DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I thought about trying to put together an answer, about Guiness' wonderfully one-dimensional performance, maybe the most vivid of its kind ever on the screen, of the way the movie balances a drama focusing on how humanity both buckles and perseveres under the weight of captive oppression and a daring action movie with Holden's roguish heroic American contrasting with Guiness' stubborn mule British stiff upper lip, about how it's shot and how the jungle becomes a character unto itself, etc. etc., but I probably wouldn't do the thing justice.

I could write pages and pages of exposition on why I believe that Kwai is a great movie but given the phrasing of the initial question, the likely response would likely be, "your opinion sucks."

I can't really get angry with Jae because I pull this sort of thing at least once a day with the hope that people realize that I am fairly good natured and am just messing with them.

Just wait until the ranking for Shawshank is posted.   I should've put it at #1 on my ballot out of pure spite.

Mark will chime in with his comments on the placement of Touch Of Evil as soon as he wipes the foam from his mouth.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

That's pretty much my review of most of Welles work.

Even as a Welles mark, on the whole, might be more misses than hits as a director.

Off the top of my head, Kane, Ambersons (such as it is), Chimes (the restored version) and Lady from Shanghai are the home runs. Touch of Evil probably a stand up triple. Maybe a triple for Macbeth (restored). Stand up double for the Stranger and Othello. And so on. 

Wait.

I actually wanted to know about Bridge Over River Kwai. I liked it. But when it was over I was like "Cool that's that." I was legitimately wondering what it was that affected people more deeply than it affected me. I think because I'm Japanese I'm just naturally apprehensive about enjoying it, so I was wondering what other people thought.

I generally don't bother asking questions if I don't want the answer. That's why I asked about River Kwai and not about Shawshank.

I think part is that is from the epic panaroma era, and can be lumped in with Lawrence of Arabis and Dr Zhavago. And part is the post War zeitgeist and capital B Britishness. Part of also the technical achievements of making it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think part is that is from the epic panaroma era, and can be lumped in with Lawrence of Arabis and Dr Zhavago. And part is the post War zeitgeist and capital B Britishness. Part of also the technical achievements of making it. 

I wonder how many of the River Kwai voters have seen The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. I would definitely recommend it to those who haven't. It's certainly up there with Lawrence and Kwai as far as beautiful looking, war era, Big B British movies go. 

• Like 1

They both were Movie Club selections but the time between the two picks was really really wide so I can easily see folks watching one or the other (or neither)

40 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I wonder how many of the River Kwai voters have seen The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. I would definitely recommend it to those who haven't. It's certainly up there with Lawrence and Kwai as far as beautiful looking, war era, Big B British movies go. 

Was it in this thread we were talking recently about Powell and Pressburger? I think Colonel Blimp is probably my favorite movie of theirs.

• Like 1

Probably this thread.

Thank goodness the German graphic designer slapped that giant egg on the poster so it was crystal clear what was going on.

Also the translation of the text: 
"Alien makes the universe a witch 's cauldron for a woman who is fighting for life with the courage of despair"

Germans crack me up man.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is what the Germans thought the movie was about

ALIEN_DAS_UNHEIMLICHE_WESEN_AUS_EINER_FREMDEN_WELT_-_German_Poster_4_0

Translation of the text: "Alien turns space into a boiling pot for a woman who is fighting for her life with courage born out of desperation."

EDIT: jaedmc was faster than me

gmmwrjb9

29) ROCKY (1976)

Director: John G. Avildsen

638 Points (12 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Paco (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: WNBB, Ed, Execproducer, Chaos, Raziel, CSC, JT, Lacelle, Sublime, Caley, Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%) : METACRITIC (69)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #6 (70s)

• Like 1