DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Adaptation is the first movie to show up where I know I watched it and at least thought it was decent but I remember NOTHING about it so I didn't feel comfortable trying to place it on my ballot

I thought it was good, but if i was putting a Charlie Kaufman movie on a list, itd be Malkovich, which i thought was the best movie in a year full of exceptional movies (1999).

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

324) ADAPTATION. (2002)

Director: Spike Jonze

106 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Lacelle (#40) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: (BP), Hobo Joe, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%) : METACRITIC (83)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 24 (2000s)

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Adaptation is the first movie to show up where I know I watched it and at least thought it was decent but I remember NOTHING about it so I didn't feel comfortable trying to place it on my ballot

I feel like 'Adaptation' is real writer's movie.  Like, if you're a writer, have some delusions of being a writer etc. etc. it's one that hits home so hard.  The scenes of him staring at his typewriter trying to will himself to write, or the way he thinks he's doing something more noble than what his brother is doing are so identifiably writer's problems that it's hard to explain it if you haven't been through it.

But, I also think it's a fascinating movie, just in general.  I love Nicolas Cage's performance as two very different twin brothers: Charlie and Donald Kaufman.  I love that Charlie Kaufman not only won an Oscar for this, but so did his fictional twin brother.  I love debating what exactly is happening in the film with myself every time I watch it

My working theory is that the first part of the movie is Charlie Kaufman's screenplay adaptation of 'The Orchid Thief', and the last part where it goes off the rails and turns into a film about drug dealing and has guns and gator attacks, is meant to be the adaptation of 'The Orchid Thief' once he asks for Donald's help.

Also, I love that they used an actual behind-the-scenes clip from the making of 'Being John Malkovich' in this movie and interwove actors from that film playing themselves with the actors from this film, playing someone else.  More than anything else, I love the scene of Charlie Kaufman hanging out in the cafe, trying to flirt with the waitress (Judy Greer) after she sees him reading a book about orchids, and then he has this fantasy of asking her out, taking her to the orchid show, making out in the woods, then when he actually asks her out, it is the most PAINFUL rejection ever.  Just crushingly bad.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I thought it was good, but if i was putting a Charlie Kaufman movie on a list, itd be Malkovich, which i thought was the best movie in a year full of exceptional movies (1999).

I did vote for a Kauffman film, and I almost had a second one towards the end of my ballot that was off the beaten path. I honestly could probably make a case for all of his except for Human Nature.

As the high vote for Magnolia, I feel I should note that I can't remember any of the stuff from the trailer where the characters identify themselves by name actually making it into the movie. 

God do I wish I had three consecutive hours to set aside this week. I want to rewatch it immediately. 

Also, I despise that poster for what I feel should be an obvious reason.

I thought I had said this but I guess I didn't

I am partly to blame for It Happened One Night being lower than it probably should.

I totally forgot I won a copy of the Criterion version via the Summer Blockbuster Pool and I only found it again a couple of days ago.

I suck

Rippa being the high vote for Austin Powers is awesome.

I think Synecdoche, NY is Kaufman's best work. It was really low radar even after this ringing endorsement from Ebert.

"Synecdoche, New York" is the best film of the decade. It intends no less than to evoke the strategies we use to live our lives. After beginning my first viewing in confusion, I began to glimpse its purpose and by the end was eager to see it again, then once again, and I am not finished. Charlie Kaufman understands how I live my life, and I suppose his own, and I suspect most of us. Faced with the bewildering demands of time, space, emotion, morality, lust, greed, hope, dreams, dreads and faiths, we build compartments in our minds. It is a way of seeming sane.

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Rippa being the high vote for Austin Powers is awesome.

This one was really tough for me to separate personal bias on as AP:IMOM came out senior year of college so there is a lot of inside jokes between me and my friends around seeing the movie multiple times in the theater (actually the whole Austin Powers franchise is that way for us).

I still quote the movie now.

It also helps that the first one has an amazing soundtrack including the "fake" band of Ming Tea that had Matthew Sweet AND Susanna Hoffs

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I have a friend who personally has Synecdoche as his all-time #1.

I'm still unclear why someone would buy a house that was on fire.

Hobo Joe is clearly the biggest fan of it on these boards as he was also the high vote in the 80s poll

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Yeah sure, I'm positive Austin Powers has aged better than Bringing Up Baby or It Happened One Night. Yup. 

Maybe - but I haven't seen it so stick that in your hat :-P

I now feel guilty for pulling Synecdoche off of my ballot. I figured I'd be a lone vote for it, and I had it low enough that I figured it wouldn't matter.

Challenging film that I keep meaning to revisit.

On the discussion of Magnolia, it's a film I keep meaning to rewatch along with Punch-Drunk Love, but I don't have the 3 hours usually to sit with it, and Magnolia didn't remind me as the type of film to break up over a couple of days. I will say I consider both films lesser PTA, but that could change with revisits over time.