DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There is a very NSFW version of that poster but y'all can't handle Kate Upton's areolas

That is the wrong thing to see on your smartphone at seven in the morning when you're on your way to work.

And knowing human nature and the internet, why would you even mention that and send nerds scrambling to Google?

I am not so surprised that I wasn't the high vote for Gojira as I am that JH wasn't the high vote.

17 minutes ago, J.H. said:

RIPPA is not the only guy who hates RotJ. I just don;t buy Luke skywalker as Jedi Badass and the stooging of Han was intolerable.

James

I hated Return of the KING - not Return of the JEDI so you aren't even in the right franchise

I voted for Jedi

So you are on JH Island on that one

• Like 1

Man, 110-101 is half crummy half great. Godzilla probably should have been on my list.

I get great pleasure in seeing Aguirre rank ahead of  Star Wars: Return of the Crummy  and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Crummy, and Saving Private Crummy.

SNOBBIN' OUT.

The over/under for number of movies from my list that show up in the top 100 is like 2.5.  I'm very sure that one in particular will be there, then there are two more that are maybes.  Of course there are several that could completely surprise me.

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I hated Return of the KING - not Return of the JEDI so you aren't even in the right franchise

I voted for Jedi

So you are on JH Island on that one

and I have egg on my face.. still hate Jedi though BUT I do hate all 3 LotR movies anyway. It is a very lonel island...

James

• Like 1

Great Escape was the movie that made me fall in love with cinema. I vividly remember it being on the TV when I was like 7 and being babysat by my Uncle. He must've been thanking his lucky stars he found something that would keep a 7 year old boy quiet and sat still for 2 hours 52 minutes. It's also where I fell in love with Steve McQueen especially, but really the whole cast. My mind was blown that Big X was the white haired dude from Jurassic Park. 

Also that's 5 of my top 20 gone, I feel confident that 10 out of the remaining 15 will make the list, pretty happy with that I guess.

I had an internal debate on the LotR movies (and another movie that probably won't make the list): how highly should I rank an adaptation where most of its awesomeness stemmed from reminding me how awesome the source material was?

In the end, I decided to simply go with how much the movie entertained me rather than over-analyze exactly why they entertained me. So the three LotR movies all ranked highly.

106) Saving Private Ryan. Only watched this for the first time a few years ago. The first 20 minutes are particularly powerful. #45.

105) Jurassic Park. First film I watched at the cinema, liking dinosaurs and how my Mum loved it helped it's cause so I wound up the HV.

104) Almost Famous. Turns out when I watched this for the Best of 2000-2009 Films, Sky showed the longest version. One of the finds of the project for me, great film. Hoped it wouldn't show yet. Thanks to voters of it. Brian Fowler taking part would've made the film chart higher.

As noted earlier, I gave honourable mentions to all three LOTR films and the order they've appeared in, I had the same.

ise_amelie

100) AMELIE (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain) (2001)

Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet

302 Points (4 Votes + 2 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Death From Above (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Sublime, JT - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (89%) : METACRITIC (69)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #8 (2000s)

• Like 3

How fitting that the worst LotR movie and the worst movie of the original Star Wars trilogy are back-to-back (and have almost the same name).

Interesting that the first LotR movie seems to be the high ratest one. My favorite movie of the trilogy was The Two Towers. It has much better pacing than Fellowship and it builds to a single climax, the battle at the end, a battle that does not do way too much (and goes on way too long) as the battle in RotK. Plus it has awesomeness like Christopher Lee, Rohan looking as perfect as it gets and the best Gollum stuff of the trilogy. The only deviation of the book that really hurts is the Entmoot.

• Like 1

7bc63a7d9087523aa27bed405b96f163

97) UP (2009)

Director: Pete Docter, Bob Peterson

310 Points (6 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Tbarrie (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Z, Matt D, CSC, Hobo Joe - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%) : METACRITIC (88)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #20 (2000s)

• Like 1