DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

The plan was to finish on Wednesday - 10 today, tomorrow and Wednesday

But between a sick dog and a sick wife - it is a little tough.

I might at least get us to 25 before I leave for Gamestop

terminator-2-movie-print

28) TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY (1991)

Director: James Cameron

659 Points (11 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Paco (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA,WNBB, Chaos, Raziel, Z, CSC, (BP), Hobo Joe, Cyanide, Natural - HONORABLE MENTION: DFA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%) : METACRITIC (75)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #9 (90s V2), #21 (90s V1)

• Like 1

mondo_wall•e_3

27) WALL-E (2008)

Director: Andrew Stanton

668 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Tbarrie (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Chaos, Natural, RIPPA, Paco, CSC, WNBB, JT, Hobo Joe, Cyanide

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%) : METACRITIC (94)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #14 (2000s)

• Like 1

krause_future

26) BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985)

Director: Robert Zemeckis

668 Points (10 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Chaos (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, KLOS, Matt D, Z, Paco, JT, CSC, (BP), Hobo Joe - HONORABLE MENTION: Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%) : METACRITIC (86)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #13 (80s)

Fuck. Back to the Future ALSO should have been on my list. I swore I had it on there.

I recently watched it with my nine year old son, and he said "Oh no, you can't go back and change the timeline. It'll be like FLASHPOINT."

What a dweeb.

The last act is one of the best final acts in terms of tension. I mean there are soooo many tasks that have to be completed and each one has a near impossible obstacle when it's time to complete them, and the whole time you're yelling "BUT THERE'S NO TIME TO PLAY JOHNNY B. GOOOOOD!"

I still cheer when George clinches his fist before he knocks the fuck out of Biff.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Fuck. Back to the Future ALSO should have been on my list. I swore I had it on there.

I recently watched it with my nine year old son, and he said "Oh no, you can't go back and change the timeline. It'll be like FLASHPOINT."

What a dweeb.

The last act is one of the best final acts in terms of tension. I mean there are soooo many tasks that have to be completed and each one has a near impossible obstacle when it's time to complete them, and the whole time you're yelling "BUT THERE'S NO TIME TO PLAY JOHNNY B. GOOOOOD!"

I still cheer when George clinches his fist before he knocks the fuck out of Biff.

That's probably why I voted it so high. I bought the first Blu-Ray box set of the trilogy they released like 7 years ago, and the transfer of those films are absolutely pristine. I told people at the time while rewatching them that you could swear they filmed those movies today. That first film is the height of movie magic, and it also just makes you fucking depressed to see Michael J Fox in the shape that he's in today.

Happy to see Alien hit #30. I've been slowly creeping through these last couple pages because I was thinking Rippa would pick a scary as fuck poster for it and then we get a fairly cartoony one and "the courage of despair" haha

BTW, new trailer for Life is confirming it will be Alien 2 in a year in which we actually get an Alien 2

Speaking of scary, The Night of the Hunter is on TCM right now for what is basically Villains Month and that underwater scene is absolutely goddamn terrifying. As Stephen King wrote, it is a classic image of daylight terror, and one that truly does grab you by the short and curlies. They also showed Badlands this morning and that movie is so, so good. 

EDIT: Damn, this whole week is packed with movies that made the list. Thursday into Friday hits the horror/fantasy/sci-fi pretty hard. Unrelated, but freakin Hausu (House) is playing on Sunday at 1 AM Central!

47) Full Metal Jacket. Football saying goes a game of two halves, same can be said about this film. The first half is great training the recruits. After that, the second section is a step down. #94.

42) The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight is an incredible movie; not just a comic book movie (the best ever) but one of any genre and from any decade. Heath Ledger’s Joker is memorable. Film missed out on the Academy Awards it deserved. I meant to rank it #2 rather than #3. Fuck.

41) Memento. The story it tells and how it tells it made for one of the most pleasurable experiences I’ve had watching any film.

Two Christopher Nolan films back to back and I’m the highest voter.

40) One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest. The film won five Oscars. What a downer of an ending. My #75.

39) Toy Story. Where it all began for Pixar. The first Toy Story film is the best entry in the Toy Story trilogy and there’s only one Pixar film I rate more. #29.

37) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. A look at memories, both the good and the bad. This film was the last to fall from my #11-20 bracket placing #17.

34) Heat. The battle and obsession between two people on opposite sides of the law. #89.

31) Psycho. Creepy and historical, just one place outside of my top 20.

Fargo didn’t do it for me. I feel it and No Country for Old Men are overrated.

29) Rocky. The champion vs. the underdog. Two memorable montages as Rocky trains set to Gonna Fly Now and the music during the fight as Apollo knockdowns Rocky who gets up despite getting told by Mickey to stay down as Adrian watches. Apollo thinks he’s finally won to see Rocky up, Apollo shakes his head in disbelief and Rocky deliver the body shots. I’m legit getting chills down my body thinking about it. #41.

28) Terminator 2: Judgment Day. I think back to the start of the movie seeing the war between men and machines, the place on fire as the awesome terminator theme plays with the opening credits. The battle between the T-800 and T-1000 and the ending. Terminator 2: Judgment Day is a contender for best sequel ever made. My #33 compared to the Terminator’s #81 placement.

27) WALL-E. Tbarrie pipped me to the highest vote by one spot. Pixar’s best ever movie, a stunning film. WALL·E deservedly won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature and it should have had an Academy Award nomination for Best Picture.

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The plan was to finish on Wednesday - 10 today, tomorrow and Wednesday

I might at least get us to 25 before I leave for Gamestop

Best wishes.

I hope some of you checked your channel guide and spotted all of the good shit showing up on Turner Classic Movies during the next few days.  Quite a few movies that made (or should make) this poll will be showcased.

Not surprising since I totally forgot that TCM usually schedules a lengthy marathon of Best Picture noms and winners around Oscars time.

M (11AM EST) and Double Indemnity (8PM EST) are on today the 21st, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is on tomorrow the 22nd (8PM EST) and Touch of Evil Extended Edition clocks in at 12:15 in the fucking morning on Thursday the 23rd

Then there is Bonnie & Clyde (6:30 AM EST), The Third Man (2:15 PM EST), Casablanca (6PM EST), Gojira (8PM EST) and King Kong (10PM EST).

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari comes on Friday morning the 24th at 8:45 AM EST and then there is The Wizard of Oz (8PM EST), LOTR Return Of The King (10PM EST) and  A Clockwork Orange comes on early Saturday morning the 25th at 1AM EST.

There are probably some more films that made the poll coming on soon.  Check the schedule at TCM.com and set your DVRs accordingly.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

I could write pages and pages of exposition on why I believe that Kwai is a great movie but given the phrasing of the initial question, the likely response would likely be, "your opinion sucks."

I can't really get angry with Jae because I pull this sort of thing at least once a day with the hope that people realize that I am fairly good natured and am just messing with them.

It's well, uh, it's my parents favorite film. That's all I got.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I hear ya.  My mom's arthritis is flaring up thanks to the change of seasons, so I've been running a lot of errands lately. 

Hopefully I can tie sixty minutes of game time together this afternoon after work.

• Like 1

Drew-Millward-Big-Lebowski-Movie-Poster-2015

25) THE BIG LEBOWSKI (1998)

Director: The Coen Brothers

679 Points (13 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe, Cyanide, Sublime, CSC, (BP), Lacelle, Z, Raziel, Chaos, DFA, KLOS, Tbarrie

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (81%) : METACRITIC (69)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #6 (90s V2), #10 (90s V1)

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I hope some of you checked your channel guide and spotted all of the good shit showing up on Turner Classic Movies during the next few days. 

M (11AM EST) and Double Indemnity (8PM EST) are on today the 21st,

For anyone keeping score this is a movie someone ranked as their number one favorite film. So if you haven't seen it....

• Like 1

It is interesting that IMDB always lists Ethan as having "uncredited" director credits. Never noticed that until this project.

Also - from here on out - everything is over 700 points

2ca8747d13f2f2ff028a80d6caf78113

24) STAR WARS: EPISODE IV - A NEW HOPE (1977)

Director: George Lucas

718 Points (13 Votes + 2 HM) - HIGH VOTE: JT (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, JH, Hobo Joe, Tbarrie, Ed, DFA, KLOS, CHAOS, Z, Paco, CSC, (BP) - HONORABLE MENTION: Sublime, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%) : METACRITIC (92)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #5 (70s)

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I hear ya.  My mom's arthritis is flaring up thanks to the change of seasons, so I've been running a lot of errands lately.

Hopefully I can tie sixty minutes of game time together this afternoon after work.

Best wishes mate.

• Like 1

the-shawshank-redemption3

23) THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (1994)

Director: Frank Darabont

719 Points (11 Votes + 3 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, DFA, WNBB, Chaos, Z, Paco, CSC, JT, Caley, Cyanide- HONORABLE MENTION: Sublime, Hobo Joe, KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%) : METACRITIC (80)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #4 (90s V2), #3 (90s V1)

• Like 1

At least it didn't crack the Top 10.  There might've been riots in the streets.

I want to see Jae have harsh words for The Natural about his high vote for Shawshank since it is practically impossible to be mad at The Natural about anything. 

You may as well hate puppies, heroic deaths, and they lived happily ever after.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Last film drop of mine was #27's WALL-E. See how long that lasts.

Fucking commentators curse that. Wanted to see The Shawshank Redemption hang around longer with how it was pissing people off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1