DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

35 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I would guess i am likely the biggest Powell/Pressberger fan here, so i doubt we will see Colonel Blimp or the Red Shoes make the list, let alone tales of hoffman or stairway to heaven. 

I would wager at least one of the movies you named makes the list.

matthewgriffin_panslabyrnith700

192) PAN'S LABYRINTH (El laberinto del fauno) (2006)

Director: Guillermo del Toro

180 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#45) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Tbarrie, (BP), Sublime, Cyanide

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%) : METACRITIC (98)

Criterion Collection: YES

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #18 (2000s)

Surprised I was the high vote for Pan's Labyrinth, and I was sure I'd at least thrown an honorable mention towards The Master.

Also 'cause someone else did it, and spoiled, breakdown by director 

Spoiler

Stanley Kubrick 6

Martin Scorsese 4 + 2 HM

Spike Jonze 4

Coen Brothers 3

John Carpenter 3

Robert Zemeckis 2 + 1 HM

Christopher Nolan 2 + 1 HM

David Fincher 2

Quentin Tarantino 2

Wes Anderson 2

Paul Thomas Anderson 2

Charlie Kaufman 2

Terry Gilliam 2

Alfonso Cuaron 2

Peter Jackson 2

Brad Bird 2

Frank Capra 1 + 1 HM

Francis Ford Coppola 1 + 1 HM

Pete Docter 1 + 1 HM

Darren Aronofsky 1 + 1 HM

Akira Kurosawa 1 + 1 HM

Ted Kotcheff 1 + 1 HM

Alfred Hitchcock 1 + 1 HM

Victor Fleming 2 HM

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Fucking Biggie biopic making that search twice as hard as it needed to be

For a while there, putting Notorious in a search engine just returned links to Duran Duran videos.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, J.T. said:

For a while there, putting Notorious in a search engine just returned links to Duran Duran videos.

typing in "New Moon On Monday" kept giving me show times for Twilight movies

James

texas_chainsaw_massacre

188) THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (1974)

Director: Tobe Hooper

183 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (88%) : METACRITIC (75)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #148 (70s)

• Like 1

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 11:09 AM, RIPPA said:

196) PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES (1987)

Director: John Hughes

173 Points (2 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Sublime - HONORABLE MENTION: Ed

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #46 (80s)

Maybe the greatest comedy of all-time?  I have a limitless capacity for watching this movie.  Limitless.  One year I watched it on Canadian Thanksgiving (Which is in early October), again on American Thanksgiving, and when one of TBS or AMC were showing it all weekend, AGAIN a couple days later.

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 3:57 PM, RIPPA said:

193) ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY (2004)

Director: Adam McKay

179 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Paco (#23) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, Chaos, Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (70%) : METACRITIC (63)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #51 (2000s)

Whoops.  I probably should have had this at least as an HM.  I've watched this an extraordinary amount of times.  Perhaps my esteem was dulled by the turd sandwich of a sequel.

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 0:18 PM, RIPPA said:

216) THE WAGES OF FEAR (1953)

Director: Henri-Georges Clouzot

156 Points (2 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE:  Execproducer (#13) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Caley - HONORABLE MENTION: Z

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%) : METACRITIC (N/A)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #18 (50s)

This bounced all over my ballot, at one point being in the high teens, but ultimately settled in at #33.  Pure suspense.

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 0:57 PM, RIPPA said:

212) IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT (1967) 

Director: Norman Jewison

160 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Raziel (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Paco

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #31 (60s)

Whoops.  This should have been on my list.  It's a bad-ass film.  I think I got it confused with 'It Happened One Night' and somehow left them both off.

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 1:30 PM, RIPPA said:

209) CHUNGKING EXPRESS (Chung Hing sam lam) (1994)

Director: Kar-Wai Wong

162 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Execproducer (#43) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Chaos, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%) : METACRITIC (77)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 38 (90s V2), 39 (90 V1)

Man, if this voting had been done 10-15 years ago.  This would be WAY higher.  For many years, it was my go-to answer when people asked me what my favourite film was.  Upon several rewatches, I came to find that I didn't really much care for the first part of the film (With the cop in love with the woman in the wig, though I do love his "Do you like pineapple?" pick-up line) and it's really the second half of the film that I love with all my heart.  So it ended up at #47 on my list.  Faye Wong is so irresistibly cute in this, though.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

186) MON ONCLE (1958)

Director: Jacques Tati

184 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#15) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: JH, Jae

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #19 (50s)

I really struggled with where to put the Tati films on this list.  I had 'Mon Oncle' Top 5 for a while, had 'Mr. Hulot's Vacation' Top 5, as well, but, ultimately, it was the sheer audaciousness and scope of 'Playtime' that made it highest on my list, so Oncle fell to #15.  Of all people, my dad told me about this film.  What makes that weird, is my dad detests black and white movies, loves action movies and rarely watches foreign films unless they are martial arts ones.  One night he caught this on TV and was trying to explain it me about how funny it was.  So, a little later he found a terribly mastered VHS in a bargain bin at a Wal-Mart and bought it, and I put off watching it, thinking it was something akin to Mr. Magoo the way he described it, then finally did and was BLOWN away by this wonderfully wacky, incredibly intricate masterpiece of visual comedy.  I love all three of the major Tati films: 'Mr. Hulot's Holiday' has the biggest heart, while 'Playtime' is an amazingly ambitious film, but I think 'Mon Oncle' is the funniest.

• Like 1

290) Toy Story 3. Credit to how the film turned out having to follow the previous two entries and Pixar’s back catalogue before the film’s release. #67.

254) Scarface. #91 on my ballot. First thing that comes to mind for me about the film is the theme song and then the poster.

247) Robocop. This and Die Hard were the first films I watched before the age certificate. The film has stayed with me so I bumped it up to #82. Clarence Boddicker, what a bastard.

246) Night of the Living Dead. I rate this as the best of the Dead trilogy. Fan of the horror genre and zombies are my favourite villains from it. Historical significance and that ending also helped the film make 16th place on my ballot.

240) Finding Nemo. This closed my ballot out. Ellen DeGeneres voice work for Dory is entertaining. The speaking whale is the highlight from it.

226) Batman Begins. As a big Batman fan, of origin comic book stories be it the books, film and TV, this really did it for me. I still go back and watch scenes. The ending is the best thing from the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight trilogy. Batman Begins is the most successful reboot to come around. Thank you to @Paco voting for this film.

193) Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. Such a funny film from beginning to end. Everyone has their favourite scene but for me it’s the rival newscaster’s battle which gets me. Judd Apatow’s best comedy. Never watched the sequel.

188) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. I said wow aloud when I found out I wasn’t the highest voter for the movie. @New Blood was, #5. The film only made two ballots but high placements aided it, my #14. I watched it again for this project and it’s still unnerving with Leatherface, his family and what they do to the group of friends. Just thinking about how the film ends with Leatherface sends a legit chill down my spine.

On 20 February 2017 at 8:52 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

I'm amused that The Natural didn't vote for The Natural.

Likewise

On 21 February 2017 at 0:40 PM, J.T. said:

Holy shit.  I wasn't the highest vote for Night Of The Living Dead?

Beat

On 27 February 2017 at 2:16 PM, Chaos said:

You also have people like me who have seen it once and did not love it upon first viewing and probably should give it another go.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caley said:

I really struggled with where to put the Tati films on this list.  I had 'Mon Oncle' Top 5 for a while, had 'Mr. Hulot's Vacation' Top 5, as well, but, ultimately, it was the sheer audaciousness and scope of 'Playtime' that made it highest on my list, so Oncle fell to #15.  Of all people, my dad told me about this film.  What makes that weird, is my dad detests black and white movies, loves action movies and rarely watches foreign films unless they are martial arts ones.  One night he caught this on TV and was trying to explain it me about how funny it was.  So, a little later he found a terribly mastered VHS in a bargain bin at a Wal-Mart and bought it, and I put off watching it, thinking it was something akin to Mr. Magoo the way he described it, then finally did and was BLOWN away by this wonderfully wacky, incredibly intricate masterpiece of visual comedy.  I love all three of the major Tati films: 'Mr. Hulot's Holiday' has the biggest heart, while 'Playtime' is an amazingly ambitious film, but I think 'Mon Oncle' is the funniest.

I really failed everyone on this. I've had the Tati box set for well over a year now, and I have yet to start watching them. It's something I hope to do before year's end.