DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

5c08ade33241ace09861388b98886eda.gif

239) O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? (2000)

Director: Coen Brothers

142 Points (4 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#43) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: JH, Paco, Raziel - HONORABLE MENTION: Death From Above

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (77%) : METACRITIC (69)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 31 (2000s)

10 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I can feel Hollinger's rage, like a great disturbance in the force.

It's a damn shame that the original 90's poll thread is gone with the old board.

I broke Hollinger's brain by getting D&D in there! :lol:

• Like 1

It comes down to age (29), background (British) and your own personal criteria for ranking movies.

For me it was how a movie influenced me and my personality throughout my life, or how I think it will. Movies in my top 20-30 were life changers. 90% of the movies in my list I can quote back and forth with friends and that's part of it too.

This was a pre-emptive statement I've put out just in case Evolution (2001) makes the list and it's my fault. I regret nothing!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Holy shit.  I wasn't the highest vote for Night Of The Living Dead? 

It would've been my #1 with a bullet

Robocop would have been higher too. And I would be kicking myself for forgetting about Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. 

Reading this thread is some serious masochism on my part

Malcolm X is such a huge achievement from a filmmaking and performance perspective because it's very difficult to create a character arc that doesn't feel labored or contrived in any movie, let alone in a bio about someone that went through multiple ideological changes as Malcolm. It's long, but there isn't a single wasted moment in the entire film. 

I still quite enjoy 'Dumb and Dumber' but seeing it come right before 'Ben Hur' and 'All About Eve' - two films that often come up in best of all-time discussions - is too perfect.

Watched a bit of 'In the Mood For Love' while doing this poll and realized it wasn't on my list, so I jammed it in there.  Kevin Murphy (Who voices Tom Servo on MST3K) wrote a whole chapter about ITMFL and how boring it was (Though he conceded it was beautiful to look at) and I remember watching ITMFL and feeling like an almighty film god when I watched it, loved it and never found it boring (Even if I DID fall asleep, that was unrelated to the film!).