DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

On 3/17/2017 at 8:13 PM, RIPPA said:

JAWS_ILLO-FINAL_S_poster_e-689x1024

43) JAWS 

This art is so great because suddenly I can see the trio as basically the same as every group of kids in every Spielberg movie about some kids finding something scary. There's the science-nerd/gadget/inventor kid, the introspective kid who is too sensitive but can see things others can't, and the tough scary outcast kid who ends up doing the heavy lifting.

I actually never thought of them that way and now I have a reason to watch this movie again.

• Like 2

Heat_Poster_Final72_blog

34) HEAT (1995)

Director: Michael Mann

610 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Cyanide, Natural, WNBB, DFA, Lacelle, (BP), Magnificent 7, Hobo Joe, Sublime

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (86%) : METACRITIC (76)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #12 (90s V2), #9 (90s V1)

poster.the.bridge.on.the.river.kwai.1957.video.compilation.best.picture.evolution.by.academy.of.motion.picture.arts.and.sciences

33) THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (1957)

Director: David Lean

613 Points (9 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JT (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: WNBB, DFA, Raziel, Matt D, Chaos, Z, Caley, JH

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #32 (50s)

blazing-saddles-poster-4

32) BLAZING SADDLES (1974)

Director: Mel Brooks

615 Points (10 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: WNBB (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Ed, Chaos, Raziel, Matt D, CSC, (BP), Sublime, JH - HONORABLE MENTION: Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #23 (70s)

psycho

31) PSYCHO (1960)

Director: Alfred Hitchcock

620 Points (12 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Raziel (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Execproducer, DFA, Z, Ed, JT, Hobo Joe, Sublime, Caley, JH, Jae, Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #10 (60s)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Control said:

You guys and HEAT. I dunno man.

Word. I forgot that movie existed. And then it showed up and I was like "oh not only does it still exist but people think about it enough to list it in their Top 100 films." 

....I just watched Blazing Saddles last week for the first time. It's tremendous.

What the fuck do people even like about Bridge Over River Kwai? It's an okay movie, but what about it really scratches your itch?

The total number of people that will have voted for Shawshank is going to be outrageous.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2017 at 10:23 AM, Death From Above said:

I can't wait to hear from 20 people that didn't vote for either Ingmar Bergman's best movie OR Who Framed Roger Rabbit about how my ballot is bad.

This has certainly proven to be the most correct and accurate thing I've said on this board in many years. Enjoy your endless whining, I think I'll stick to the master results thread from here on out.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

38) ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (C'era una volta il West) (1968)

Director: Sergio Leone

593 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTES: Z and Magnificent 7 (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Execproducer, Chaos, New Blood, Caley, JH, Cyanide

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%) : METACRITIC (80)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #4 (60s)

My #4.  Incredible flick.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

35) FARGO (1996)

Director: Joel & Ethan Cohen

613 Points (13 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: DFA, KLOS, WNBB, Matt D, CSC, Z, Lacelle, (BP), Hobo Joe, Sublime, Cyanide, Jae - HONORABLE MENTION: Ed

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%) : METACRITIC (85)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #5 (90s V2), #4 (90s V1)

Surprised I was the high vote at #11.  Just watched this about a month back.  

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

34) HEAT (1995)

Director: Michael Mann

610 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Cyanide, Natural, WNBB, DFA, Lacelle, (BP), Magnificent 7, Hobo Joe, Sublime

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (86%) : METACRITIC (76)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #12 (90s V2), #9 (90s V1)

Also watched this about a month back.  perfect.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

33) THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (1957)

Director: David Lean

613 Points (9 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JT (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: WNBB, DFA, Raziel, Matt D, Chaos, Z, Caley, JH

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #32 (50s)

My #98.  I need to watch it again.  I watched it on this bizarre DVD copy I have that plays the entire movie, then replays the entire first half again after the film has ended.  So when I was watching it for the first time I was going "This feels like the beginning of the end, how much time is left?  Wait, how is there still two and a half hours?  How long is this!?"

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

31) PSYCHO (1960)

Director: Alfred Hitchcock

620 Points (12 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Raziel (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Execproducer, DFA, Z, Ed, JT, Hobo Joe, Sublime, Caley, JH, Jae, Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #10 (60s)

My #28.  My favourite Hitchcock.

Shawshank will potentially crack the Top 40? Holy fuck.

I know it did on my ballot, but I expected a lot more hate from everyone else.

I was the highest vote for Wizard of Oz and OFOTCN, but I wasn't the high vote for Psycho?

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Because I was braindead trying to quickly throw my ballot together (it definitely shows), I regrettably put it on my ballot with the only logic being that I do watch 10-15 minutes of it when it's on cable. I watch a lot of lesser films like that on cable, however.

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Because I was braindead trying to quickly throw my ballot together (it definitely shows), I regrettably put it on my ballot with the only logic being that I do watch 10-15 minutes of it when it's on cable. I watch a lot of lesser films like that on cable, however.

I tend to give it unfair bonus points because it is one of the few film conversions of material by Stephen King that is pretty good and is fairly faithful to the source.

I love The Shining as a movie, but it blows goats as an adaptation of the novel.  Don't get me started on Nicholson's casting.

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I was the highest vote for Wizard of Oz and OFOTCN, but I wasn't the high vote for Psycho?

It's the TNT bump. You people all watched too much Nitro in the 90s.

13 hours ago, jaedmc said:

What the fuck do people even like about Bridge Over River Kwai? It's an okay movie, but what about it really scratches your itch?

I have phrased enough questions this way to know that you really don't care about the answer. 

No harm, no foul since this is SOP for nearly everyone that posts on this board.

I thought about trying to put together an answer, about Guiness' wonderfully one-dimensional performance, maybe the most vivid of its kind ever on the screen, of the way the movie balances a drama focusing on how humanity both buckles and perseveres under the weight of captive oppression and a daring action movie with Holden's roguish heroic American contrasting with Guiness' stubborn mule British stiff upper lip, about how it's shot and how the jungle becomes a character unto itself, etc. etc., but I probably wouldn't do the thing justice.