DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

I have the same opinion of Gone With The Wind that other people have of Shawshank.  Fuck that movie.

I did not vote for Hard Boiled.  I am a complete and utter failure.

I have this thing where I don't vote for movies that fill me with righteous indignation and enrage me to the point of causing property damage even if I totally love and respect the work, but I probably should've tried to squeeze Guess Whose Coming To Dinner on my ballot.

I think that Malcolm X is the only MY EYES BLEED WITH FURY~! movie on my ballot.

I would've made better time asking Paco and SKOS to mail me their ballots and then making my shit up from their selections.

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

286) THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE (El espíritu de la colmena) (1973)

Director: Víctor Erice

I was introduced to this film via the movie club, so thanks DVDVR Movie Club!!  Like Forbidden Games, The Curse of the Cat People, and more obviously, Pan's Labyrinth, a great film seen from a child's perspective, specifically a young girl's. Also enough religious and political symbolism to pique an interest in learning about that time and place in history. Only gets better with repeated viewings.

I have a natural aversion to 1776 since I was drug to it as a school trip as a kid in 4th grade. Though my hatred for Gone With the Wind is far deeper since I had to sit through that in boarding school for Groundhog's Day (they gave us the day off from classes only to force us into the gym and make us watch GWTW). Giving kids a day off is letting them watch "Donald Duck In Math Land" instead of having math class for a day, not making them lose 3 hours of their life to GWTW!

James

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

1776 is a solid choice. I didn't even think of that.

Only reason it didn't make the original 70s list is because I didn't vote.

I might redo the 70s next solely to correct that.

Oh Motherfucker! Found another error.

Thankfully this one isn't as bad - as I just had a movie in the wrong spot so it will only require me to renumber about 30 movies since it should have dropped already.

Birds still won't crack the Top 300 so Jae still hates me

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh Motherfucker! Found another error.

Thankfully this one isn't as bad - as I just had a movie in the wrong spot so it will only require me to renumber about 30 movies since it should have dropped already.

Birds still won't crack the Top 300 so Jae still hates me

That was what was frustrating with my attempt on the Mid-Way 10s list. I checked and rechecked and stuff still would pop up out of the blue.

I often think about how great Tombstone could have been without the studio/Cosmatos upheaval. As it is it's pretty remarkable.

Persona is challenging now; I can't imagine what it was like for audiences in 66. It didn't make my list, but several movies that did absolutely wouldn't have been made without it preceding them.