)

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

At least it didn't crack the Top 10.  There might've been riots in the streets.

I want to see Jae have harsh words for The Natural about his high vote for Shawshank since it is practically impossible to be mad at The Natural about anything. 

You may as well hate puppies, heroic deaths, and they lived happily ever after.

You sniped the high vote from me on Star Wars

Natural sniped the high vote from me on Shawshank

• Like 2

I think I could have placed There Will Be Blood higher noticing that now that I put it at 14 on my list of course I felt the same way about Blazing Saddles (my 13) so I don't know what I would have dropped for it. 

i_nocountryposter_sm2

21) NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (2007)

Director: The Coen Brothers

742 Points (11 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Chaos (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe, Sublime, Cyanide, CSC, Lacelle, (BP), WNBB, SKOS, Ed, DFA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%) : METACRITIC (91)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #1 (2000s)

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

23) THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (1994)

Director: Frank Darabont

719 Points (11 Votes + 3 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, DFA, WNBB, Chaos, Z, Paco, CSC, JT, Caley, Cyanide- HONORABLE MENTION: Sublime, Hobo Joe, KLOS

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

22) THERE WILL BE BLOOD (2007)

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

738 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Jae (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: WNBB, Chaos, Magnificent 7, Z, Lacelle, (BP), Hobo Joe, Sublime, Cyanide

WITH A TEAR IN MY EYE.

200.gif

• Like 3

Yeah, always the bridesmaid never the bride for There Will Be Blood. I think they'll forever be linked. I wonder if the people who voted for both placed them close together or if they generally think of one and it reminds them of the other.

• Like 2

I put There Will be Blood at 14 and No Country at 60, for me No Country is very good but There Will Be Blood is an all time great, it was the second highest movie from 2000-2009 with City of God, my #2, being the only one I placed higher. 

They used to be linked to me but as time has gone on that link as weakened. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Yeah, always the bridesmaid never the bride for There Will Be Blood. I think they'll forever be linked. I wonder if the people who voted for both placed them close together or if they generally think of one and it reminds them of the other.

I consider No Country the better film, but if I ever bothered to give TWBB another viewing, I have a feeling that would change.

You honestly couldn't ask for a better year than 2007's top 3 films for me (those two films and Zodiac). 

• Like 1

Those numbers add up to 20...

I'm guessing movies by particular directors?  The top 20 contains 4 movies by Scorsese, 6 by Spielberg, 4 by Tarantino... something like that?  Actually kind of works if the directors are listed alphabetically by last name, but it seems unlikely that only six total directors would be represented in the top 20.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Those numbers add up to 20...

I'm guessing movies by particular directors?  The top 20 contains 4 movies by Scorsese, 6 by Tarantino... something like that?  Seems unlikely that only six total directors would be represented in the top 20 though.

If directors: 2) Tarantino, 1) Eastwood, 3) Ford Coppola?

Okay - I forgot this until I started working on the next batch of movies.

I will only get to #11 today as there is a tie for 10 and 11 - so technically there will be a Top 11

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

NCfOM was my #9, and TWBB was #12, so I definitely bear this out.

50 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh I made this big thing about how Ethan is always listed as "uncredited" and then No Country shows up and ruins that narrative

IIRC, Guild rules had Joel listed as director and Ethan has producer early in their career, until they had X amount of collaborations (or the rules changed) so they could share credit.

My original tease wasn't about Directors but since y'all brought it up: here is a tease about that

4 Directors account for 11 remaining movies

9 Directors account for the other 9