DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

AP1083-singing-in-the-rain-belgian-musical-movie-poster

69) SIGNIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)

Director: Stanley Donen, Gene Kelly

409 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Matt D (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Ed, Execproducer, Death From Above, JT, New Blood, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #30 (50s)

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I'm glad we're getting all of my top movies out of the way so that there's room at the top for Fast and the Furious 5 and Meet the Fockers.

You mispelled Guardians of the Galaxy. 

• Like 2

the_matrix_minimalistic_movie_poster_by_mortikar-d65fs7i

67) THE MATRIX (1999)

Director: The Wachowski Sisters

412 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Cyanide (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, KLOS, Chaos, Z, Paco, CSC, Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (87%) : METACRITIC (73)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #28 (90s V2), #27 (90s V1)

717499627dab01930f322912998468ca

65) SCHINDLER'S LIST (1993)

Director: Steven Spielberg

420 Points (6 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: JT (#14) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Death From Above, Raziel, Z, (BP), JH - HONORABLE MENTION: RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%) : METACRITIC (93)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #16 (90s V2), #17 (90s V1)

Schindler's List was too hard for me to attempt to rank so I took what JT would say was the coward's way out.

How do you rank a good movie you never, ever want to watch again?

10438697_656239763900_320892856_n

64) YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974)

Director: Mel Brooks

424 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#30) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Death From Above, Ed, Raziel, CSC, (BP), New Blood, Sublime, Caley, JH

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #27 (70s)

• Like 2

sunset_boulevard_ver3_xlg

62) SUNSET BOULEVARD (Blvd.) (1950)

Director: Billy Wilder

446 Points (6 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Ed, Matt D, Execproducer, New Blood, Z - HONORABLE MENTION: Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%) : METACRITIC (N/A)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #25 (50s)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

70) BOOGIE NIGHTS (1997)

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

405 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Chaos (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: CSC, Lacelle, New Blood, Caley, Cyanide

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%) : METACRITIC (85)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #14 (90s V2), #6 (90s V1)

I had this at #56 and I'm kinda shocked/happy that I did.  Movie keeps turning up on the movie channels the last month or two and I always end up watching some of it.  Here's a great oral history on the film from Grantland.  My favourite part

Burt was someone that I was thinking of when I was writing it, and then Warren Beatty read it and called me and said, “I think I want to be in this.” We talked for a couple of weeks until ultimately he decided against it. I started to figure out that Warren really wanted to play Dirk Diggler. “You don’t really want to play Jack Horner. You want to be the kid in this movie.” He said, “Yeah.”

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

69) SIGNIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)

Director: Stanley Donen, Gene Kelly

409 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Matt D (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Ed, Execproducer, Death From Above, JT, New Blood, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #30 (50s)

I didn't recall voting for this, but there it is right at #83.  With the vocal supporters this film has, I'm surprised it wasn't a bit higher.

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

64) YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974)

Director: Mel Brooks

424 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#30) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Death From Above, Ed, Raziel, CSC, (BP), New Blood, Sublime, Caley, JH

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #27 (70s)

Yeah, I had this at #39 and didn't vote for any other Frankenstein film.  Yeah I did that.

• Like 1

7a545f3156be241b279b468c5c48f4b5

61) THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991)

Director: Jonathan Demme

453 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Cyanide (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, JT, Ed, DFA, CSC, Lacelle, (BP), Hobo Joe, Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%) : METACRITIC (84)

Criterion Collection: YES

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #8 (90s V2), #16 (90 V1)

• Like 1

I love Lawrence of Arabia very much.

When people say "they don't make films like that anymore" it's always the first one that springs to mind to me, because the idea of 21st century mainstream film making letting David Lean wander off into the desert and film a 3 and a half hour epic about A British Person without any pop songs in sight is just impossible to even imagine right now. And that's a damn shame.

Alright, that locks it -- I'm going to see Young Frankenstein on Sunday at the theater. The reminder is appreciated. 

Ralph Fiennes as Amon Goeth is on the short list for most despicable villain ever in cinema history. I don't even think there are any portrayals of Hitler that make you hate him as much. And this is me saying this having seen the film one (1) time on TV, uncensored, in high school which I'll never do again. 

64) Young Frankenstein. Good to see the film made 10 ballots. A very funny film. Abe...normal!

63) Die Hard. Best action film of all time. One of the best Christmas movies as well. Amazing this was Alan Rickman's first feature film and what a debut. Hans Gruber is a classic baddie. I had this #11, one behind RIPPA's high vote.

61) The Silence of the Lambs. A horror thriller with great performances by Anthony Hopkins, Jodie Foster and Ted Levine. Film earnt the five Oscar wins. My #36.