DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

princess-mononoke-movie-poster-1997-1020668687

115) PRINCESS MONONOKE (Mononoke-hime) (1997)

Director: Hayao Miyazaki

268 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Tbarrie (#18) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley, JH, New Blood, 7

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%) : METACRITIC (76)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #54 (90s V2), #34 (90s V1)

51+PDkcHfZL

114) THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES (1976)

Director: Clint Eastwood

270 Points (4 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: JH (#22) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Magnificent 7, Death From Above, New Blood - HONORABLE MENTION: Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #32 (70s)

e508de0631e2a4d41187a1f7ddce10de

113) THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS (2002)

Director: Peter Jackson

270 Points (4 Votes + 2 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Tbarrie (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Death From Above, Hobo Joe, Paco - HONORABLE MENTION: Sublime, Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%) : METACRITIC (88)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #25 (2000s)

• Like 1

zabolotsky_rushmore

112) RUSHMORE (1998)

Director: Wes Anderson

271 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Tbarrie, Lacelle, Sublime, Caley - HONORABLE MENTION: Death From Above

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (89%) : METACRITIC (86)

Criterion Collection: YES

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #26 (90s V2), #11 (90s V1)

As someone who spent a fair chunk of his childhood wearing out his Mask of the Phantasm VHS, I'm embarrassed to say that it never entered my mind when putting together my ballot. Huge oversight on my part. 

And as far as good-looking posters go, that Dazed and Confused one is doing a number on me. 

• Like 1

I feel like there should be some rage thrown at the worst of the three Lord of the Rings films (minus the Helms Deep Sequence) ranking this high. I didn't vote for any of that trilogy, as I felt those films have not aged particularly well, but that makes me nervous about how high the other two films will end up ranking.

118) Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. Batman: The Animated Series is a classic and so is this. This and Heart of Ice are the best examples of the original DCAU. Alfred's reaction to Bruce as Batman for the first time is giving me goosebumps. I may have more to say about it when back on my PC though I'm having 'net issues today.

I gave an honourable mention to The Lord of The Rings trilogy as it's something I usually wouldn't watch, liked it but I'll never watch again.

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

As someone who spent a fair chunk of his childhood wearing out his Mask of the Phantasm VHS, I'm embarrassed to say that it never entered my mind when putting together my ballot. Huge oversight on my part. 

And as far as good-looking posters go, that Dazed and Confused one is doing a number on me. 

Bugger. Sounds like you would've given Mask of the Phantasm a high ranking.

List regret blows.

Case?

No Mask of The Phantasm IS the best Batman film, no question hands down, end of fuckin discussion! I'm goodam ashamed of myself for not even putting it on my list, it  shames as a human being!

It can be argued that the Adam West Batman movie might be #2

J.H.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This isn't the time or the place, but you're underselling a lot of the Timmverse. 

I'm a big DCAU fan, man from Batman: The Animated series to Batman of the Future, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker and Justice League. Many highlights but those two I brought up stand out.

Just now, The Natural said:

I'm a big DCAU fan, man from Batman: The Animated series to Batman of the Future, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker and Justice League. Many highlights but those two I brought up stand out.

I could easily make a credible DCAU top ten that touches neither. It's a deep bench. Upsell to fine people of this thread! Share your love of Apocalypse Now: Part 2!

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

117) BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (1986)

Director: John Carpenter

261 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: WNBB (#20) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Raziel, Caley, Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (82%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #44 (80s)

I am shocked, SHOCKED, that I wasn't the high vote here, but WNBB nipped in one spot ahead of me! Such a fantastic little flick.  I love Kurt Russell as the world's worst hero.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

116) IKIRU (1952)

Director: Akira Kurosawa

267 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: (BP) (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley, New Blood, Chaos, Z

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #9 (50s)

Also surprised that I wasn't the high vote here, I had it at #13.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

115) PRINCESS MONONOKE (Mononoke-hime) (1997)

Director: Hayao Miyazaki

268 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Tbarrie (#18) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley, JH, New Blood, 7

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%) : METACRITIC (76)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #54 (90s V2), #34 (90s V1)

Had this at #87.  You know, I've never watched the original version, always the dubbed one.  There's something about Gillian Anderson trying to do a wolf voice and Jada Pinkett-Smith as a Japanese woman that always makes me kind of laugh.  I really SHOULD watch the original but...

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

112) RUSHMORE (1998)

Director: Wes Anderson

271 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Tbarrie, Lacelle, Sublime, Caley - HONORABLE MENTION: Death From Above

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (89%) : METACRITIC (86)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #26 (90s V2), #11 (90s V1)

Had this at #30.  Bill Murray is so great in this.  In fact aside from the actress who plays Margaret Yang, this is pretty much a perfect film (She's kind of a bad actress whose lines sound all wrong).

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I am glad to know that all the times I brought up Mask of the Phantasm in the various pimping threads and what not, no one paid attention to it.

I remember you saying Batman: Mask of the Phantasm needed support, didn't you bring up Rev Ray? Where did you have Mask of the Phantasm? I'm happy the film's placed but it could have done better. A shame.

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

e508de0631e2a4d41187a1f7ddce10de

113) THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS (2002)

Director: Peter Jackson

270 Points (4 Votes + 2 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Tbarrie (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Death From Above, New Blood, Paco - HONORABLE MENTION: Sublime, Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%) : METACRITIC (88)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #25 (2000s)

I actually didn't vote for this film or any of the other Lord of the Rings films either.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I had it #47

It is why I called out @Rev Ray and @Brian Fowler - because I remembered them being the only other supporters (besides yourself)

Funnily - it is still way higher than I thought it was going to end up finishing

Thank you for championing Batman: Mask of the Phantasm's cause.

I agree it's placed a lot higher than we both expected.