DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

Poster - Adventures of Robin Hood, The_23

73) THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938)

Director: Michael Curtiz, William Keighley

386 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#28) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Tbarrie, Execproducer, Matt D, Magnificent 7, JT, JH

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%) : METACRITIC (97)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: N/A

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Robin Hood in the Top 100 is no doubt going to be the biggest surprise for me. That movie is dope as hell too. Fucking gorgeous.

I don't remember who picked it for the Movie Club but that is how I learned about it and fell in love with it

Same thing with Harakiri

That may be how I watched it too now that I think about it.

If any of the Robin Hood lovers haven't seen it, I also recommend The Three Musketeers with Gene Kelly and Vincent Fucking Price. (also Lana Turner and a young Murder She Wrote.) I kind of put them together as a great double feature.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

That may be how I watched it too now that I think about it.

If any of the Robin Hood lovers haven't seen it, I also recommend The Three Musketeers with Gene Kelly and Vincent Fucking Price. (also Lana Turner and a young Murder She Wrote.) I kind of put them together as a great double feature.

Three Musketeers made my list. So much energy and fun, and Technicolor at its most glorious: 

Spoiler

Gig-Young-Robert-Coote-Gene-Kelly-Van-He

Guest The Magnificent 7

So not one other person votes for the original Mad Max in their top 100, The Road Warrior barely scrapes together any other votes, yet all you hipsters come out in droves to vote for Fury Road (which I put highly as well, but come on). 

Very few things were going to make me come out of hiding in my bunker, but that was one of them.  The other was that some people think American Beauty is in a top 100 instead of a bottom 100. 

Thanks for doing this, RIPPA.  You've done a man's job, sir.

I tried to post a picture of Ed Olmos from Blade Runner under that line, but clearly I've been away too long to do anything like that correctly.

100) Amelie. This dropped on my drafts finishing up as an honourable mention. Still like the film.

97) Up. Another honourable mention. THAT opening montage, man. The feels. Moving ending as well. I prefer a number of Pixar films to Up.

96) American Psycho. Corporate excesses and greed. Christian Bale's best performance. #37.

I won't copy what I've already said about LOTR trilogy making my honourable mentions.

81) This Is Spinal Tap. Mockumentary following a band. Stonehenge, amps, love pump. Cool to tie Highest Votes with Death From Above on #42.

78) The Incredibles. Not surprised it's done well for fans of animation and comic books at DVDVR MB. Film closed out the halfway mark on my ballot.

77) The Departed. I watched this remake of Infernal Affairs before the original. Having watched both, I prefer Infernal Affairs. I voted for it. I do like The Departed still to make an honourable mention.

76) Se7en. A dark psychological thriller based around the seven deadly scenes. I said The Usual Suspects twist ending is the best in film history, this is up there and both came out in 1995!

71) Fight Club just made my ballot, one up from the bottom.

Fury Road being above some classics also made me rage. If we did this again in 5 years it would not make the list. I thought it was pretty disposable if fun action movie. Surprised I wasn't the high vote for The Exorcist or LA Confidential. 

The biggest problem I had with it on first watch when I was 18 or 19 was that I had seen Men in Tights a thousand times on HBO a few years earlier, and unlike other Brooks movies, that's almost scene for scene past a few Prince of Thieves riffs. It was very offputting at first.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

So not one other person votes for the original Mad Max in their top 100, The Road Warrior barely scrapes together any other votes, yet all you hipsters come out in droves to vote for Fury Road (which I put highly as well, but come on). 

Okay, What The Fuck. Seriously people. MAD MAX IS NOT ON THIS LIST?! And I'll be damned if it's anywhere higher up... you tarnish the memory of the Night Rider and you should all be punished. Remember him when you look at the night sky 

Nightrider1.jpg

RIP

And also, all of you putting fucking Fight Club so high... ugh

20 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Very few things were going to make me come out of hiding in my bunker, but that was one of them.  The other was that some people think American Beauty is in a top 100 instead of a bottom 100. 

I think it is pretty obvious that my ballot was full of fail when it comes to the Mad Max movies.  See also Halloween.

As I said before,  my feelings about American Beauty have changed over time. 

It's pretty easy for young, single film snobs to have intense cerebral discussions about Lester (ie. He's just imprinting on Angela.  She's a muse to him.  She's a walking representation of the things Lester wants out of life but does not have the courage to pursue) and then later on when those film snobs get married and have a daughter the same age as Angela, shit gets really different. 

If I caught a guy like Lester sniffing around my kid, I'd fucking kill him with my bare hands.

• Like 1

On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 2:59 PM, RIPPA said:

Here is where I point out that on the original 60s poll - the high vote for Great Escape was cast by Caley

As you notice... he didn't vote for it here.

Ouch...

Whoops.  There were a couple movies where I wasn't sure if I had lined it up wrong or deleted films by accident while cobbling together a spreadsheet for this one.  I suspect it got accidentally deleted.

On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 3:04 PM, RIPPA said:

101) THE SEARCHERS (1956)

Director: John Ford

298 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Ed (#22) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley, JH, Magnificent 7, New Blood - HONORABLE MENTION: Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #8 (50s)

#89 though I suspect that was a mistake.  I mean, I liked 'The Searchers' when I saw it, but haven't re-watched it in like 10 years and can't remember anything about it save for the final shot.  I suspect I mixed it up with one of the other Wayne westerns like 'Red River' that was supposed to be on my list but wasn't.

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 10:45 AM, RIPPA said:

100) AMELIE (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain) (2001)

Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet

302 Points (4 Votes + 2 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Death From Above (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Sublime, JT - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (89%) : METACRITIC (69)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #8 (2000s)

Once upon a time this would've been Top 5 for me but I haven't been able to watch it in years.  If it was a little shorter, it would probably be higher on my list.

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 3:54 PM, RIPPA said:

95) DAYS OF HEAVEN (1978)

Director: Terrence Malick

311 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Chaos (#23) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Death From Above, Magnificent 7, New Blood, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%) : METACRITIC (93)

Criterion Collection: YES

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #33 (70s)

My #46.  It was on TCM shortly after I submitted my ballot and I watched 10-15 minutes and went "*DREAMY SIGH* I should have had it higher!"

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 4:00 PM, RIPPA said:

94) HER (2013)

Director: Spike Jonze

312 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#22) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Z, Hobo Joe, Sublime, Cyanide

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%) : METACRITIC (90)

Good flick!  I love re-watching this one.  It was on the movie channels for a while and I couldn't NOT stop and watch it.

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 4:05 PM, RIPPA said:

93) RIO BRAVO (1959)

Director: Howard Hawks

314 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#18) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: WNBB, (BP), New Blood

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #15 (50s)

That's a pretty disparate two flicks to be back-to-back high votes on.  'Rio Bravo' is excellent.

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 6:56 AM, RIPPA said:

89) ALIENS (1986)

Director: James Cameron

330 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Cyanide (#19) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Death From Above, Raziel, Z, Magnificent 7, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%) : METACRITIC (87)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #11 (80s)

My #85.  I like it better than the original.  Might just be the scariest film I've ever seen.

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 7:56 AM, RIPPA said:

81) THIS IS SPINAL TAP (1984)

Director: Rob Reiner

346 Points (9 Votes) - HIGH VOTES: Natural, Death From Above (#42) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Ed, Tbarrie, Chaos, (BP), Hobo Joe, Sublime, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%) : METACRITIC (85)

Criterion Collection: YES

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #20 (80s)

My #44.  Great comedy.  One of the funniest movies ever.

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 8:01 AM, RIPPA said:

80) MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015)

Director: George Miller

346 Points (5 Votes + 3 HM) - HIGH VOTE: CSC (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Chaos, Z, Magnificent 7, Cyanide - HONORABLE MENTION: RIPPA, Matt D, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%) : METACRITIC (90)

There was a stretch this weekend where it was on Friday afternoon, Friday evening, Saturday evening, Sunday afternoon and Monday night.  And I watched 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 14 minutes, 20 minutes and 90 minutes of it, respectively, each time it was on.  It probably should have been on my list, proper.

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

74) COOL HAND LUKE (1967)

Director: Stuart Rosenberg

377 Points (9 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Ed (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, CHAOS, Matt D, Magnificent 7, New Blood, Cyanide, Caley, Jae

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #11 (70s)

My #86.  I had to put it on my list or my Mom would be upset with me.

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

72) NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959)

Director: Alfred Hitchcock

393 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Matt D (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Death From Above, Chaos, Raziel, Z, JT

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #11 (50s)

Whoops.  That should have been on my list as it's basically my 3rd favourite Hitchcock.

20 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Thanks for doing this, RIPPA.  You've done a man's job, sir.

I tried to post a picture of Ed Olmos from Blade Runner under that line, but clearly I've been away too long to do anything like that correctly.

I gave both Fury Road and Mad Max HMs but I should have given 'Max Max 2' on there instead of the original because I'm not as crazy about the first one as I am of the second.

Also, I forgot how much this board LOVES David Fincher.

• Like 1

o-PT-ANDERSON-MOVIE-POSTERS-570

70) BOOGIE NIGHTS (1997)

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

405 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Chaos (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: CSC, Lacelle, New Blood, Caley, Cyanide

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%) : METACRITIC (85)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #14 (90s V2), #6 (90s V1)